The place to share knowledge about upgrades, mods, customisations and all other cool DIY projects for MPCs and other music equipment.
By Wal Martian Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:01 pm
Hey forums, I have this Akai s5000 with a busted volume pot, I need a source for a new one. I'm no electronics expert so bear with me... my local shop said it would have to be a special order, I'm hoping someone here knows where to get one on the cheap. It's turquoise with 6 pins much like this one
I'm wondering if it is the same as the 2K classic volume/rec pots.

Thanks
WM
By Star One Fri Apr 03, 2015 2:27 am
It's prolly just a 50k ohm pot honestly. Do you have a multi-meter? If I had an S5000 I'de test it and let you know. But if you have one it still should show a general to and from value as you turn it (if its dead it might jump all over but worth a shot to get a basic idea)

You'll just want to measure the height to make sure you get the right height one, and size that will fit (Depending on how it mounts). Any numbers on the bottom of it?

What you can also do is put a multi-meter on the gain knob. It's going to have the same range as the volume one.
By Dustyfinga1.0 Wed Apr 08, 2015 4:21 pm
Check Mouser website. RESEARCH THE HELL OUT OF IT, and you will be able to find it. I recommend knowing ALL specs and measurements. Once you have it all, call Mouser and ask to speak to a tech, they will ultimately lead you to a correct part number. That is how I found the correct part number for the volume pots on MPC3000. Good luck.
By Dustyfinga1.0 Tue Apr 14, 2015 3:56 am
The original pots were ALPS, they are mostly obsolete though.
By motosega Sat May 09, 2015 7:05 pm
its a dual pot, so i assume it is in the analog signal path (one pot for left one pot for right) if thats the case then we can also assume it is a logarithmic pot. the value is probably something between 50k and 500k.

when repairing audio gear, i often just replace pcb mount pots with panel mount pots and wire them up to the pcb. generic panel mount pots are easy to find.

pots that are used as voltage dividers between the positive and negative rails can often be replaced with any value you have to hand. if your pot has 5v on one side and 0v on the other then that's what you have.

you should also try cleaning it with contact cleaner spray before declaring it dead.
By tapedeck Mon May 11, 2015 6:32 pm
agree with the above - it is most likely just a stereo, logarithmic pot and while it is board mount, you could just use a regular pot and then wire it to the board.
it's two of the same configurations, one for left one for right, so just figure out what goes where and match it up on the new device.
you can figure out which side is ground by just looking for connections from the spots on the board to any other ground on the device. from there it will wire up exactly the same.
By JVC Mon May 11, 2015 6:49 pm
That pot looks like MPC-2000 classics's pot, but it might be even longer than MPC-2000 classic's pot.
I think you can find the compatible pot with shorter stem easily, but it would be difficult to locate the pot with the exactly the same length.