The place to share knowledge about upgrades, mods, customisations and all other cool DIY projects for MPCs and other music equipment.
By Tag One The Fader Fiend Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:26 pm
mQueue wrote:Have been working on some other stuff, though I have been using the 1000 with the battery, pretty cool actually.

It's been nice for drumming in the car with an aux input to the radio (esp if you got a system :) ).

As far as the battery explosion/leakage goes; if you want to play it safe there are sealed batteries, you would have to find one that fits. Using an external battery is definitely a viable option.

I have not yet integrated the regulator, I have one but have been too lazy to hook it up, the 1000 seems to be working fine without it, I just only use it on a good charge.

I feel my part of this is near done; it looks like all of this can be done for <$50 plus the cost of whatever batteries you'd like. I've been promising to type up an in depth document to have all the info in one place, I will still do that, but the proof of concept is here, I don't feel there's too much more left for me to do and have some other oddball ideas to work out, this one is free for you guys to run with.

Look forward to the document and thanks for all the hard work you have put in :nod:
By elmacaco Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:16 pm
Great Work mQueue!

I have been using my MPC with an external battery pack sometimes, but it doesn't give me enough time. You raised the DC issue, and I was wondering if you or anyone knows if it would be possible to leave the stock power supply intact, but modify the MPC 1000 with a DC input to supply power after the power supply? That way the battery pack can provide the 12 V. DC instead of the 120/240v AC which runs down the battery faster.

Ideally it would not be tough, might take a special cable so the input is small and not to be confused with other input sources. Knowing some electronics, I figure the only danger would be connecting the mains while the battery is plugged in for DC. I can remember not to do that, but perhaps the power supply won't like seeing 12 volts DC it isn't making even if it is off and I will need some kind of switch to select, then that switch will have to be hard to engage and out of the way so it isn't accidentally hit.

Just wondering, I would do this but I don't really want to operate as extensively as you have. Props.
By mQueue Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:09 pm
You would need some sort of a switch to switch the 6 wires that go into the AD/DA board from external supply to internal supply.

A simple A/B switch would work I think.
By sciguy Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:13 pm
Might not even need to switch all 6, depending on what the connections are. E.g. a ground connection wouldn't need to be switched, it could just be always connected to both.
By elmacaco Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:23 pm
Yeah, I'm thinking of jacking in after the power supply with just the 12v DF and ground. Maybe some protection diodes.

Does the mpc run on +/- 12 v, +5v?

It would be super easy if its just +12v and ground.
By mQueue Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:10 pm
elmacaco wrote:Does the mpc run on +/- 12 v, +5v?

You got it.
By elmacaco Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:17 pm
Thanks Mqueue, that does make it a bit more difficult. Congratulations on getting this to work, it is truly incredible!
By inflict3 Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:25 pm
is ur mpc1000 still going strong?? did it fry yet??
By mQueue Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:49 pm
inflict3 wrote:is ur mpc1000 still going strong?? did it fry yet??

Still going strong. I don't use it all that often, but still works like a charm.
By Tag One The Fader Fiend Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:51 pm
mQueue wrote:Still going strong. I don't use it all that often, but still works like a charm.

Any chance of you uploading some photos?
By inflict3 Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:20 am
mQueue wrote:
inflict3 wrote:is ur mpc1000 still going strong?? did it fry yet??

Still going strong. I don't use it all that often, but still works like a charm.

i was gonna do this mod to my 1000, but after picking it up and realizing i would not wanna carry the 1000 around in a back pack, its just too damn heavy., and i just love using my 500 way more then my 1000 anyway… so i remember you saying the battery puts out less voltage after its in use for a while and you were scared it would mess up the 1000's circuitry..is this an issue? have you run the 1000 all the way till the battery dies? how many hours have you run the 1000 on the battery??
By pitir Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:06 am
I'm also very interested to hear more how it turned out and see some photos/videos. Im planning to travel around this summer with a small portable turntable, porta and my mpc1000. I'll probably wont always be close to a power socket so it's important all this can run on batteries. The problem is to get the mp mobile. If I could run it on a laptop battery I would be so **** happy I'll pee my pants!

(mpc500 is not an option)
By submarine1 Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:18 am
Upping thread because I'm interested in knowing more.
I am a newbie to site

@mQueue

can I get more/updated info?
By inflict3 Wed Dec 02, 2015 6:01 am
this was an sick thread!! has anyone else tried this mod??
By Kir2102 Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:11 pm
bump

now 2017, we can buy a 20000 mah powerbank for 20$ with two 1A outputs.
and there is some 2$ usb to 12v converter also available.
If you combine both you have 5v usb and 12V, exactly what mpc1k need isn'it?

so adding 2 dc jack input to the mpc would permit to run it on battery at small cost, without too much work inside the device and less than 1kg extra weight.

I don't have a mpc1000 :D but just thinking about this since as a maschine user, I would like an hardware to make the same job when i'm in a "hardware is better" mood. and being able to run it on battery will be great great great.

Any remarks about this idea and its feasibility?