The place to share knowledge about upgrades, mods, customisations and all other cool DIY projects for MPCs and other music equipment.
By are- Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:36 am
jazzroom wrote:
_Stilo_ wrote:
jazzroom wrote:Maybe there is something wrong with the "inverter" that feeds the FOIL?
I remember that when i just got this S950 one week ago
my original OLD backlight would come on green at random times after S950 would be on warmed up for an hour or longer ---
than it would flicker a little and on the next boot up it would not light up anymore....

If it does that it's most probably the inverter. The foil itself does not flicker nor fail to work suddenly, it looses intensity progressively.

thatnks for reply,

My old screen was dark but sometime it would come back with dark green light flikkery ... random...
u think its a sighn of the inverter being bad?
what is that "inverter" and how to check if its that is the problem?
i coulnd't gind a service manual for S950 anywhere on the web.... to see what is sildered to what ?

is it difficult to replace or repare the inverter?
Inverter is the problem: Replace it and it's all good. Inverter for S950. Product name PPG Wave 2.3: LCD Backlight Service Kit.
By jazzroom Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:14 am
are- wrote:Inverter is the problem: Replace it and it's all good. Inverter for S950. Product name PPG Wave 2.3: LCD Backlight Service Kit.

wow , thanks for the link
looks similar to S950 inverter and its cheaper ( 22 euros) than ordering one from the US :)

here is a link to the original AKAI inverter part from VST .... http://www.vstservice.com/p-585-akai-backlight-inverter-block-lcd-for-mpc3000-others.aspx

just to double check - is the PPG Wave inverter 100% compatible with S950 ?
By are- Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:52 am
jazzroom wrote:
are- wrote:Inverter is the problem: Replace it and it's all good. Inverter for S950. Product name PPG Wave 2.3: LCD Backlight Service Kit.

looks similar to S950 inverter and its cheaper ( 22 euros) than ordering one from the US :)

here is a link to the original AKAI inverter part from VST .... http://www.vstservice.com/p-585-akai-backlight-inverter-block-lcd-for-mpc3000-others.aspx

A friend of mine replaced with success. I think those are same stuff different name. 45 USD is only about 32 Euro so that inverter from VST ain't that expensive.. 8)
By jazzroom Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:39 am
are- wrote:
jazzroom wrote:

A friend of mine replaced with success. I think those are same stuff different name. 45 USD is only about 32 Euro so that inverter from VST ain't that expensive.. 8)

i've ordered from VST some stuff before, the price is OK but the shipping costs and the arrival times are annoyingly long
from the US to europe.... thats why i was hoping for a "local" european sources ...

but if the PPG Wave inverter fits S950 and works quietly , why not ?
By thx Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:52 am
sooner or later i gotta do this thing to my 950 (my backligth is very low)
thanks for the instructions, photos and infos
:D
By Reggaecide Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:34 pm
Hello. I bought an AKAI S900 from a guy who had failed to make it display corectly after he had attached new foil.
I got backlight working but have still not got any display on the screen. Is there any strategy for puting the rubber on the right spot on the cirquit board?
What is the correct orientation for where it should be on it. We have been trying for quite some time now to no prevail.

also the rubber seem to be a bit loose on one corner. might that bee why it isnt working?
And if so then how do i make it stuck without screwing up the contact between the rubber and the LCD?
By _Stilo_ Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:32 pm
Reggaecide wrote:Hello. I bought an AKAI S900 from a guy who had failed to make it display corectly after he had attached new foil.
I got backlight working but have still not got any display on the screen. Is there any strategy for puting the rubber on the right spot on the cirquit board?
What is the correct orientation for where it should be on it. We have been trying for quite some time now to no prevail.

also the rubber seem to be a bit loose on one corner. might that bee why it isnt working?
And if so then how do i make it stuck without screwing up the contact between the rubber and the LCD?

All I can say is that the rubber needs to be aligned with the contacts you see on pic 7 of my original post. I'm pretty sure the orientation isn't even important. If it is too loose, you could try putting some electrical tape between the screen and the metal frame to push it down. But of course it could simply be that the display is broken.
By jazzroom Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:04 pm
_Stilo_ wrote:
Reggaecide wrote:Hello. I bought an AKAI S900 from a guy who had failed to make it display corectly after he had attached new foil.

All I can say is that the rubber needs to be aligned with the contacts you see on pic 7 of my original post. I'm pretty sure the orientation isn't even important. If it is too loose, you could try putting some electrical tape between the screen and the metal frame to push it down. But of course it could simply be that the display is broken.

Somebody on this tread has succsessfuly
installed a LCD display on Akai S950
it's a better alternative to backlight displays.
http://www.gearslutz.com/board/geekslutz-forum/544454-emu-sp12-display-replacement.html
By jazzroom Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:06 pm
sorry , I meant LED Display for S950
[urlhttp://www.gearslutz.com/board/geekslutz-forum/544454-emu-sp12-display-replacement.html][/url]
By jazzroom Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:04 pm
ultra auris wrote:how are you guys getting power to the LED? Ive got a bunch of those LEDs sitting around and it seems better than just doing foils.

yeah, a S950 Led Display Mod tutorial would be great!
By crossings Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:35 am
monowax wrote:it's definitely the best mod you can do on a 950!
check it: http://www.ebay.de/itm/320764364907?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1558.l2649

that's a dope mod right there... it looks easier to read than the regular black text on the LCD screen... too bad i can't read german to understand all the details there... i'm guessing he somehow inverts the LCD screen though to achieve that effect.