Forum for all other samplers & synths such as Maschine, MVs, Akai S & Z series, Roland, Korg, OP-1, analog synths etc.
By Bodymachine Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:55 pm
Bought an eps16 8 weeks ago.
i'm happy with it in order of the drums.
but trying to sample some synthesizersounds and it sounds really crappy.

are eps owners here who can tell me how i can put a synthesizersound into the eps and and tweakin some knobs for a nice result... ??

i chop an 1-2 bar one-tone-loop of a synthesizer ... but it sounds better in the pc as when it comes out of the eps.
(okay deep frequency tones are bumpin... for basses or something...but that can i do easily with the mp1k)
By v00d00ppl Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:54 am
i use the eps classic and this is what i do....

I always record any signal at the highest volume into the eps.....you know when you are monitoring the signal and the AMP light comes up? The best signal is when it blinks for a split second and then no longer blinks. If you are recording a sound with the AMP light constantly on then you are going to have a clipped sample. If it is going to be AMP for a short moment and then decay, that is also fine. I try to usually hit the AMP and drop the record in volume just a tad so I know it wont distort.

Once you set your key range and layers....tweak with the filter and LFO shapes, that will give you some nice basses, leads, pads, etc depending on your envelope settings..
By nogginj Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:21 pm
For synth tones too it helps to use as short a loop as possible. This varies from tone to tone as modulation sometimes makes the actual usable loop much longer than just a single cycle of the base waveform.

The EPS has some amazing features for helping with this stuff....forward+reverse looping, 'synthesised loop' is fun to play with.

Also it might be worth it to sample with the synth filter completely open...you can then use the filter in the EPS (even though it is probably not as good, it will this way provide you with more internal control).

To sum this up and give you the best tip? Forget everything you know about sampling and just play with that synthesised loop. Very good results on unexpected material.
By Bodymachine Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:13 am
Thanks mates !
All tips are realy worth to check.
special the synthesized loop function is great!

but have another question:

some "commands" to the wave page doesn't work...

it shows a " increasement loopstart point " / "...value can not set" message (or something in this form) ...

anyone mind what's wrong?

by the way: Maybe interesting for the ASR / EPS user here

http://www.xs4all.nl/~avg/tranzilon/info.html

anyone here who's works with?
i can't cause no functional midiinterface today...
By Bodymachine Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:03 am
absolutely!
it would be great if the eps works like a synthesizer with this tiny tool... ???

( The EPS would be similiar to the Korg DSS1 http://www.vintagesynth.com/korg/dss1.php )

i couldn't believe...but maybe... :)

btw:

i downloaded it and created some waveforms really quick & easy.
will chop the transwaves in my eps tomorrow ...
(didn't know that i can export the files alternative in a wav format)
By nogginj Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:02 pm

In my experience this is just because building an instrument in an EPS is so multi-layered and complex, sometime you get lost and are not sure what layer you are in. You can only edit some things like sample start/loop at the lowest level, the name of which escapes me right now.

It really helps to dig through the manual, they have some drawings that explain how the sample setup and layering works. But yea, there have been times when I've been like 'why cant i edit this?' only to realise I wasn't in the correct layer.

Is the ASR even as complex as the EPS? I cannot think of another sampler to this day that allows you to edit so much.
By tr-one Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:21 am
I have to say the bi-directional looping was a wonderful tool! This is one the reasons I loved my ASR-10. My next favorite tool was the butterfly crossfade, I'm not sure it's on the EPS, but on the ASR bi-directional looping (sample plays forward to loop end then backwards to loop start) with butterfly crossfade often made the most natural sounding sustain/decays. Beautiful lush sounds with an incredibly natural sustain/decay... can't beat it! :D I miss owning an ASR-10. :cry:
By Bodymachine Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:01 am
nogginj wrote:

It really helps to dig through the manual, they have some drawings that explain how the sample setup and layering works. But yea, there have been times when I've been like 'why cant i edit this?' only to realise I wasn't in the correct layer.

Is the ASR even as complex as the EPS? I cannot think of another sampler to this day that allows you to edit so much.

yeah you're right- i have more study the manual .

And i never hold an ASR i my hands...
The prices on ebay are utopic here in europe .
Sometimes are good offers in the United States but the shipping costs are a pain in the ass.

Had really luck to hook up the eps (in really good condition & more than 20 factory disks+ a bunch of his private instrument disks) from an british seller for 200 euro.

Maybe the Emu - Series are similiar... or not?

tr-one wrote:I have to say the bi-directional looping was a wonderful tool! This is one the reasons I loved my ASR-10. My next favorite tool was the butterfly crossfade, I'm not sure it's on the EPS, but on the ASR bi-directional looping (sample plays forward to loop end then backwards to loop start) with butterfly crossfade often made the most natural sounding sustain/decays. Beautiful lush sounds with an incredibly natural sustain/decay... can't beat it! :D I miss owning an ASR-10. :cry:

The butterfly crossfades are not in the eps but the biderictional looping option.
messing around a little bit with it but had no good results.
maybe it's important to combinate it with the butterfly - crossfade... how you said.

btw :

here a link that i found...

http://www.geocities.ws/diffused_light/stuff/eps.html