Forum for all other samplers & synths such as Maschine, MVs, Akai S & Z series, Roland, Korg, OP-1, analog synths etc.
By THE ADVERSARY Mon Oct 06, 2014 2:02 pm
Clint wrote:Download from Asrxcite or cop from ebay!

That site is a goldmine for ASR-X owners/users, add it to your favorites!!

Edit: ASR-X Pro OS is on eproms, don't know if you can get it on floppy.

Same old Clint always posting some wrong info like he knows what he's talking about.
One of the major improvements of the ASR X Pro is that the OS is in flash so you just download the OS.

The original ASR X had the Eprom OS.

Wonder how long it will be before you edit this post to keep from looking like you were wrong?.

The main new features and improvements implemented in the ASRX Pro are:
OS and system settings stored in Flash memory.
Sample RAM expandable to 66Mb.
Built-in SCSI 2 connector and improved SCSI support.
10 dedicated 'Essentials' patch recall buttons.
Built-in 'Stomper' synthesis program.
Improved tempo resolution (within 0.01 bpm).
Improved hard disk compatibility.
Sample time-stretch/compression.
New Song Mode.
New Pattern Mode.
Input quantise.
SCSI support for IS0-9660 CD-ROMs containing AIFF and WAV files.
SMIDI transfer support (MIDI via SCSI).
Faster ASR10 loading.
Selectable MIDI out (play external MIDI from internal sequencer).
By Clint Mon Oct 06, 2014 3:06 pm
Thank you for pointing out my typo.

Should read:

Download from Asrxcite or cop from ebay!

That site is a goldmine for ASR-X owners/users, add it to your favorites!!

ASR-X OS is on eproms, don't know if you can get it on floppy.
By amenphetamine Mon Oct 06, 2014 4:38 pm
THE ADVERSARY wrote:Wonder how long it will be before you edit this post to keep from looking like you were wrong?.

Clint wrote:Thank you for pointing out my typo.

Should read:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
By drunkmonkey5556 Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:17 pm
What effects are yall messin with..? One thing I always hear about the ASR is it has dope effects, and is worth having for the effects alone. I've used some of them, esp. the preset Hall Reverb.. And I know how to tweak the parameters and stuff. But I haven't had much luck with most of them. (These names aren't exact but) effects like the chorus+eq+ddl, guitar amp 1 2 and 3, phaser+wah+reverb, seem to just sound really muddy and distorted on any sample I apply them to. I know its all about using them with purpose and knowing what you're doing, but I'm just curious to see which effects you guys think are really good.. and how you tweak them..
By Roots Renegade Mon Oct 27, 2014 2:26 pm
The Transoniq Hacker magazine's archive:

http://www.buchty.net/~buchty/ensoniq/transoniq_hacker/

From Wiki:

The Transoniq Hacker was a monthly newsletter for Ensoniq synthesizer enthusiasts. The magazine was originally subtitled The Independent Ensoniq Mirage User's Newsletter and was obviously intended as a means for exchanging information related to the Ensoniq Mirage within the Ensoniq user community.

Each issue of the Transoniq Hacker featured various columns related to various synthesizer-related topics, usually on advanced subjects. Over the life of the newsletter Ensoniq released additional synthesizers, and the newsletter increased its scope accordingly.

The first issue of the Transoniq Hacker was released on July 1985, and the last issue (172/173) on Oct/Nov 1999.

:-D
By Star One Sun Nov 02, 2014 2:33 pm
I had downloaded the entire thing a few months back :nod: There is sooooo much information for the ASR-10, it's a bit hidden in terms of like placement, but searching you can find websites that list it all out pretty well.

I found the link you posted on one of them, I wish I remembered what it was called.

And a bit hidden as it was not labeled as ASR-10 anything.

Safe for sharing that!
By Clint Mon Nov 03, 2014 5:37 pm
There is a thread in this forum dedicated to transonic hacker. It's a good place to start looking if you're interested. I'll post the link when I get to a computer.
By Clint Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:25 pm
are- wrote:ASR-X Pro OS needed. Got this beast from my friend but there is no os disks left so.. Please.

Pretty sure you can download the os from asrxcite. Essential reading if you have or want to become familiar with the asr-x or pro.

http://www.geocities.ws/asrxcite/asrx/tips_tricks.html
By Hththt555 Sat Nov 08, 2014 12:45 pm
i traded in my ASR-X for a 2000xl. I dont want 2 samplers for now and need the Seq. (and the PADS!!!)

one question:

can i translate the ASR sequences,tracks samples to MPC format with chicken translator?

or am i better of recording the tracks to my mac and resample them when i have the MPC?

what about my samples i made on the ASR in general, can i translate these too?

thanks!
By golden-era Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:35 pm
Fellow ASR user here and i am a huge fan of this machine. I personally do not agre that the sequencer is trash. If you are having sequencing issues, i believe it is largely user error. I do agree the ASR sequencer isn't as forgiving as an MPC but i think the sound blows the MP away.

If you can take a listen to a few beats i made on the ASR-10 below. These are very basic boom bap loops, nothing crazy here just stuff i mess with and may or may not go back and build upon. Everything was done on the ASR-10. These 2 beats probably took 10 minutes total.

http://www.divshare.com/download/26547948-284

http://www.divshare.com/download/26547961-fb2
By Star One Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:13 pm
And for anyone interested, there's an editor for the ASR-10 called Epsilon, that lets you do waveform (graphical) wave sample editing. It's for both EPS/ASR-10.

Here:
http://avg.home.xs4all.nl/epsilon/epsilon.html

drunkmonkey5556 wrote:What effects are yall messin with..?

.. but I'm just curious to see which effects you guys think are really good.. and how you tweak them..

You should look up the Waveboy Effects. Adds a bunch of new effects algorithms to the unit.

golden-era wrote:If you can take a listen to a few beats i made on the ASR-10 below. These are very basic boom bap loops, nothing crazy here just stuff i mess with and may or may not go back and build upon. Everything was done on the ASR-10. These 2 beats probably took 10 minutes total.

Just took a listen, not bad at all. I dig the first one for sure. And I can totally agree about the sequencer on the ASR.
By polarAC Wed Dec 24, 2014 10:27 pm
Star One wrote:And for anyone interested, there's an editor for the ASR-10 called Epsilon, that lets you do waveform (graphical) wave sample editing. It's for both EPS/ASR-10.

Here:
http://avg.home.xs4all.nl/epsilon/epsilon.html

]

Is Epsilon able to work on current OS's? I had some trouble trying to run it on my now previous XP system. Running Windows 7 now.
By Star One Fri Dec 26, 2014 5:32 am
I havent used it yet, but there are two downloads, one for XP and one for Win7 :nod: Only way to tell is to try. I might actually try it out soon myself
By polarAC Thu Dec 17, 2015 6:06 pm
Straight up heartbroken cause my ASR will not turn on anymore. I mean, feel like a high school kid that got dumped by his girlfriend. I guess a brotha is that attached after 17 years of owning it.

It may be an issue with the psu, as I hear that these eventually go out. The biggest catalyst is that I had to keep this in storage for the past year. Could of lead to that old adage that vintage gear will break down when you don't use them. Now that i'm settled into my new place, I brought the ASR out from storage. It worked for a week before not turning on at all. While it was in storage, I tried testing some of the soft samplers that are out there, but I was bothered by the fact that i couldn't do certain things that I was so used to doing on the ASR.

Anyway, I'm going to call Bruce Forat, the MPC doctor, to see if he can fix it (he is local). If not, I guess I'll be shipping it up to TheSoniq in San Jose, Ca. Apparently, he is the last authorized tech for Ensoniq gear.

I'll post the results in case anybody runs into similar problems.