The place to share knowledge about upgrades, mods, customisations and all other cool DIY projects for MPCs and other music equipment.
By JUKE 179r Sun Jan 03, 2010 7:24 pm
NICE!!! :angry:

Good luck on that project ssp!
By proppa Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:36 pm
can i just say that as someone who's researching the bmp this thread was convoluted to the gills with Beef. good Lord..

and, to SSP that is one of the most inspiring builds i've seen - please let us know if you're documenting this project anywhere besides this thread and congratulations on what you've got going on- amazing

p
By ssp Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:10 pm
almost finished, i just have to sort the graphics for the front and buttons out this weekend, and finish the side cheeks and wrapping them in the buffalo vynil cloth as per the ones in the software.

everything is working with the software, the groups are working also.
one thing i will revise are solo mute buttons per pad and also a balance, volume per pad multiplexer.

in the meantime heres the unit almost finished, once again the knobs and the grey pads are the test ones and not the final lined knobs or black pads. and its in the test case hense no graphics

By Jean Claude Trans Am Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:18 pm
ssp wrote:almost finished, i just have to sort the graphics for the front and buttons out this weekend, and finish the side cheeks and wrapping them in the buffalo vynil cloth as per the ones in the software.

everything is working with the software, the groups are working also.
one thing i will revise are solo mute buttons per pad and also a balance, volume per pad multiplexer.

in the meantime heres the unit almost finished, once again the knobs and the grey pads are the test ones and not the final lined knobs or black pads. and its in the test case hense no graphics

Awesome, its really lookin good ssp
By ssp Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:14 pm
Lord Toranaga wrote:with all that room, why did you put the knobs & sliders so close together?

all that room????? you gotta be joking you have no idea on the size of the boards inside , the cable runs etc.

the 4x4 pads need a support plate behind them and behind that is the fsr link board that then connects to the 4x4 sensitivity pot matrix board before going into 1 of 3 digital input boards. then you have the main board which is a triple layer board ( 3 seperate circuitboards stacked on top of each other)

it too a while to find the faders in that particular size, to get this thing built in the footprint i have got it in took several revisions of casework in solidworks.
one other thing to bear in mind, nothing is surfacemount at all, its good old fashioned through hole electronics. this is built like a tank and im happy.

its not possible to get it any smaller, the spacing is down to component placing, size and front panel spacing of external components. it has been optomised for maximum user control. the botom 4 sliders have the lower two knobs close to them, however they do not interfere with each other.

this is the first build and since getting it to this stage i have made some revisions to the design for the next build, the lower section will be given a bit more length in the case allowing for some more spacing and also for extra controls.

in use though its amazing, every single thing is assignable to anything you want, from cc# to notes, sysex strings, mmc commands, meta events, using the in built edit system you can change anything and store it internally, it will also midi learn anything you send to it either via midi 5 pin or usb midi.

and as this is the only one there is, i think i can live with it ;)
By ssp Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:25 pm
well the test graphics have been applied to the spare faceplate, here is a low res photo of it drying off, excuse the picture all i could do given the time. will re-assemble tomorrow all thats left is the side cheeks to be wrapped in the buffalo vinyl which will be next week now.

By ssp Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:55 pm
well im almost at the end of this little journey making this controller.
i just have the sidecheeks to wrap and the buttons to have their legends on and its finished!

i have decided to build the stand-alone unit and add some extra features, which you will have to wait until i start the build to see what they are. i am however going to build a control expander for this unit which will just link the the rear of thecase using a cascade port.

in the meantime heres the finished item (almost) hooked upto bpm and ready to run!

thanks for all the support while i have been working on this unit, i promise the next one will be even better.