The place to share knowledge about upgrades, mods, customisations and all other cool DIY projects for MPCs and other music equipment.
By proppa Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:40 pm
incredible. Please consider posting a video of this in action when it's done.
By JUKE 179r Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:57 am
HOLY SCHIT!!! :shock: 8)
By faze1 Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:41 pm
Seriously if Motu is not knocking at your door........ Thats amazing. Does the LCD actually show the corresponding info thats on screen?
By mjames4208 Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:47 pm
1st time i've ever looked at this thread....
all i can say is, WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
that's hella impressive!
By ssp Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:25 pm
thanks guys, its appreciated.

the display shows details of everything thats being touched, turned, moved etc by the controller interface, and if i had installed leds i could have had the pads light up, and all the buttons illuminated, but the most funky thing would have been that each led would have reacted to midi input and the whole surface would have become a light show!

to be honest i just wanted a replica surface plain and simple, i am currently making an expander for this now which clips on the rear, and then i will probably make a second revision of this, however i want to start my console shortly, and thats going to be enough for a while, 32 channel console with full automation, multiple encoders, buttons, meterbridge etc.

the only thing i have to do now is get on with using bpm, i havent touched it in a while so i seem to have lost the swing again.

once again thanks for the words, i will make a little video as soon as i can.
By master-ceo Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:58 pm
OWWWWWW! Good Job fam. Glad you saw it all the way thru. major props. Post a video when you get a chance!

-side note
A 7" Touch Screen LCD would be perfect replacement for the tiny LCD.
If I had your electronics skill, I would of been made my own openlabs joint.
By Fess Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:13 am
ssp wrote:well im almost at the end of this little journey making this controller.
i just have the sidecheeks to wrap and the buttons to have their legends on and its finished!

i have decided to build the stand-alone unit and add some extra features, which you will have to wait until i start the build to see what they are. i am however going to build a control expander for this unit which will just link the the rear of thecase using a cascade port.

in the meantime heres the finished item (almost) hooked upto bpm and ready to run!

thanks for all the support while i have been working on this unit, i promise the next one will be even better.

ssp, first of all, congratulations on the apparent success of your stellar project! :D When you get that 7-10 inch screen on there would you be able to try different colors-say, blue like the MachFive screen?
Either way, if you can ink a deal with MOTU, I'll be picking one up if they hit stores. If you can't ink a deal, take off the MOTU label
and sell it yourself. I'll take one gladly! :D
By inflict3 Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:47 am
holly ish!!! this is tight!!!
By Clint Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:07 pm
I think this controller build deserves to be split from the BS.

Best DIY project I've seen in these parts...
By damien907 Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:36 am
wow, that is one of the most amazing things ever to be on these forums. that is awesome, and motu is super awesome for working with you to do this.

are you or they planning on releasing this ever?

also you said you will be making a standalone unit, did i read that right, so this will be like an mpc but running motu bpm on a little lcd screen? that is awesome!
By crossings Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:46 am
the thread is over 2 years old... the creator may never come back to answer any questions at this point...

i gotta admit it is one of the sickest DIY projects i've seen in a while though... :shock:
By damien907 Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:31 am
yeah i noticed after i posted that, that is bananas though.
By m56p87 Sat Oct 13, 2012 4:56 pm
cyrus wrote:this is what akai needs to do. make software that is dope, make a controller that matches it identically.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :idea:
By peterpiper Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:21 pm
^^ :lol: :lol: :lol:

But this Motu controller is unbelivable. Without a doubt one of the best DIY (only DIY modular synths are on the same level)
Its funny that a DIY thread shows up today cause just today I thought about a DIY DJ controller (motorized platter etc to conrtol DJ software) anyone have experience with something like that?

peace