The place to share knowledge about upgrades, mods, customisations and all other cool DIY projects for MPCs and other music equipment.
By sciguy Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:15 am
So my minibrute broke :(
one of the knobs in the arpeggiator section (/sequencer, if it's in SE mode) stopped working. The arpeggiator was stuck at maximum swing (which just sounds goofy), and in SE mode, all sequences play back in randomized note order... :Sigh:

so i opened it up...

too many screws...

After some probing with a multimeter and oscilloscope, figured out it was in fact the rotary switch that was the issue. Desoldered it:

And proceeded to pry open the swi—
oops

well while i wait for the bleeding to stop I heated some soup (cold+snowy day today)

Back to work. Here's the deal: inside the switch, there's a couple little metal "fingers" attached to the rotating shaft. These fingers ride along some metal contacts in the body of the switch; turning the shaft makes these fingers connect different sets of contacts.
In the broken switch, these fingers broke off of the shaft.

But lucky me: the shaft piece actually has a second pair of nubs, like the ones the metal fingers were originally fastened with. (there's a reason for this, i won't explain here)
I turned down my soldering iron to the lowest temperature it could go (still enough to melt plastic), and fastened on the fingers to these new nubs, by melting the tops of the nubs so that they mushroom out over the metal.
one

two

Cool. One issue though: now the metal fingers don't line up with the original sets of contacts. The shaft piece has some bits on it that restrict the rotation of the shaft. I had to remove some of them. (forgot to take a pic after removing them)

Put the switch back together, soldered it back in, and we're good! The knob now points in a weird nonsense direction, and it actually detents to 11 different positions (originally 6), but hey, it's usable. (the extra switch positions all just map to the max swing / random sequence mode)

Screwed the board back in place, put the housing back togeth—

ok, unscrewed all the screws, took out the board, put the button caps in, reassembled everything...
And we're back!

it's all working again :smoker: (maybe in part due to my blood sacrifice...)
Only issue/quirk is that the one knob now doesn't line up with the text on the panel. Oh well, at least the arpeggiator/sequencer is usable again.
By Coz Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:14 am
Nice one. :nod:

You should check out Markus Fuller's YouTube channel if you haven't already. There's something weirdly therapeutic about seeing gear being brought back to life.