The place to share knowledge about upgrades, mods, customisations and all other cool DIY projects for MPCs and other music equipment.
By LZ Roberts Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:37 pm
From MPC 1000 thread:-

LZ Roberts wrote:
One solution that forum users keep mentioning is to open up the box and spray DeOxit into the switch, then work it in a bit. I don't know how long lasting or effective this is and would like to hear from anyone who's tried this.

MP3 wrote:
Its long lasting and effective. My buttons started getting stiff over a year and a half ago, and my sliders started to act funny (jumpy, inconsistent, they developed a mind of their own lol) after the MP had been sitting for about 4 months. Deoxit fixed both of those issues and I haven't had a problem since.

The trick with the tact switches is that you have to use deoxit as soon as you notice the buttons are getting stiff. If you keep going, eventually the tact switches will wear out and at that point deoxit is no good.

-----------------------------------------------

Seems like this Deoxit stuff is quite magical, so worth a try for non soldering forum users, or even soldering forum users for that matter.

I've tried Servisol but its just not the same.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/s ... ogle.co.uk

http://store.caig.com/s.nl/sc.2/category.188/.f

viewtopic.php?f=41&t=158888

Apparently its good for old patchbays if your normalising or sockets go a bit iffy, so handy stuff to have around anyway by the sound of it.

Anyone giving their tact switches a fix with either method in the near future, let us know how you get on.

Cheers All.
Last edited by LZ Roberts on Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
By aes-one Sat Apr 02, 2011 7:08 pm
de-oxit did the trick for me..at least for now. i think i stil wana replace the switches out eventually tho.

on a slightly unrelated note....i have a can of deoxit and cailube from way back when i was heavy into djing...de oxit spray is magical on faders of dj mixers, for all my DJ's out there. clean the fader out with some rubbing alcohol and spray some deoxit on the rails...itll be smooth for a long ass time
By biggs Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:53 am
Hey I'm trying to replace my 16 level button (tact switch) and I'm not sure how to remove the board to get under the switch to do my soldering. I see screws that I can take out but there are some wire connections that I don't know how to disconnect. Saw a post that said the connectors can somehow release the wires but I feel as though I might break it.

What am I not doing? Or doing wrong? Any advice is appreciated.
By inflict3 Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:53 am
Nym wrote:
You're crazy my dude

yes.

I could use some pics of your joint with the dual mode buttons

you can kinda see them on the corner of my mpc in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PcyuM1VGRk

yo, yo, yo.. i never even thought if that!!!.. so u got it as ur left and right arrows?? what does that do for you?? i was thinking of doing the track up and down, i think its f5 and f6.. what about cloning the start play button as a soft key??!! lol
By biggs Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:36 am
Alright i found a video where this guy took his mpc2500 apart to solder on a rotary encoder so that helped me with getting the wire connections off properly without breaking.

Now it seems as though my soldering gun is not getting hot enough to melt the old solder i even tried applying some new solder and then heating it up again but nothing.

So I'm throwing in the towel for now and looking for a professional who might have some time to remove the old switches for me.

I'll keep you guys posted in the near future on how I work this out.
By emceewhiterabbit Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:36 am
jimmie wrote:
emceewhiterabbit wrote:i would love to try deoxit, but which one to go for? is it legal to order stuff like that from america?

You can buy it from UK stores. Just google it.

i did :(
By Jungleman Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:36 am
It does not have to be deoxit. I've succesfully used any stuff I can find that is suitable for cleaning electronics. I've cleaned tact switches, pots, jacks, sockets, whatever, on countless pieces of equipment: MPCs, mixers, rack and pedal effects, hi-fi amps, guitars, synths and so on.

What matters is that the cleaner should not contain any grease or lubricant and that it evaporates without leaving any residue. It usually says so on the can. If in doubt, ask.
By Jungleman Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:30 pm
biggs wrote:What happens if it contains a lubricant? :o

You'll want to clean up the tact switches (or other parts), not get any extra stuff in there. Lubricants tend to slowly gather dust and particles - you don't want that in electrical contacts. Even just compressed air does a better job.