The place to share knowledge about upgrades, mods, customisations and all other cool DIY projects for MPCs and other music equipment.
By taiden Mon May 21, 2012 4:38 am
Can you just wire the battery in parallel with the 12v receptacle? Or does there need to be some kind of charging circuit
By mQueue Mon May 21, 2012 3:42 pm
taiden wrote:Can you just wire the battery in parallel with the 12v receptacle? Or does there need to be some kind of charging circuit

If you look at the battery I included in the post, theres one barrel terminal for hooking up to output and one barrel terminal for input. The battery's output terminal would hook into the PicoPSU and the input terminal would hook up to a 12v AC-DC adapter for charging (and I believe at the same time AC power, but that needs to be tested).
By taiden Mon May 21, 2012 4:20 pm
mQueue wrote:
taiden wrote:Can you just wire the battery in parallel with the 12v receptacle? Or does there need to be some kind of charging circuit

If you look at the battery I included in the post, theres one barrel terminal for hooking up to output and one barrel terminal for input. The battery's output terminal would hook into the PicoPSU and the input terminal would hook up to a 12v AC-DC adapter for charging (and I believe at the same time AC power, but that needs to be tested).

I see that. I just assumed it was for chaining batteries. So it seems most of the work has already been done for you.

Well done mate.
By inflict3 Mon May 21, 2012 4:31 pm
im stoked to see the outcome! screw anyone who thinks this is spam, at first i was weary, like remember that dude johny jamms who was having people send him their gear to customize it and never sending it back?? this dude here seems straight up, and he aint tryin to get nothing sent to him :D
By innovine Tue May 22, 2012 8:03 pm
Can we see a proper wiring diagram please? Or get some information on the wiring?
By mQueue Tue May 22, 2012 8:13 pm
innovine wrote:Can we see a proper wiring diagram please? Or get some information on the wiring?

Here's the pinout for the ATX harness (its the 20 pin one on the right):

http://www.smpspowersupply.com/connector_atx_pinout.GIF

If you look at where the MPCs power supply connects to the ADDA board, you can see the pins are labeled with their voltage. I'll have to take a close pic later, but the voltages are...

+12v
-12v
GND
GND
+5v
+5v

+12v gets hooked up to PIN 10 on the ATX harness
-12v gets hooked up to PIN 12 on the ATX harness
GND gets hooked up to PIN 13 on the ATX harness
GND gets hooked up to PIN 16 on the ATX harness
+5v gets hooked up to PIN 19 on the ATX harness
+5v gets hooked up to PIN 20 on the ATX harness

In order to power the power supply on, PIN 14 needs to be connected to ground. You can connect PIN 14 to PIN 15 and the power supply will always be on as long as it's receiving power. If you want a switchable power supply, you can add a small switch between PINs 14 and 15.

Hope you've gotten over that case of cynicism! : )
By b.read Tue May 22, 2012 8:15 pm
A battery powered 1000 with a new XL screen from mpc-stuff and that shit will be BAAAAAAD to the bone. :D
By mr_debauch Tue May 22, 2012 8:32 pm
b.read wrote:A battery powered 1000 with a new XL screen from mpc-stuff and that shit will be BAAAAAAD to the bone. :D

yeah, all you'll need is a wrist strap
By sparq Wed May 23, 2012 4:24 am
all you need now is a modded JJOS to indicate when battery is running low and when its fully charged and an amber/green led on the outside
By innovine Wed May 23, 2012 12:06 pm
mQueue wrote:Hope you've gotten over that case of cynicism! : )

Enough to open my mpc and have a poke around with a multimeter, yep :)
By galganael Wed May 23, 2012 6:35 pm
b.read wrote:This is an interesting advancement, but why not just post the details up for the whole forum to see? Any concerns about secrecy on plans etc. aren't safe via PM...and I'm sure a lot of people would be interested in hearing whatcha have up your sleeve, myself included. :)

Agree. Can you post publicly so everyone can see? Also interested.
By mQueue Fri May 25, 2012 4:58 pm
galganael wrote:
b.read wrote:This is an interesting advancement, but why not just post the details up for the whole forum to see? Any concerns about secrecy on plans etc. aren't safe via PM...and I'm sure a lot of people would be interested in hearing whatcha have up your sleeve, myself included. :)

Agree. Can you post publicly so everyone can see? Also interested.

I have a document in the works that can outline the steps and general information about the pieces that go into making it work. I'm unfortunately still waiting on a battery to come, can't really finish the doc until I have a working prototype.

From reading what I've posted so far, what do you feel in the dark about?
By dazastah Fri May 25, 2012 11:33 pm
sparq wrote:all you need now is a modded JJOS to indicate when battery is running low and when its fully charged and an amber/green led on the outside

Fark yeah!! +1

This is killa man!!! I've just been on a camping trip where this mod would of worked a charm!

b.read wrote:A battery powered 1000 with a new XL screen from mpc-stuff and that **** will be BAAAAAAD to the bone.

OH YEAH!! +1
Im so excited i'v been off the net for about 2weeks and all this development is crazy!!!

Nice progress!
By rafa771 Sat May 26, 2012 7:55 pm
Man this is exciting. I've been formulating a plan to use the MPC Fly on my commute to and from work and clean up projects on my 2500 at home. This woyld be WAY better. If this works out I can have both my mobile and home rig running JJOS, swap CF cards, and keep working seemlessly. Add that to an iPhone w/ Sampletank and some dope synths and you've got a KILLER portable studio.
By Sooty_G Sun May 27, 2012 6:10 am
i only have one question at this point: what is the real world battery performance going to be? how long will you be able to go on one battery?