Forum for all other samplers & synths such as Maschine, MVs, Akai S & Z series, Roland, Korg, OP-1, analog synths etc.
By vinyl_junkie_1620 Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:42 pm
I think the 16 bit processing you may confuse with the MPC-60
From the MPC-60 specs:
"16-bit ADC and DAC, with data stored in special non-linear 12bit format (for lower noise)"

I'm not too familiar with the S-950 spec but from memory the 950 is linear 12 bit
By IllRhythm Sat Sep 24, 2011 12:17 am
I think the 16 bit processing you may confuse with the MPC-60
From the MPC-60 specs:
"16-bit ADC and DAC, with data stored in special non-linear 12bit format (for lower noise)"

I'm not too familiar with the S-950 spec but from memory the 950 is linear 12 bit

Nah, I have both. I just checked since I was pretty sure it was 12-bit but with 16-bit processing. It says in the manual on page 6 man.

Also, since someone was looking for the manual the other day I recall, here it is:

http://manuals.fdiskc.com/flat/Akai%20S ... Manual.pdf

Another link to specifications:

http://akai.brothelowner.com/jules/S900/
By le rat Sat Sep 24, 2011 11:51 pm
peterpiper wrote:Sure it sounds nice but its also not a filter to really filter out all the high/mid frequencies

If I'm not mistaken you can hear an artefact in the high frequencies when you use the filter with extreme settings.

vinyl_junkie_1620 wrote:Hahah yes the Marion Systems (Tom Oberheim's company) expansion for the S-950 which made it 16bit, that had to be the strangest thing I saw on an Akai

I saw one on ebay few years ago. If I try to remember I think that unit had a custom switch on the front side to make it works with 16 bits. (I dunno if there was a picture of the inside board though)
By peterpiper Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:32 am
le rat wrote:
peterpiper wrote:Sure it sounds nice but its also not a filter to really filter out all the high/mid frequencies

If I'm not mistaken you can hear an artefact in the high frequencies when you use the filter with extreme settings.

IMO there are no "extreme" settings on the filter. There is no resonance its just a filter with setting 0 (closed filter) to 99 (open filter). But you are right nonetheless cause there is a setting between 60 and 68 that sounds like a bit of resonance is there in the high frequencies.
But I've read it many times that the 950 is soooooo damn cool to filter basslines and that is not true IMO.

peace
By cyrus Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:00 am
JaxMusik wrote:Wassup guys i just got a s950 (wanted it for years) at a bargain price...150$. It doesnt have the max memory but im gonna be using it mostly for drums and bass sounds. I wanted to know what would be the best thing to do if im not looking to upgrade it now (because of financial reasons) in order to saev memory space.

hey man, the first thing you need to do is give back to the community! sample some bass sounds and some drums then share with us!!!!

also, whats the deal with that test tone sine bass that everyone talks about? share that with us too!

peace.
By IllRhythm Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:08 pm

Hey man, I too have experienced this I think. If you drop the filter to 0 or around that, and put the amount to -50/+50, I can't remember, I'm pretty sure that you get this weird, high-frequency sort of whine. I gather that is what you're talking about le rat?
By thx Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:16 pm
^
curious...
i want to experiment this
thanks
By thx Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:08 am
unfiltered
http://www.autistici.org/2000-maniax/sa ... 20mono.wav

filtered (low pass filter: 0 / amount: +50 / A:61 D:63 S:13 R:4)
http://www.autistici.org/2000-maniax/sa ... 20mono.wav

sorry for the volume of samples that is very low
By peterpiper Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:04 am
Thanks thx. I can't hear anything but a usual filter that is modulated by an envelope. BTW I tried this myself and tried many ways (different samples, sampled with different rates and rec gain, all kind of setting inside the keygroup) and didn't get any high frequ response that sound like whining or such.

peace
By le rat Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:13 pm
Illrhythm wrote:Quote:

Hey man, I too have experienced this I think. If you drop the filter to 0 or around that,..., I'm pretty sure that you get this weird, high-frequency sort of whine. I gather that is what you're talking about le rat?

Yeah that's why I'm talking about. I have an old print screen of a beat I did 3 years ago where it's clearly noticeable but I didn't put it online coz I'm not 100% sure I can eliminate user error or troubles due to faulty unit.
By thx Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:25 pm
peterpiper wrote:Thanks thx. I can't hear anything but a usual filter that is modulated by an envelope. BTW I tried this myself and tried many ways (different samples, sampled with different rates and rec gain, all kind of setting inside the keygroup) and didn't get any high frequ response that sound like whining or such.

peace

sorry
i will post it up again
i think i've got what Le Rat said:
if you put the LPF to 0 and filer amount at +50 you can hear a sort of click at the beginning of the sample
i will post a sample here as soon as possible
By jibber Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:48 pm
I have some issues with the 950 and high frequency noise too, might as well post in here...

What i'm doing is the following:

- I sample from vinyl 45 + 8 into the 950 at the highest sampling rate (doesn't matter, tried low rates and it gives the same results)
- I low pass the sample in the 950 (value was set to 24 in this example) and record it into the MPC60
- I put the sample on 16-level in the MPC60

This is what i get:
http://www.mediafire.com/?ya141wici2g9qgy
If the sample is pitched up or down in the 950 it's no problem, if it's done in the MPC after it's recorded, bam!... high frequency noise!

This is recorded the same way, but not using the filter on the 950:
http://www.mediafire.com/?b9u7xus1g7d23bp
No problem there... or maybe it's just harder to hear, but it seems the issue only shows when using the low pass filter on the S950.

At first i thought this might be a defective unit, but i'm not so sure anymore. I actually found a 2nd S950 for very cheap this past weekend and bought it. And now guess what... does exactly the same! :lol: :? :roll:

Can somebody else with an S950 recreate this and share their own results?

I know it's not the MPC60, i tried the same thing replacing the 950 with the 2KXL and using the low pass filter, then 16-level on the MPC60... nothing, sounds clean.

If this is normal, how do people sample bass notes through the 950, low pass them and use 16-level on an MPC? I always thought the 950 was dope for basslines, but it seems the filter sucks monkey balls after all....? :D
By mr_debauch Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:39 pm
yeah, really look into the screen and inverter... I always hear about those old ones causing noise like you describe.. also check for the thread with the new replacement displays that cost 20 bucks. the thread topic was called something like "S950 LED LCD" I think if I remember correctly.