Forum for all other samplers & synths such as Maschine, MVs, Akai S & Z series, Roland, Korg, OP-1, analog synths etc.
By DJ ALX Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:16 pm
Borat wrote:That beat is good! I like the drums, especially the snare.

Thanks!

Borat wrote:I had the EPS 16+ for a few weeks, but didn't like it. The sound wasn't bad (nos as good as what I expected) , but I found it really hard to use.

You kidding? The EPS/EPS16/ASR10 are all dead easy to use for most people.

The EPS outputs need boosting cos the output is really low. The EPS16 and ASR10 can boost the output by 12db internally.

The EPS and EPS16 have adjustable anti-aliasing input filters that you apply before sampling. Thats where the magic begins. The track you heard, I set the anti-aliasing filter to OFF and sampled at a low sampling rate, different for each sample. So the recorder gets all that wide frequency information and cant record and reproduce it so it turns it into grime. Thats the secret with the EPS and EPS16! If you dont play dirty then they are just plain ordinary samplers. If people start using the anti-aliasing filters like this, youd see the 100 dollar EPS go way up like the SP12 has.

People still sleep on the EPS.
By Borat Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:31 pm
I didn't spend much time on it, because the sound was not as good as what I expected, but i wouldn't say that the EPS 16+ is easy to use! I never managed to understand the envelopes for example, it's far from the MPC ADSR.

I received my ST224 today and that thing seems to be nice! Good lo-fi sound, I like the effects, and it's really easy to use. The only problem is the sequencer , but combined with an MPC i think it won't be a problem. I still need to figure out how to chop samples on this, but so far I like it!
By DJ ALX Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:55 pm
Borat wrote:I didn't spend much time on it, because the sound was not as good as what I expected, but i wouldn't say that the EPS 16+ is easy to use! I never managed to understand the envelopes for example, it's far from the MPC ADSR.

I own an EPS and have access too EPS16 and ASR10.
I havnt messed with the envelopes on the EPS/EPS16/ASR10. All I do is set the layer to Trigger or Legato and put all values on ENV3 to 99 so it can behave like MONO on the MPC (and like ONE SHOT on the S950) plus every other note cancels the previous note and this goes for ALL chops not just one note cutting off 2 other notes like the MPC does. If you wanna work fast its a must. The ASR10 has the best sound though. Much more richer but not that much lo-fi.

This next track was made entirely on the ASR10:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zh8mptHVQKI

Borat wrote:I received my ST224 today and that thing seems to be nice! Good lo-fi sound, I like the effects, and it's really easy to use. The only problem is the sequencer , but combined with an MPC i think it won't be a problem. I still need to figure out how to chop samples on this, but so far I like it!

Good news then. Sampling something and send it over!

In my opinion EPS/ASR10 are the best machines for fast chopping without taking up that much of the machines memory!

Ensoniq users will have to agree.

Peace!
By Borat Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:38 pm
Here's a little soundclip from the ST 224! It's a simple 4 bar drum loop.
First is the MPC 2000, then the ST in hi-fi mode(32 khz), in standard mode, in lo-fi mode, and finally in lo-fi mode pitched +50 in the mpc, and detuned -50 in the st.

ST224.wav - 4.95MB
By gertie Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:31 pm
http://sampletrak.lefora.com/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYTw8zytPNE

Borat wrote:I didn't spend much time on it, because the sound was not as good as what I expected, but i wouldn't say that the EPS 16+ is easy to use! I never managed to understand the envelopes for example, it's far from the MPC ADSR.

I received my ST224 today and that thing seems to be nice! Good lo-fi sound, I like the effects, and it's really easy to use. The only problem is the sequencer , but combined with an MPC i think it won't be a problem. I still need to figure out how to chop samples on this, but so far I like it!

By dickydiggler Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:26 am
Borat wrote:Here's a little soundclip from the ST 224! It's a simple 4 bar drum loop.
First is the MPC 2000, then the ST in hi-fi mode(32 khz), in standard mode, in lo-fi mode, and finally in lo-fi mode pitched +50 in the mpc, and detuned -50 in the st.

ST224.wav - 4.95MB

Cool! Standard/mono is where it's at. Lofi is great for effect, but a bit to muffled for general use.

I got the ST224 last week and it's beast.
By dryad-66 Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:30 am
The SP303 is very clean but its got good grunging fx and is not as sharp as the 404 ect.Gotta love that real time reverse as well.And real time loop mode.Dont forget that sampling from tape will give you wonderful vintage feel.As always eq s and filters and resampling are the most effective tools day to day.I was sampling from old vhs tapes a while back (old movies and documentaries ect)and found it very rich soundwise.
By thx Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:32 pm
i will use the 303 next friday night for a rap showcase with some friends
i'll play the beats
and maybe i'll do some choirs (if i don't get too shy :oops: )
thanks again to all for the tips
By mp3 Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:53 pm
Not hard to use at all. Just tedious, especially if you do anything besides bog standard chopping and mapping.
By tapedeck Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:21 am
mp3 wrote:
Not hard to use at all. Just tedious, especially if you do anything besides bog standard chopping and mapping.

but so powerful.
deepest hardware sampler ive ever used for sure.