The place to share knowledge about upgrades, mods, customisations and all other cool DIY projects for MPCs and other music equipment.
By fknchino Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:47 am
I bought a few replacement light bulbs to fix my turntables' pop up light from ebay

link:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/TECHNICS-SL- ... ca4&_uhb=1

I've taken it apart successfully and have followed a third of the instructions by some good folks on youtube who posted up some tutorials on how to change the bulbs, but unfortunately they only offer tutorials for LED replacements and not the original bulb which I bought.

So I've pretty much got the bulb within the pop up shield and I've got both black wires hanging off, I also remember taking off a resistor which was connected to the old broken bulb, I'm unsure which wire goes where.

I've got a soldering iron so I'm prepared to do anything. I just need to make sure I'm doing it right, I've heard some people have had their turntables spark or melt due to bad installations.

There are few minor differences from the LED but I'm not an expert at these things, I hope somebody has some info on this, I've tried looking everywhere but no cigar.

Thanks, much appreciated

mods - please move this to the correct subforum if needed thanks
By JUKE 179r Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:46 am
replacing the pop-up bulb is mad easy. just take your time and pay attention to which wires to splice and keep track of all your screws. Don't use electrical tape but use heat shrink tubing over the newly spliced wires.

IMHO… you should have gone for the LED light. In the past 24 years of using my 1200's I've replaced the pop-up bulb 5 times. i finally replaced the bulbs again but with LEDs 2 years ago I'm glad I did. better lighting and no more burned out bulbs.
By Star One Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:27 pm
Amen to the LED's. They might be way too bright for some people, but all you need to do to convert the bulb to LED is add in a resister, and that's it.

Plus there's custom LED's with the end caps fitted to match the OEM lights on a 1200/1210
By Living Bate Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:03 am
CHOPFYT wrote:save yourself some time and use one of these...

I was planning on replacing the light bulb on on my Technics 1210 but i think this advice might be a better idea...

i cant believe what a ball ache it is just to stick a new bulb in......its not that i dont think i can do it....i just dont think its worth the graft
By WASKMUSIC Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:02 pm
you need the resistor that was in place for your new bulb. so only change the bulb itself, no magic here. if u want to add an led you got to remove the old resistor and put a new one (fitting the led volts) in the + or - cable to/from the led. also no magic here.

and to complete the topic: i prefer the original bulb.