The place to share knowledge about upgrades, mods, customisations and all other cool DIY projects for MPCs and other music equipment.
By DrMalta Fri Jan 08, 2016 7:04 pm
Hi, just got some fat pads, and I'm having some issues with them. Wondering if anyone has any input.

Took it apart, lined up the fat pads with the nipples in the holes. Tested before putting the casing back on, all good.

After putting the casing back, the top right pad would only register hits intermittently. Took the case off, works fine, case on, same pad problem...

Realized if two right side screws are off, the pad works fine, but if they are screwed in even part-way, top right pad is screwed up.

Put the original pads back, screwed the casing on, everything works perfect.

What's going on here? Anyone experience a similar problem with these pads?

By the way, I am using the rubber corx as well.

Peace,
DrMalta
Last edited by DrMalta on Fri Jan 08, 2016 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By JUKE 179r Fri Jan 08, 2016 7:08 pm
DrMalta wrote:By the way, I am using the rubber cord as well.

Peace,
DrMalta

What's a rubber cord?
By JUKE 179r Fri Jan 08, 2016 7:19 pm
Maaaaaaaan.... remove that corx shit and just use the pads. After time the corx breaks apart and ends up everywhere inside your MPC.
As far as your pads, I believe the top cover has something to do with your problem once you remove the corx. You have to tighten down all 12 (?) screws just right or the cover ends up warped and bulges in areas. You can tell when this happens when the cover is raised up in areas and make your buttons look sunk in.
By DrMalta Sat Jan 09, 2016 6:34 pm
Removing the Corx did the trick! Thanks a bunch. I guess since the pads came with the Corx, I assumed they were supposed to be installed with them.

Peace
Malta
By konc3pt Mon Jan 11, 2016 4:51 pm
Wal Martian wrote:My guess is the corx are causing the issue, raising the height and something is getting squeezed.

:nod:
By richie Tue Jan 12, 2016 5:46 am
I got a pair of normal black pads from mpc stuff and noticed they didn't feel as sensitive/responsive as the gray pads in the 2k. so I took the gray pads from the 2k and put it in my xl and i notice the difference right away. I wonder if its just an anomaly or if anyone else has had this same problem?
By distortedtekno Tue Jan 12, 2016 7:32 am
richie wrote:I got a pair of normal black pads from mpc stuff and noticed they didn't feel as sensitive/responsive as the gray pads in the 2k. so I took the gray pads from the 2k and put it in my xl and i notice the difference right away. I wonder if its just an anomaly or if anyone else has had this same problem?

The mpc-stuff pads probably have more density than the original Akai pads. I noticed that when I replaced the pads on my 1000. When I replaced the pads on my 2000, I ordered them from VST Service since they still had the original pads in stock.
By richie Tue Jan 12, 2016 7:46 am
@distortedtekno - Just for clarify, I'm talking about normal pads, not black pads. The only thing I could rationalize as a possibility is that the 2k pads had 15+ years to get 'worked in' vs these black pads I ordered from mpc stuff.

A faint touch on the 2k gray pads yield a response where as the black pads require enough force that it becomes unenjoyable to use - so much so that I realized the reason why I prefer my 2k over the XL is because of this very issue. How much did the VST ones run you?
By mr_debauch Tue Jan 12, 2016 6:11 pm
i had the black pads that came with the mpd 16 (which is from a long way back) and those stock pads were okay, but it was more satin texture than the original grey which leads to them looking not as good due to dust... but a forum member sent me his black fat pads he bought from mpc stuff for free because he hated them. I wound up mailing back the original black ones...

anyhow, the fat pads... not as good as original akai ones... on the 2000 or the mpd. I didn't even bother trying them in the 60.