The place to share knowledge about upgrades, mods, customisations and all other cool DIY projects for MPCs and other music equipment.
By JUKE 179r Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:28 am
This is not my sale but someone on eBay is selling 46 of the Microtech PCD-25B Internal 50-Pin SCSI PC Card Reader/Writers.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/152424140500
Get 'em while their hot. :smoker:
By distortedtekno Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:48 pm
Very tempting. If I didn't have a perfectly working MO drive, I'd grab one of these in a heartbeat. But if I scrape up an extra $100 on time, I might end up with it, put my MO drive in an external case and sell it. But I like using what I got now. So it may be pointless for me to do.
By JUKE 179r Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:23 pm
With an internal SCSI drive I can connect my 2000XL to a Mac via SCSI-to-USB cable and transfer files. Fr... fr...
By richie Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:46 pm
distorted is going to keep pumping this mo drive steez regardless of the fact that CF card reader Juke posted is a way better deal in comparison. :-D
By richie Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:48 pm
JUKE 179r wrote:With an internal SCSI drive I can connect my 2000XL to a Mac via SCSI-to-USB cable and transfer files. Fr... fr...

Why don't you use a regular CF card reader for the Mac you jerk!
By JUKE 179r Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:27 am
richie wrote:
JUKE 179r wrote:With an internal SCSI drive I can connect my 2000XL to a Mac via SCSI-to-USB cable and transfer files. Fr... fr...

Why don't you use a regular CF card reader for the Mac you jerk!

Because I can. :fku:
By distortedtekno Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:29 am
richie wrote:distorted is going to keep pumping this mo drive steez regardless of the fact that CF card reader Juke posted is a way better deal in comparison. :-D

:lol: how's that? I only spent $29 on the MO drive. But if they weren't so cheap, I'd definitely grab that CF reader. That's a good deal. But I can't justify spending the money right now, especially when I don't swap files much from a computer. So I gotta pass.... unless I get a buyer for my Novation Launchkey 25. Then I might say **** it. :popcorn:
By richie Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:24 pm
@distorted I'm only being half serious man. Part of me imagined that your posts will drive up the prices of them, then one of these guys like ilovempc will go buy up all the cheap stock of it and then put it back on eBay for $350 with a free sticker.
By TheUnfuckwithable Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:02 pm
richie wrote:distorted is going to keep pumping this mo drive steez regardless of the fact that CF card reader Juke posted is a way better deal in comparison. :-D

Great stuff.
By Ian Canefire Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:09 pm
This may be a great time to recap some info regarding these memory card reader writers.
I am on the fence as to buying this at $100 or just going addonics and getting the SCSI to IDE. Once you have the SCSI to IDE life becomes a whole lot easier.

What I recall about these Microtech PCD-47, PCD-25BH, PCD-50 etc. was that you had issues like....

1) thinking you could use all the slots but only the PCMCIA (LUNS# not being SCSI ID # for each drive)
2) buying a card and the device would not save to it
3) some being hotswap and some not. (Hotswap means removable while the device was on)

Anyone care to refresh future readers about all of this? You would be doing the world a favor.

I had a GLYPH CDR drive laying around. It is SCSI external. I opened it, removed the 1995 drive (a 50 PIN which still works) and added a SCSI 9.1gig HDD. The HDD is noisy and I fear it may die sooner or later. So it might seem backward but I wouldn't mind using the PCD-25 with a PCMCIA to Compact Flash, or PCMCIA to SDcard.

**Note I am not using this external peripheral with an Akai MPC. I use this set up with my Roland VS2480 which has a SCSI connector in the back. Backing up files from a VS2480 to CD takes forever! and it takes multiple CDs. So hardware digital multitrack people have been experimenting with other devices just like MPC folks.

Cheers,
Ian
By richie Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:46 pm
**** wrote:Great stuff.

Keep it real.

I must be fortunate because one of my SCSI card readers has 2 slots that both read and write just fine.
By Ian Canefire Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:27 pm
richie wrote:
**** wrote:Great stuff.

Keep it real.

I must be fortunate because one of my SCSI card readers has 2 slots that both read and write just fine.

Let us know some specifics. What is the make and model of your SCSI card reader? What gear is it attached to?

Peace
Ian
By distortedtekno Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:59 pm
richie wrote:@distorted I'm only being half serious man. Part of me imagined that your posts will drive up the prices of them, then one of these guys like ilovempc will go buy up all the cheap stock of it and then put it back on eBay for $350 with a free sticker.

I never thought of that. But if MO drives gained popularity, I wouldn't doubt that happening. :lol:

But anyway, I think too many people are caught up with the idea that they MUST have a CF reader when they really don't need one. Anyone that actually samples on their MPC don't need a CF reader. There's no need to back up an MO disk to a PC when they're not prone to failures like zips, floppies, etc. So for anyone that happens to fall in that niche, they're served well with this parricular media. For those who like downloading samples on the internet, going the MO route would'nt benefit them unless they have a PC with a SCSI card or a SCSI to USB adaptor. Then it's no longer the cheapest option. Most people fall into the "download from the internet" category which keeps the MO option more of a niche market. So we're safe from any price inflation. It doesn't need to be a well-kept secret as far as I'm concerned. 8)
By richie Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:09 pm
Ian Canefire wrote:Let us know some specifics. What is the make and model of your SCSI card reader? What gear is it attached to?

Peace
Ian

Intermart Systems PCD-15B. I have 2 PCMCIA to CF adapters in it. The reader is inside an external case.