Forum for all other samplers & synths such as Maschine, MVs, Akai S & Z series, Roland, Korg, OP-1, analog synths etc.
By zbigi Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:22 am
yamaha tx16w, talk about a **** punch
use it mostly for resampling, loosing some of the *bang* with that but still. even if you run a sample loop with some drums underneath, those will bang like you added a beat on top.
cheap enough to ponder and it's nice with coloring your sounds, without the ring modulation effect which kinda sucks on soft kicks.

has auto pitch auto normalize (i turn the autopitch off) you can have up to 6mb of ram in it, samples in stereo with the latest os.

but the filters suck bawls that's what the s950 has over it
By kneebone77 Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:36 am

EPS Classic all day son!
By Menco Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:08 am
I'm really satisfied with my s950/1k combo.
By bicedidit Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:30 pm
vinyl=plural & singular.

get a s950
and search the forums.
9 out of 10 ppl here that own a s950 got it for the same reasons as you
By bedouin Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:00 pm
An EPS has been showing up on Craigslist here for a couple months. I'd love to snatch it but I just don't have room for a full keyboard.
By peterpiper Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:55 pm
What kind of dirt do you want?? Dont expect really dirty samples from the s950. The SP is the master for that. Others are Casio FZ1 and I think the ESP if its set to low samplerate. But the 950 sounds great but not really dirty.

peace
By bedouin Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:05 pm
The FZ1 is something I have thought of selling one (or both) of my RZ-1s to get. If the build quality is as crappy as the RZ-1 though I'd rather pass.
By rotkiv Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:43 pm
Thanks alot for all the replies!

Seems like s900/950 is something for me. Just wondering, is it very tricky with floppys etc or is there an easy way to trigger the sounds on the s950 on the mpc? Or do I have to take the long way to dirty my sound?

Thanks in advance...
By Ras Desta Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:43 pm
Just to put it out there, 12-bit samplers are way overrated IMO. I think ppl spend way to much time praising these machines for their sound alone. There's a lot more to be gained, programming-wise, from these samplers than sound coloration. I just feel like buying these old samplers just for the "sound' is a waste of money. I own s950, eps, s612, and asr 10, and they're fun to play with, but I would rather have software and a maxed out 4k any day. I will give the asr-10 credit for being an awesome and user-friendly machine for advanced wave synthesis, but it can't do anything you couldn't do on a computer. SO before you folks go throwing your money away at retro audio hardware, I at least suggest you dload some free (legal or not) bit-reducer plug-ins (Izotope Trash is a really good one if you can get it free.) No, it's not gonna give the exact same sound as those old samplers, but hell, it's free so what have you got to lose? I also find that bit reducer and distortion plug-ins can be very well suited for what you have in mind, because they are very tweakable as opposed to fixed amount of color and/or distortion had from a single sampler's converters

But whatev, that's just my spiel, and you don't have listen to me
By kneebone77 Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:04 pm
bedouin wrote:The FZ1 is something I have thought of selling one (or both) of my RZ-1s to get. If the build quality is as crappy as the RZ-1 though I'd rather pass.

I just traded an FZ-10m I had two, (one for parts) and had a look inside the beat up one...
I gotta tell I was not feeling the build quality. The way the circuit boards were arranged inside like they thought no one would ever need to fix or upgraded this unit. Just to get to the disk drive, (which is a common problem in these) you have to remove nearly ever other component out of the case. :? Not very well thought out...
By kneebone77 Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:11 pm
Ras Desta,
I feel you. That's the reason I suggest the EPS/ASR. Because it's versatile. It can sound really grungy, It can sound clean, It's hella easy to use and yet has powerful programming capabilities. I think Ensoniq Samplers can go good with ANY setup...
But I'm pretty bias though, an EPS classic was my first piece of gear.
By deck daddy Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:48 pm
If I would switch to software someday I would still keep the SP1200 or get the SP12 just for sampling drums and resample that into the computer again. Seriously. The sound is so freakin' amazing and different, and most stuff on computers are not very dope sounding in my opinion. MPC and SP are very different sounding.

By the way: I don't know anybody that use software alone that I really like the sound of the drums of. There are a couple of producers that use software that I like the beats from, but the drums are not the reason why.
Last edited by deck daddy on Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
By bedouin Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:49 pm
Casio built their 'pro' electronics no differently than their consumer stuff. Not designed for abuse at all.