Forum for all other samplers & synths such as Maschine, MVs, Akai S & Z series, Roland, Korg, OP-1, analog synths etc.
By IllRhythm Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:32 am
I'm wondering if anyone around here has any experience with either of these machines? Did a search and couldn't find anything. Checked gearsluts and google too...

I'm looking for something to add reverb to drum sounds straight from my MPC/mixer... I read that these had some nice sounding reverbs and dope effects but I'm unsure. I've also looked at some Lexicon and Alesis units... I'm just unsure what's quality and what isn't.

Anyone got a unit or know of a unit that has nice sounding reverb effects?

If anyone can drop some knowledge on these two pieces of kit or point me in the right direction for reverb units, I'd much appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.
By Shostakovich Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:14 pm
IllRhythm wrote:I'm wondering if anyone around here has any experience with either of these machines? Did a search and couldn't find anything. Checked gearsluts and google too...

I'm looking for something to add reverb to drum sounds straight from my MPC/mixer... I read that these had some nice sounding reverbs and dope effects but I'm unsure. I've also looked at some Lexicon and Alesis units... I'm just unsure what's quality and what isn't.

Anyone got a unit or know of a unit that has nice sounding reverb effects?

If anyone can drop some knowledge on these two pieces of kit or point me in the right direction for reverb units, I'd much appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

Same effects as in the ASR series.

The DP4 is 4 parrallel or 2 stereo effects. The DP4+ is the same though has balanced I/O IIRC. You can also get a DP2 which, is 2 channel.

The DP4's strength is in its serial or parrallel processing. Phasers are very good as are some of the verbs, to be fair. However, seeing as they can fetch up to $400, and you seem to be looking for reverb specifically, I would look at Lexicon PCM series (particularly, PCM 70) or LXP series (cheaper but has that Lex sound).

Having said that, if you can pick up a DP4 for $200 - do just that. It has enough effects to keep anyoen in any genre goign for a long time. Considering it has 4 I/O, you'd proably have everythign you need in one box.

I picked up a Lexicon Alex for £30. It stays ont he Gold Plate settign and works a treat for hall snares.
By IllRhythm Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:51 pm
Nice one Shostakovich!

You've cleared some things up for me. I'll keep an eye out for a DP/4, see if I can get one cheap. If it's 4 parallel, am I right in thinking that it would have 4 mono outputs of the MPC60 covered and allow me to tweak each sound? Stereo ain't no biggy since I ain't using stereo sounds right now haha.

I'll check the PCM 70 out too.

I was basically looking for something to give a bit of tail to snares and thicken hi-hat "pish" straight outta the 60 so thanks a bunch man!

I used to have an Alesis Midiverb but I pulled it out of the attic and it's fooked, can't even get it to turn on plus the inputs are only RCA... Ah well!

Cheers!
By mr_debauch Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:39 pm
IllRhythm wrote:Nice one Shostakovich!

You've cleared some things up for me. I'll keep an eye out for a DP/4, see if I can get one cheap. If it's 4 parallel, am I right in thinking that it would have 4 mono outputs of the MPC60 covered and allow me to tweak each sound? Stereo ain't no biggy since I ain't using stereo sounds right now haha.

I'll check the PCM 70 out too.

I was basically looking for something to give a bit of tail to snares and thicken hi-hat "pish" straight outta the 60 so thanks a bunch man!

I used to have an Alesis Midiverb but I pulled it out of the attic and it's fooked, can't even get it to turn on plus the inputs are only RCA... Ah well!

Cheers!

you only need 2 outputs from the effect unit for the 60... which has an effect send/return (it says on the 60 that it's echo send return)

basically mono send out, stereo return in.. in the echo mixer you choose what gets sent and how much wet/dry.
By IllRhythm Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:59 pm
you only need 2 outputs from the effect unit for the 60... which has an effect send/return (it says on the 60 that it's echo send return)

Woah man, that's dope. I hadn't quite figured out what that output was used for. I've only had the 60 a wee while but i'm loving it!

Thanks for your input man! Oh and I just checked out "The HouseBridge" on bandcamp, you've got some nice sounds. Guess your a 60 fan too judging by the background picture. :lol:
By mr_debauch Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:32 pm
IllRhythm wrote:

Woah man, that's dope. I hadn't quite figured out what that output was used for. I've only had the 60 a wee while but i'm loving it!

Thanks for your input man! Oh and I just checked out "The HouseBridge" on bandcamp, you've got some nice sounds. Guess your a 60 fan too judging by the background picture. :lol:

thanks a lot, yes my lack of photoshopping skills (or lack of photoshopping effort more accurately lol) had me scrounging for a good banner or image for that page :lol:

Yes, so for the 60, on the effect unit often there is a switch for "direct/loop" (or direct/chain.. or something like that) anyways you pick the loop or chain one.. and run the single out to the effect, then run the stereo out from the effect back into the echo inputs. After that in the sounds/echo mix menu you turn up the level just like you do in drum mix... and boom! you start hearing it on what ever pad you choose.

now here is the creepy part, which I found out by mistake the other day lmao.. even if your mpc is turned off... lets say you are running a synth right in to the effect... well it still sends the signal through the master outs of the mpc60.. it sort of creeped me out the other day.
By IllRhythm Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:56 pm
Thank you for all of your replies. I've been looking at the mentioned units, trying to find something which fits my current needs.

Yes, so for the 60, on the effect unit often there is a switch for "direct/loop" (or direct/chain.. or something like that) anyways you pick the loop or chain one.. and run the single out to the effect, then run the stereo out from the effect back into the echo inputs. After that in the sounds/echo mix menu you turn up the level just like you do in drum mix... and boom! you start hearing it on what ever pad you choose.

now here is the creepy part, which I found out by mistake the other day lmao.. even if your mpc is turned off... lets say you are running a synth right in to the effect... well it still sends the signal through the master outs of the mpc60.. it sort of creeped me out the other day.

This is a dope secret/tip man! Nice one.

Anyway, thanks again! Some good knowledge dropped on this forum!

Peace.
By Clint Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:58 pm
A couple on ebay.co.uk

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ENSONIQ-DP-4- ... 1c1f3fe701

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ENSONIQ-DP4-M ... 4cfa56f4f9

They don't usually go cheaper than £300 + from what I've seen, simply because people know how good they are.

That's almost ASR-10 money which has the same FX and more.
By IllRhythm Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:22 pm
Cheers Clint! Gonna watch these like a hawk now!

I also saw the MPC3000 you posted before aha, good price if you know how to restore one I guess. Since I don't, I'mma leave it be, it'd most likely become an expensive paper weight. It's also got some tacky red sides and casing that ain't to my taste.
By Clint Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:58 pm
It's a lot to pay for a FX unit tho but it has a stellar reputation for quality, I've seen ASR-10's going for similar prices lately (£300-400).

If you were to buy an ASR-10 instead you get the sampler, dodgy sequencer and 61 keys to boot. Seriously worth considering if you have space for a keyboard.

More DP-4 info:

https://ccrma.stanford.edu/~dattorro/DP4.htm

https://ccrma.stanford.edu/~dattorro/DP4_manual.pdf

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/electron ... nions.html
By IllRhythm Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:14 pm
Hahaha, I've not really got the space for an ASR, maybe I'll cop one when I get more space but until then... it's gotta be a rack mount, although they do a rack mount ASR10. I've got a little bit of space for some racked gear so a DP/4 pretty much fits the bill. I think I'm willing to spend around £300 on one of these. It's gotta be in pretty good nick though. I want some outboard reverb!

I think I've perused the gearsluts thread before but I ain't seen the other two. Again, cheers for the links man. I'm going to bookmark these and read them when I'm not reading postmodernist art theory... sigh...
By mp3 Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:24 pm
If you're a fan of Mobb Deep, the Ensoniq reverb was all over The Infamous. EPS 16+ i think. That'll give you an idea of the ensoniq reverb sound. Pretty much all the snares on the whole record got the reverb on them.
By IllRhythm Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:59 pm
If you're a fan of Mobb Deep, the Ensoniq reverb was all over The Infamous. EPS 16+ i think. That'll give you an idea of the ensoniq reverb sound. Pretty much all the snares on the whole record got the reverb on them.

Aha, dope! I love the drums on that album so nice one for that little snippet of knowledge mp3!

Daaaamn! This thread's been dope for me so I just wanna say thanks to everyone who's made a contribution!