The place to share knowledge about upgrades, mods, customisations and all other cool DIY projects for MPCs and other music equipment.
By emceewhiterabbit Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:35 pm
Nym wrote:i never heard of one of those going out before, but you probably are just being thorough

thank God for that

Coz wrote:
emceewhiterabbit wrote:i just ordered 150 of them lol, had to make a minimum order with them if using credit card. i doubt i will use more than fifty if you're interested in me sending you some.

How much did you pay for these?

i think it's thirteen pence a switch. 150 ended up at £20.

konc3pt wrote:...is cursor tacts the same as the rest or they're also different?

they are the small tacts. the big ones are all the bottom line on both sides of the pads, the tap tempo and maybe one other big one...
By LZ Roberts Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:52 pm
emceewhiterabbit wrote:BIG UP my homie Ken for fixing my MPC on short notice. these buttons work better than the day i bought this machine no word of a lie. anyone who is thinking of soldering new buttons on: find an engineer friend!

Nice one whiterabbit, those tacts do make all the difference, don't they?

Really pleased for you that you managed to get it sorted. :D :D :D :D
By philphil Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:12 pm
Hi guys,
Just wanted to share my recent DEOXIT D5 experience.

- SUCCESS!

First I opened the mpc case and took the plastic button away from the motherboard, revealing the faulty switch.

I did as described on the can. Spray a bit on the switch, activate it a few times so the solution penetrates the switch, wait a few seconds and repeat all the above once. Wait 3 or 4 minutes so it dries DONE.

My mpc1000 left arrow button was showing serious signs of weariness as I had to push heavily 3 or 4 times before it worked. Well, those days are gone (for the moment at least).

One thing I suggest is to try to spray elsewhere first as a tryout. The switch doesn't need to be immersed in a puddle of deoxit so you can adapt the spray debit with the pressure from your finger,. Even the low-debit spray position you can select from the top of the can is too much debit for such a small switch.
Also the little straw which came with the can doesn't lodge itself in hole of the cap so you have to hold it yourself while spraying.

All this will seem pretty obvious when doing it but I thought it'd still be interesting to know.

In other words, if your buttons start acting funny and if you can't solder = DEOXIT D5. Period.

If you have questions, if you need more explanations, I'll be glad to help.

Have a good day.

P.
By emceewhiterabbit Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:53 am
LZ Roberts wrote:
emceewhiterabbit wrote:BIG UP my homie Ken for fixing my MPC on short notice. these buttons work better than the day i bought this machine no word of a lie. anyone who is thinking of soldering new buttons on: find an engineer friend!

Nice one whiterabbit, those tacts do make all the difference, don't they?

Really pleased for you that you managed to get it sorted. :D :D :D :D

thank you for your kind words, i can only wish that everyone has as much luck as i :D

Coz wrote:
emceewhiterabbit wrote:i think it's thirteen pence a switch. 150 ended up at £20.

Nice. 8)

true, considering that renali risotto charges €5.60 a switch on his website, 150 switches working out at a staggering €540!!

although now i have a shoot load of switches. i think ken actually might get an mpc anyway so the least i can do is give the dude some switches to make his life a little easier :)
By Coz Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:20 am
emceewhiterabbit wrote:although now i have a shoot load of switches.

If you want to recoup some cash hit me up. :wink:

I'm convinced I can do it myself, but if I do I'll probably replace the lot!
By emceewhiterabbit Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:03 am
Coz wrote:
emceewhiterabbit wrote:although now i have a shoot load of switches.

If you want to recoup some cash hit me up. :wink:

I'm convinced I can do it myself, but if I do I'll probably replace the lot!

it's not too difficult (check youtube) but if you make an incy wincy mistake... you may lose the MPC (((((forever))))).

i will PM you in a sec.
By jimmie Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:09 pm
Another thumbs up for this thread.

I just replaced 20 switches with the ALPS-SKHHAKA010 from Farnell.
Painless. De-soldering braid eeeeessential (I don't have a pump).

Before that I replaced every switch on my Roland TR606 with new Omron's.
By dtaa pla muk Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:01 pm
it's not too difficult (check youtube) but if you make an incy wincy mistake... you may lose the MPC (((((forever))))).

while working on the L/R op boards you'd have to make more than an incy wincy mistake - those boards don't really hold any essential circuitry. the motherboard's where all that dangerous stuff is.

even if you eff up your terminals you can still clip them and run a jumper cable over the injured part (been there on other gear)

mpc owners have a lot pushing them to learn some electronicisms, i guess that's one good thing about the bad tact switches/pad issues etc
By emceewhiterabbit Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:21 pm
Nym wrote:even if you eff up your terminals you can still clip them and run a jumper cable over the injured part (been there on other gear)

Oh really? is it a difficult task?
By dtaa pla muk Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:36 pm
nah, not at all. if you can do a children's maze you can patch a pcb.
even if you completely eff up a terminal, you can still run wires off the leads and put the button somewhere else, even in a box outside the MPC.

i have an extra mode button that i added to my MPC case so i can change tracks easier (mode+data wheel). i just added it in parallel to the original mode button.
By emceewhiterabbit Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:10 pm
Nym wrote:nah, not at all. if you can do a children's maze you can patch a pcb.
even if you completely eff up a terminal, you can still run wires off the leads and put the button somewhere else, even in a box outside the MPC.

i have an extra mode button that i added to my MPC case so i can change tracks easier (mode+data wheel). i just added it in parallel to the original mode button.

wow, good to know. thanks very much :)