The place to share knowledge about upgrades, mods, customisations and all other cool DIY projects for MPCs and other music equipment.
By jurrell Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:37 pm
hey all, i was considering the possibility of coating my mpc in a collage of classic album covers but i'd want it to have a nice even painted style surface without ridges etc between covers or without any noticeable texture on the surface. has anyone got any ideas on how this may be possible? also how to lacquer the whole thing without the covers spreading/bleeding and turnin it into a black smudge? thanks.
By ArKyve-31 Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:46 pm
the easiest way is to find photos of the albums online, then go to styleflip.com upload the images on their editor and then purchase the skin, or make the collage in photoshop (or any editor) then load that photo as the background on the styleflip webpage. that way you can peel it off if you ever want to and when applying it you don't jeopardize your mpc in the process.
By tapedeck Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:54 pm
^ i agree.
doing this digitally then printing out ONE sticker would solve all your problems.

basically if you have to ask about this stuff, you might not have the experience necessary to pull it off super clean like you want.
By jurrell Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:09 am
hey all, my bad about the late response. as simple as that sounds i actually didnt think of it haha. issue is that i want the images literally all over my mp just excluding the functional areas rather than just having the images across the top surface, not sure if i am correct but im assuming that the styleflip sticker will cover only the top surface? also yeah i reseal i may not be aptly experienced to carry out the renovation myself (at the present time) but i am pretty resourceful and if i could get some general ideas about how to carry out such a project im sure i'd find my way. Anyway thanks for the replys, bear in mind it is not definite that i will do this i am just testing the water atm to see how much work it would be and what results i could expect, peace
By MPC-Tutor Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:26 pm
While styleflip or similar would work, I think actually gluing bits of paper will have a better, more tactile result.

Bit random, but we've done something similar in our utility room, except we've used black and white ink jet printed pictures of the family, randomly pasted on to the wall directly using wallpaper paste. Looks great. I think printing off album art and gluing on to an MPC would work well, even with the differing heights where the paper overlaps. finish off with some kind of varnish.

You might want to cover the MPC with a skin first though, and then paste to the skin so the whole thing is easier to remove if need be. Or just get a sheet of fablon and cut it to size.
By tapedeck Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:34 pm
MPC-Tutor wrote:While styleflip or similar would work, I think actually gluing bits of paper will have a better, more tactile result.

Bit random, but we've done something similar in our utility room, except we've used black and white ink jet printed pictures of the family, randomly pasted on to the wall directly using wallpaper paste. Looks great. I think printing off album art and gluing on to an MPC would work well, even with the differing heights where the paper overlaps. finish off with some kind of varnish.

You might want to cover the MPC with a skin first though, and then paste to the skin so the whole thing is easier to remove if need be. Or just get a sheet of fablon and cut it to size.

i think the actual physcial media collage works well on a large flat surface, when talking about a non-flat surface with lots of nooks and crannies, i dont think it would hold up too well. :mrgreen:
By damien907 Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:53 pm
i would go styleflip on this 100% that is unless you dont care about having your button labels. although you could use a label maker and print the labels then stick them next to your buttons and pads so you could have them labeled that way.

be warned though, this is VERY hard to get to look perfect, but i think for your project it will work alot better than what i did and messed up. if you want to go this route, be 100% sure this is what you want to do.

the only reason im suggesting this is that i think the label maker would look better on your project than i thought it would on mine ( i just painted my mpc all white, then was gonna stick the labels on it, but ended up thinking "this looks like shit" and removed the stickers, then in the process of trying to remove the paint that i put on, i scraped off all of the factory paint as well.

if you are considering this, read the topic i just posted about label makers and buttons, you can see the aftermath of my mpc screen as well :lol: :lol: :lol:

honestly though, i would just go stylefilp if i were you.

viewtopic.php?f=41&t=159485
By Clint Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:44 pm
I reckon MPC-Tutor's idea is a viable solution. I've seen many MPC's in photos that have had random stickers and stuff put on them by the owners, and somehow they just look more 'natural' and less contrived. Look like they been on tour collecting memories (and character) along the way.

Of course, there is a place for Styleflip with more complex (and disposable) designs, but ultimately with a collage the artist is responsible for the look, style and evolution of the creation.

Here is a bad example of an album cover skin.

Don't let this happen to your MPC.
By konc3pt Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:28 pm
Nym wrote:lacquered newspaper would look badass.

preferfably news print from the very first mpc being released