Forum for all other samplers & synths such as Maschine, MVs, Akai S & Z series, Roland, Korg, OP-1, analog synths etc.
By Explicit- Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:32 am
goldslum wrote:
Upright wrote: THE WORKFLOW AND MENU LAYOUT IS NOTHING LIKE AN MPC. This isn't necessarily a bad thing...it's just different and like any piece of gear you have to spend time reading the manual and experimenting while reading. If you aren't prepared to do this you may end up discouraged by Maschine.

couldn't have said it better myself. when i bought maschine it sat for a month or so because i couldnt find the time to learn it... now i'm just getting around to it. i would sincerely advise against selling an mpc for maschine (and comparing the two all together.. it is not an mpc killer, it's a new way to work on music), and i suggest you don't purchase the EDU version. it's just not that kind of purchase! if you can't afford the thing you can't afford the thing. $400 is a STEAL if it's the full version. i got mine for $500.

and explicit, what you mentioned about tracking the mpc out to a daw is a real pain... in order for me to get serious about cranking out music i had to step outside of the box (no pun intended) and keep the mpc around for fun. i've even got a 10 channel input and i was feeding all my outputs on the mpc to my daw, midi'd up... it was very easy.. but it's STILL limiting despite what a salty mpc fan boy would care to admit.

Yea Im for sure going to hold on to my 2500. I also put a lot of work into customizing it so I dont want to let it go...

For me it just seems that the MPC slows down my workflow once it comes down to finalizing my beat. I also want something new to change up my workflow/ thought process because I feel like Im at a BLOCK in my progression with making beats. For a minute I was really improving and now Im stuck. Im hoping this can open new doors or get me to that next level. See what happens...
By Upright Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:00 am
goldslum wrote:i've been dragging and dropping audio/midi files from standalone maschine in to logic and it truely can't get any easier than that.... i can sit there and rifle out all these different patterns and sounds and ideas and get a rough idea for some songs... then i can drag and drop all my parts in to logic and move everything around a second time. it's just great fun.

Most def! Reading your post has me curious about opening up Maschine in my DAW. I'll have to give it try. I've heard that there is at least one change with using Maschine as a plug-in and that is not being able to use Maschine play button to start playback. Any other differences that you've noticed between plug-in and stand alone other that the play button issue?

Explicit- wrote: From what I read on the NI Forums the you can update with the EDU Version.

This is what you cannot do with it compared to the Normal Version
I can not resell it/transfer the license
I can not use it commercially

So with that I would for sure say the EDU Version is worth it.

I'm kinda split on the whole EDU VS. standard version of Maschine.

Two things

If you can't transfer the license then the only way to get the EDU version would be from NI directly...right? For some reason I was under the impression that you were looking for the EDU version on Ebay.

How much are you saving by buying the EDU version? If it's about $100 or so I'd honestly recommend getting the standard version because while I'm certain you'll love Maschine any restrictions on your gear isn't really worth the small amount of cash you'll save IMO. At the same time I know how it is to what to get to work with a piece of gear you've been wanting. But think about the future....one day you may want to loan Maschine to a friend or even sell it to buy Maschine 3.0 (hypothetically). The last thing I'd want is to be stuck with a brick in a few years that I can't sell or even loan. It might be worth it to wait and get the standard version with NO RESTRICTIONS. Just my 2 cents.
By mr_debauch Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:05 am
Explicit- wrote:Yea Im for sure going to hold on to my 2500. I also put a lot of work into customizing it so I dont want to let it go...

For me it just seems that the MPC slows down my workflow once it comes down to finalizing my beat. I also want something new to change up my workflow/ thought process because I feel like Im at a BLOCK in my progression with making beats. For a minute I was really improving and now Im stuck. Im hoping this can open new doors or get me to that next level. See what happens...

well also, it's nice to change up the scenery every now and then... and having a piece of kit lying around for when you're in the mood to do something different... it's just like having reason, ableton, and fl studio on the same computer... or having the 2500 and the 3000.. you may be in the mood to stare at something else for a little bit. Nothing wrong with that.. what true guitar player only has one guitar?

also, different pieces of gear inspires different ideas... not to say you would make two beats on two systems to prove it or anything... but let's face it, you dig in some crates etc.. and when you flip that on the maschine it aint gonna sound the way it would have if you theoretically had done it on the asr-10 or what have you. My point with that is, having diversity is nice... you put an album together and there is a mix of equipment then it adds yet another element. Kinda like how guitar players got different amps and pedals in studios.
By emptysea Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:01 am
goldslum wrote:i've yet to really understand everything about maschine... like how to navigate seamlessly thru the hardware...

This might help:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6z1gDGgULA

Also check out the hardware reference manual in the NI forums.

goldslum wrote:and how to sample directly in to maschine..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kOi-eoYxBc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfjOl4PacaA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ce3Dyu559zg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3m8W75C9zw
By Explicit- Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:29 am
mr_debauch wrote:
Explicit- wrote:Yea Im for sure going to hold on to my 2500. I also put a lot of work into customizing it so I dont want to let it go...

well also, it's nice to change up the scenery every now and then... and having a piece of kit lying around for when you're in the mood to do something different... it's just like having reason, ableton, and fl studio on the same computer... or having the 2500 and the 3000.. you may be in the mood to stare at something else for a little bit. Nothing wrong with that.. what true guitar player only has one guitar?

also, different pieces of gear inspires different ideas... not to say you would make two beats on two systems to prove it or anything... but let's face it, you dig in some crates etc.. and when you flip that on the maschine it aint gonna sound the way it would have if you theoretically had done it on the asr-10 or what have you. My point with that is, having diversity is nice... you put an album together and there is a mix of equipment then it adds yet another element. Kinda like how guitar players got different amps and pedals in studios.

WoW this was on point!
By Explicit- Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:44 am
@Upright: I already made my purchase earlier today and paid $429 total for the EDU Version. It arrives later this week. The seller was quick to process my order and have it shipping asap.

You made some great points... Guess I'll be stuck with a brick unless I can control my gear lust, return that shit, and buy a full version. LoL

Gotta consider my options...
By Upright Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:00 am
Explicit- wrote:@Upright: I already made my purchase earlier today and paid $429 total for the EDU Version. It arrives later this week. The seller was quick to process my order and have it shipping asap.

You made some great points... Guess I'll be stuck with a brick unless I can control my gear lust, return that ****, and buy a full version. LoL

I hear ya! Well congrats on that price. You'll get you're $429 worth out of it either way.
By Explicit- Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:59 am
Upright wrote:
Explicit- wrote:@Upright: I already made my purchase earlier today and paid $429 total for the EDU Version. It arrives later this week. The seller was quick to process my order and have it shipping asap.

You made some great points... Guess I'll be stuck with a brick unless I can control my gear lust, return that ****, and buy a full version. LoL

I hear ya! Well congrats on that price. You'll get you're $429 worth out of it either way.

Thats exactly how I feel about it. How bad could it really be? I just paid $429 for a full blown sampler!!! Feels good, normally this type of thing would be atleast a grand.
By konc3pt Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:04 pm
Explicit- wrote:
Upright wrote:

Thats exactly how I feel about it. How bad could it really be? I just paid $429 for a full blown sampler!!! Feels good, normally this type of thing would be atleast a grand.

Nah man, more like $660 plus shipping :lol: ... did you check if you can return it after you've already opened it and installed ?

BTW are you on JJXL ?...Reason I got mpc again is to break away from computer style of music making cuz it became unappealing so I see why you decided to try out the maschine...Im pretty sure you will appreciate the convenience of having everything on the fly, ease of use and the drum sounds it come with...like I said I will get another one myself, even for on the go situations
By Explicit- Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:52 am
@ Koncept: On my 2500 Im running JJOS2. Never was sold on the JJOSXL.

By the way I got my Maschine in today shortly after I got home from work and Im wrapping my whole brain around this shit. Im seriously SOLD. This thing is dope! Im yet to chop a sample yet though... Currently just messing with the internal sounds and Komplete Elements.

Been recording some basic sequences or as in Maschine "Scenes" and so far Im really impressed with this sequencer. So far a great purchase.
By Explicit- Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:56 am
And so far it runs extremely smooth on my PC. The software literally boots in 5 seconds. Havent had any lag or glitches. I havent ran it within ProTools yet though. Just doing the standalone at the moment.
By Metatron72 Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:06 am
Explicit- wrote:And so far it runs extremely smooth on my PC. The software literally boots in 5 seconds. Havent had any lag or glitches. I havent ran it within ProTools yet though. Just doing the standalone at the moment.

I've noticed in version 1.7 Maschine loads VST's faster than anything else on my system, a nice bonus. I don't use Pro Tools, but it seems like Maschine would make a nice VST "wrapper" if you don't have the FXpansion one, or something like Plogue Bidule on OS X.

You'll probably be annoyed that there's no play head marker when you're chopping, but what's there is decent.