The place to share knowledge about upgrades, mods, customisations and all other cool DIY projects for MPCs and other music equipment.
By Ill-Green Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:06 am
**NOTE TO READER:This is not a tutorial**

As I wait for the arrival of the MPC Live, I decided to build a wooden stand for it. I was inspired by antique pump organs and decided to build one, ILL GREEN style :mrgreen:

That organ is not mine btw.

First, I had to vision how and where I want my equipment so I drew up a ghost pic of gear floating in the air at positions I want them for comfort. Then its burning the midnight lamp with few cups of earl grey figuring out measurements and spacing. After cutting the wood pieces according to my measurements, I begin putting it all together with corner brackets and Liquid Nails.

This is all for today. As you can see, I made the lower compartment to store vinyl records and CDs. Already beginning the desk area but I have to wait until the glue dries to install it in.

Later on, you'll see the progress of building the shelves for the CD player and turntable. The turntable will be a pull out draw :) also shelves for the speakers. I also plan to install fans inside for a venting system.

Thats why its the Super Wood Stand :nod:

In the end, it will look like a pump organ but with an MPC-Live inside, stay tuned.
By Coz Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:27 am
Interesting project... :popcorn:

I'd reconsider boxing your speakers into the cabinet if that's what you were planning on? Acoustically it'll give you all manner of problems.
By Ill-Green Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:26 pm
Coz wrote:Interesting project... :popcorn:

I'd reconsider boxing your speakers into the cabinet if that's what you were planning on? Acoustically it'll give you all manner of problems.

Ah ha! You a home theater aficionado. Yes, I put thought into it, planned to make a tight spot for the speakers ,which are 4 inch Micca passive speakers, and cover any openings with foam. The speakers will be behind a thin grill sheet or fabric to project the music toward me. We'll see how it goes :-D

Later today, I'll post more progress, almost finished the desk area and rackstations. Next will be pull out turntable and speaker setup.
By Ill-Green Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:13 pm
Day 2-Not even halfway finished but finished for today.

By Ill-Green Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:42 pm
Day 3-Just finished the skeleton and working on the airduct system and speaker shelves. Hope to give it guts and skin...

Day 4-Adjusting and working on the outer panels. Its gonna be a beauty. I'll do more work next Wednesday.
By inflict3 Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:15 am
That's looking good homie, can't wait to see it finished
By Ill-Green Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:34 pm
inflict3 wrote:That's looking good homie, can't wait to see it finished

Thanks bro, planning the pull out draw now, after that its sanding, assembling and staining (my favorite part) but I don't want to finish too quickly for the Live has not been released yet. Just doing 4 hours a workday. By Saturday it should be built completely, we'll see though. :nod:
By Ill-Green Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:03 pm
Got the vents ready, foam padded and now its time to make it look like an antique organ. Lots of detailed work ahead the next 2 or 3 days.

By Ill-Green Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:42 am
Update:just multitasking it at this point using old wood from the shed for details. Staining it and hooking up the electronics right now, but still gotta add the roof and pull out draw for the turntable.