Forum for all other samplers & synths such as Maschine, MVs, Akai S & Z series, Roland, Korg, OP-1, analog synths etc.
By Borat Sun Aug 28, 2011 5:45 pm
I just got an EPS 16+ since a few days, and I find it quite difficult to use.
I really don't understand the enveloppes on it. The manual says it is based on a classic ADSR enveloppe, with more details, but I dont understand how it works.

For example, I sample a kick, and it has a little click at the end. On my MPC, I set the decay to 1, and the click disappears. I tried everything on the EPS, it doesn't disappear.
I also don't understand the attack, tried to change the attack settings on each enveloppe, but I didn't see any changes...

Another problem I have: I sample a few sounds, for example kick, snare, hi hat and put it on the same instrument. I try to create a sequence with it, but it seems that I can only record on track 1. Is there a way to record sounds on a same instrument on different tracks? Like snare on track 1, kick on 2, hi hat on 3...?

Thanks for the help!
By vinyl_junkie_1620 Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:02 pm
To get rid of the click truncate the sample end by a tiny bit, it's not the env's that cause it I found but a click when you press the stop button when sampling.
By tapedeck Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:42 pm
the envelopes on an EPS are not really what I'd call a classic adsr.

you have to think of the envelopes as pairs of times + levels....how long does it take to make it to each level. to fix your click, you need to bring the volume to zero before it happens, or just truncate as mentioned. you can probably learn a bit about the envelopes if you load up some envelope presets and then modify them a bit.

as for sequencing kicks + snares on different tracks...each track is tied to each instrument. you only get one track per instrument, and you can only use one instrument per track. each of those 8 instrument buttons is also your tracks.

so if you have all your sounds in the same instrument, but you want to use different tracks for each sound, you have to copy the instrument to each track you want to be independent.

my opinion would be to have a little fun with the EPS sequencer, but you'll have a lot more control over it (and have a lot more fun) if you use your mpc to sequence your EPS.
By Borat Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:05 pm
Ok thanks, I think I understand for the enveloppes!
I think I will use my MPC to sequence the EPS, but I wanted to test the sequencer of the EPS a bit.