The place to share knowledge about upgrades, mods, customisations and all other cool DIY projects for MPCs and other music equipment.
By bliprock Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:26 am
Ok so I know my manual says that my record inputs are balanced but outputs are not. I was gonna make cable for invert phase and his is not option if I have to go from unbalanced to balanced. A bit of research I did for a passive invert phase contraption has led me to believe I should really take account of CMMR, and the best way is to use the hot + from the unbalanced signal and put it through a impedance matched passive network to the usual balanced output.
I do not want to use transformer as I want passive circuit.
So I am gonna add ground lift switch to, so that I guess would mean toggle switch to break shield to earth. thats easy. Any one made this circuit at all?? Oh yeah and another toggle switch to switch pins 2 and 3 on balanced line out and that will invert phase ?
By terry towelling Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:01 am
bliprock wrote:...
I do not want to use transformer as I want passive circuit.
So I am gonna add ground lift switch to, so that I guess would mean toggle switch to break shield to earth. thats easy. Any one made this circuit at all?? Oh yeah and another toggle switch to switch pins 2 and 3 on balanced line out and that will invert phase ?

i've made a few DI boxes. very easy builds. You won't be able to stop at one. Yep, use a toggle switch for ground lift. that sounds right for phase invert as well. but i haven't built that.

The ones I made use a transformer and are passive. So I don't understand your comment about not wanting to use a transformer. But then again, I don't have much of a grasp on the theory or what the things I build actually do. I just follow a schematic and put the bits and pieces together.
By golfdogz Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:06 am
pretty much all of what you just said went straight over my head haha.. however when i had my 1000 i was thinking would it work to just run it through a passive dual DI box that has a ground lift feature.

like this one - worked for lifting hum when i was using unbalanced cables through a cheap audio interface
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/2 ... n_Box.html

im not sure how that is different from what you are proposing.

but is the 1000 unblanced outputs because it is grounded internally or something? it seems wierd that the 1000 is the only one released without balanced outputs.. i mean it sounded pretty noise free to me.
By bliprock Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:48 pm
heya terry. cool awesome yeah there is a passive transformer design apparently and that is what a electronics guy I know told me to, so thanks.... :oops: like in every DI. Yeah I will have to look into them. I think more expensive though cos of transformer so maybe not lol. this is tow capacitors and resistors and transistor to make an impedance matched network. add switches and hey presto you get unbalanced to balanced box with ground lift and invert switches. Might as well put in an unbalanced out as well as through with another switch, yeah so i can A/B them. Cool.

Heya Golfdogz - I am not making DI or anything for buzz/hum earth problems. I want simple invert phase in a box. But as you know things like MPC1000 have unbalanced outs, so gotta be balanced first and then it can be inverted. So that is what I am doing. I will have to double it, if it works, to make it stereo. If I can get away with being able to just replicate the other stereo side with no problems then I am sorted. But you know I have to read a lot more to know about stereo signals just in case.

Ground lift can sort buzz hum, but if you have to resort to DI to remove hum/buzz or ground loop problems then you have to sort out problem and not use DI IMHO. earth your equipment properly. Check all plugs. WARNING Electricity does kill. Use a power conditioner. Dont use lights on same electricity loop. Check for RF ect ect ect. There are a hundred things.

I got a friend that took out a hammond (i think) organ spring reverb and put it into a 3 watt valve guitar amp. very nice. So thinking making a plate or spring reverb unit as well. Cos they are pretty easy and very usable. Then its onto a bit reducer maybe or filter. cos once you start you only want to add to it. unbalanced to balance Invert phase first then the rest. And you know I think a module idea here is good cos I know that I want to be able to patch it to the other projects above.
By TYPO Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:02 pm
I am just curious as what is the main point of focus instruments vocals drums etc
that you want to invert phase?
By bliprock Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:22 pm
some times you get sounds that are starting in the negative phase instead the positive at the start of the wave form typo. This flips wave form upside down, useful, and can also be used as frequency canceler if summed with the same uninverted signal for phase cancellation.
Also it is unbalanced to truly balanced signal out so handy to have that as well. So it is not really a DI. So typo its for any sample that needs inverting. i mean I will have it patched to a MPC out all the time so as to have that option for resampling anything anytime. Make sense? Its like a lot quicker to flip a switch than save it, use USB, open software, invert it save it then back again. Its quicker if I flip a switch and sample it. So its not like phase boxes that change the signals time either, it just flips waveform and a few other things. And every project I make that takes unbalanced ins will need this as well probably, so its good to suss out.
By TYPO Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:36 am
bliprock wrote:some times you get sounds that are starting in the negative phase instead the positive at the start of the wave form typo. This flips wave form upside down, useful, and can also be used as frequency canceler if summed with the same uninverted signal for phase cancellation.
Also it is unbalanced to truly balanced signal out so handy to have that as well. So it is not really a DI. So typo its for any sample that needs inverting. i mean I will have it patched to a MPC out all the time so as to have that option for resampling anything anytime. Make sense? Its like a lot quicker to flip a switch than save it, use USB, open software, invert it save it then back again. Its quicker if I flip a switch and sample it. So its not like phase boxes that change the signals time either, it just flips waveform and a few other things. And every project I make that takes unbalanced ins will need this as well probably, so its good to suss out.

Understand the request now and obvious requested feature.Would be better implemented into the O.S.Peace TYPO
By bliprock Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:23 am
tell me about it typo. They even had it as feature in the list. Pulled it when i mentioned it i think to, as I do not see it now. And they have told me that it is not happening so do not get it at all. its very WTF :hmmm: but at least I know this circuit now and its useful for other instruments to.
And I'm usually such a XL pusher to, always recommend it over the other ones. Like hello, makes me such a fanboy but **** its cos I dig it man. Maybe i need to do a video of me working with it to give em an idea, cos sometimes I think it goes over their heads what I am saying. like they dont get it at all. WTF :fku: pong but no cant double chord shapes to 64. Like **** they cant. Its priorities I know, but its meant to make music not give me a high score. :roll: I mean come on. That is to me a misunderstanding of the priority of functions. If I got an explanation to why such a valid, useful, wanted, and easily implemented idea is not done then yeah ok. But you do not get that. So leaves me in the cold. And i am not one to be demanding. I made a heap of requests, usually validated by other users to, but I consider them. I do not **** too much, and I still push Xl but wonder if my heart is still in it. Cos here I am totally left out in the cold as if I have no input at all. Its like I am ignored, really feels like it hey. I think about it a lot too. Hence rant. I mean sorry but I was working under the proviso that we could better the software with input from users. Sure, you do have to appraise the requests, but its a music/midi production centre so it is not like I am requesting another game besides pong. yeah go on put in tetris, that would make my day. I have to stop myself from PMing people and getting all rude and shit, cos its like I have to kick some ones arse or something, before anyone starts taking it serious, or just get it. i do not make up requests for fun. i approach it as professionally as possible. But now I am over it i feel like telling people off. Like really having a go at everyone involved. Hey I am fair, I start with WTF what is the deal guys. Its **** because I can not say jack, can I? If I do they just mark me as an **** and ignore me. But if I just sit here, same outcome.... catch 22. WTF
Though maybe they marked me as **** already, and I am just being blocked. I just do not get it at all. Its like I make request, they go sorry no, we can not do this..... but I think its polite lie, I know a bit about programming, I was not born yesterday. So pong is better than say 64 chord shapes. Like **** it is. Any user that says other wise i can not take seriously at all. It is not funny to me, and I take it serious and to heart so get **** way pissed off about this. I know, they know there is not another option, so I am beholden to them. But they seem unable to grasp WHY I am beholden to them and JJOSXL> like they do not get it at all. WTF. come on guys. lets not make it better, lets make it THE BEST. Does anyone get me? I do not give a rats arse about if the cursor is a bit buggy or things like that. thats not what I am ever interested in, or making like every other MPC, that is pointless to me. Just expand on the foundation and finish it, so I can say its the best. Then i can continue selling Xl to every user I meet. Because I do, IRL an on here. Like hello again. They know it. surely. ****. I am not asking for a miracle. or even a new OS for a bigger screen, so I am asking for better consideration of function priorities... As in is it a gameboy or is a production tool? if it is a production tool, why is pong a higher priority than say 64 chord shapes? I am being a bastard here, cos there is no real answer to that question. No one could answer that pong is a higher priority that with a straight face, if they say its meant to be an MPC not a gameboy first. So i will still flog Xl but .... It just pains me that when I do I have to bite my tongue and not start ranting like i do about the above. The whole thing blows my mind hey. i do not get it, they do not get me. WTF am I supposed to do? just drop it and resign MPC. Cos I hit **** the limit of what it can do everyday and i want those features so as to not feel as limited and set me free. Or don't they get that. pppfffffttt see no matter how I rationalise the above, I can not still be satisfied. Sure XL is great, can not live with out it but..... hello, this aint a game, or an ego trip, this is end user input. You know? i know they can do half what I ask. Not everything i ask, sure, but the things i mentioned above can be. I think I should just say 'no guys, not acceptable, do it by next tuesday thanks'. Like as an end user/supporter/ shit I would go as for to say power user, that I expect some respect back. Only cos of above, and pong and shit am I ranting for every one to see. Its a two way street, I support the OSXL but I expect some support back. If like a hundred people posted hey bliprock your ideas suck, I would be less inclined to think that my requests are useful. But I am a user like you, so you see that what I say is useful, usaully! So what is the deal? how many years do I need to wait till I am taken seriously./
sorry typo but that was a red flag to a bull saying....
TYPO wrote:Understand the request now and obvious requested feature.Would be better implemented into the O.S.Peace TYPO
I am banging my head against a wall here, so had to make hardware. then you say this. I could keep going to. all day about it. no worries there. but for all your sakes I wont. I type this as my MPC is playing a sequence I am working on, so back to that ......... rant /