The place to share knowledge about upgrades, mods, customisations and all other cool DIY projects for MPCs and other music equipment.
By W. Steele Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:44 pm
_Stilo_ wrote:I would definitely try to make sure there are no connections anymore to the old foil! Otherwise you have the inverter connected to two loads and I wouldn't be surprised that this doesn't work correctly.

If it's working fine right now minus a backlight will leaving those connected fck it up more later in the future ? The only reason I don't wanna take it apart again is because of the weird sh!t where it just stopped working twice, so I want to leave it alone while it's still functioning .
By peterpiper Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:10 pm
W. Steele wrote:
_Stilo_ wrote:I would definitely try to make sure there are no connections anymore to the old foil! Otherwise you have the inverter connected to two loads and I wouldn't be surprised that this doesn't work correctly.

If it's working fine right now minus a backlight will leaving those connected fck it up more later in the future ? The only reason I don't wanna take it apart again is because of the weird sh!t where it just stopped working twice, so I want to leave it alone while it's still functioning .

I understand but the foils are both still connected to the inverter, right? Thats not how it should be and could cause more problems (effed up inverter or something).
I would open it up again and fix it (or even just try desolder the connections of the old foil and cut them)
BTW be careful with the cables of the inverter (Pull out the power cable of the sampler!). They got enough power to hurt you.

peace
By _Stilo_ Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:51 pm
peterpiper wrote:
W. Steele wrote:

I understand but the foils are both still connected to the inverter, right? Thats not how it should be and could cause more problems (effed up inverter or something).

Exactly. I'm not sure it is connected to the display failing at all, but it could cause those instabilities.
By W. Steele Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:41 pm
Thanks for all the advice fellas . Went back in and it all worked out this time . _Stilo_ , you should put a note in the 1st post that if someone is going to attempt sliding the new foil over the old one to separate all connections to the old one for idiots like me . Thanks again MPC forums :D .

By _Stilo_ Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:09 am
W. Steele wrote:Thanks for all the advice fellas . Went back in and it all worked out this time . _Stilo_ , you should put a note in the 1st post that if someone is going to attempt sliding the new foil over the old one to separate all connections to the old one for idiots like me .

Done. Good to see it's working again.
By jazzroom Sat Jul 31, 2010 4:38 am
Just got EL-Foil from MIDI-RAKET.DE for 30euros + 5 eur shipping.

Folowed backlite replacement tutorial very carefully,

had to remove the glass screen with rubber ( actually the rubber was kindah glued to the board to) to take off the old foil
that was glued to the board.

Put everything back .... - no change , still no backlight just the same dark screen with text ( see photos)
:(

Donno wat i did wrong, or maybe there is other problem with my display?

Could you guys please look at the pics if you see some wrong sudering or something
or maybe the rubber between the glass and the board is not attached well as it was really tightly
"glued" to the board before i took it apart ?

any ideas?
thanks in advance
jazz
By jazzroom Sat Jul 31, 2010 7:11 am
jazzroom wrote:Just got EL-Foil from MIDI-RAKET.DE for 30euros + 5 eur shipping.

had to remove the glass screen with rubber ( actually the rubber was kindah glued to the board to) to take off the old foil

Put everything back .... - no change , still no backlight just the same dark screen with text ( see photos)

Could you guys please look at the pics if you see some wrong sudering or something
or maybe the rubber between the glass and the board is not attached well as it was really tightly

any ideas?
thanks in advance
jazz

I would like to add that it is quite dangerose to remove the actual glass screen from the board,
as its rest on the rubber that is difficult to reattach back as tight as originally ...
Just have a look to what happened to my screen after i've reassambled the screen:

The right part of the screen became unredable ! :(

than i 've squeezed the screen by fingers and could see that the missing letters come back...

So i'have dissasembled the screen again and reattached rubber more tightly ...
The letters came back ------ at least i didn't ruin my screen !

But The EL-FOIL still didn't work wheather o sodered it or not :(
look at this pics:
Screen with new El-Foil disconected

Screen with new El-Foil connected :

By jazzroom Sat Jul 31, 2010 7:12 am
jazzroom wrote:Just got EL-Foil from MIDI-RAKET.DE for 30euros + 5 eur shipping.

Could you guys please look at the pics if you see some wrong soldering or something

any ideas?
thanks in advance
jazz

I would like to add that it is quite dangerose to remove the actual glass screen from the board,
as its rest on the rubber that is difficult to reattach back as tight as originally ...
Just have a look to what happened to my screen after i've reassambled the screen:

The right part of the screen became unredable ! :(

than i 've squeezed the screen by fingers and could see that the missing letters come back...

So i'have dissasembled the screen again and reattached rubber more tightly ...
The letters came back ------ at least i didn't ruin my screen !

But The EL-FOIL still didn't work wheather o soldered it or not :(
look at this pics:
Screen with new El-Foil UnSoldered

Screen with new El-Foil Soldered to Inverter cables : still No BAckLIght :( !???

Maybe there is something wrong with the "inverter" that feeds the FOIL?
I remember that when i just got this S950 one week ago
my original OLD backlight would come on green at random times after S950 would be on warmed up for an hour or longer ---
than it would flicker a little and on the next boot up it would not light up anymore....
than it would light up again some other day???

so maybe there is something else the problem - why no old or new FOILS work?

By jazzroom Sat Jul 31, 2010 2:26 pm
Anybody has a link to electronics schematic diagram for S950 from its service manual ?

just an idea to see how the backlight really connected to the main board to see what other components
could be broke.....

could not find S950 service manual here or on google yet.....

thanks in advance

jazz
By _Stilo_ Sat Jul 31, 2010 5:24 pm
jazzroom wrote:Maybe there is something wrong with the "inverter" that feeds the FOIL?
my original OLD backlight would come on green at random times after S950 would be on warmed up for an hour or longer ---
than it would flicker a little and on the next boot up it would not light up anymore....

If it does that it's most probably the inverter. The foil itself does not flicker nor fail to work suddenly, it looses intensity progressively.
By inflict3 Sat Jul 31, 2010 5:50 pm
yo, I need to replace the backlight in my 500. it still wors, but it get flickery on me, sometimes it goes from being real bright to dim, it will flicker dim to bright, to dim, to bright, its kinda annoying. do you think it would be easier to replace the whole display, cause I suck at soldering.
By dabmeister Sat Jul 31, 2010 6:20 pm
inflict3 wrote:yo, I need to replace the backlight in my 500. it still wors, but it get flickery on me, sometimes it goes from being real bright to dim, it will flicker dim to bright, to dim, to bright, its kinda annoying. do you think it would be easier to replace the whole display, cause I suck at soldering.

All it takes is a steady hand and you're off to the races.
By jazzroom Sat Jul 31, 2010 6:24 pm
_Stilo_ wrote:
jazzroom wrote:Maybe there is something wrong with the "inverter" that feeds the FOIL?

If it does that it's most probably the inverter. The foil itself does not flicker nor fail to work suddenly, it looses intensity progressively.

thatnks for reply,

My old screen was dark but sometime it would come back with dark green light flikkery ... random...
u think its a sighn of the inverter being bad?
what is that "inverter" and how to check if its that is the problem?
i coulnd't gind a service manual for S950 anywhere on the web.... to see what is sildered to what ?

is it difficult to replace or repare the inverter?