The place to share knowledge about upgrades, mods, customisations and all other cool DIY projects for MPCs and other music equipment.
By Ian Canefire Thu May 14, 2015 2:22 pm
Howdy,
Moving the studio from my basement to its own housing. Building a shed presently in my backyard for the specific purpose of it being a music studio. 12' x 16'.
I am not a carpenter. I am literally doing all of the work. I will post a few pics as I progress in case anyone in here is interested. I want to be able to make noise at night.
So far I have created the gravel base. Placed cinder blocks in various points and have created the floor frame. After work this evening I will be putting on the OSB plywood subfloor, the insulation, another layer of OSB plywood, then acoustical fiber underlayment.
Still considering what I will put on top of that floor system: hardwood planks, bamboo, cork, exotic wood(mahogany)

I will likely put small area rugs on the floor under the drum kit, and where my chair will sit.

a luta continua,
Ian
By Mike Boogie Thu May 14, 2015 4:27 pm
Didn't Dabmeister do something like that a year or so ago... His came out nice!
By *Pilchard* Thu May 14, 2015 7:17 pm
^^ +1
Sand is one of the best insulators (if not the best) as far as sound deadening goes.

@ Ian. Please keep us informed on how this is going. Always interesting to see. :-D

:mrgreen:
By Dabblerobb Wed May 20, 2015 3:51 pm
I'd love to see pics. I've thought about this too. How are you going top keep it warm in the winter?
By RepRSP Wed May 20, 2015 5:02 pm
so, what´s the status on your project man?
By Ian Canefire Wed May 20, 2015 5:49 pm
To keep it warm I am going to insulate the walls, floors and ceiling. I am also going to put wall heaters on opposite walls. It is a 12 x 16. 192 sq ft.
it will have a slanted slab roof. One end will be 12ft and the low end 8ft.
I am also pricing combination heat / cold air conditioners at the moment.

The floor currently has sub floor, then 2" insulation, then OSB plywood floor, then #30 felt paper on top.
I will be placing acoustic vapor barrier on top of the felt and then putting hardwood as the floor I will walk on.

The ceiling will have radiant barrier on the inside then insulation, then rockwool for sound proofing.

The walls will have insulation, then rockwool, then thick dry wall.

THere will be a small vocal room maybe 4x4.

There will also be a loft to store items.

The biggest issue I am facing in terms of planning is windows. I want to only have a few but I also want to be able to see the nice foliage outside . I am concerned about sound and cold and theft with the windows.

Cheers,
Ian
By jsf Mon May 25, 2015 10:14 pm
cant wait to see this finished, right now i can only imagine kanyes unicorns breeding there lol