Forum for all other samplers & synths such as Maschine, MVs, Akai S & Z series, Roland, Korg, OP-1, analog synths etc.
By Borat Sat Dec 03, 2011 6:13 pm
I really love those SP 12 drums and was wondering if some samplers could come close to that sound. I heard about the Yamaha SU10, Casio RZ1, Zoom ST224.

Any opinions on these samplers? Or maybe other models? Thanks!
By ArKyve-31 Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:05 am
I don't care really what anyone says, a sp 202,303 or a mpc 60 are your best options. The 404's and up i the sp series are much cleaner, the other samplers mentioned here are much higher bit depth then the sp 12. What really makes a sp 12 sound the way the do is the A/D boards used in them. So really nothing is ever going to sound like one exactly
By Borat Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:23 pm
ArKyve-31 wrote:I don't care really what anyone says, a sp 202,303 or a mpc 60 are your best options. The 404's and up i the sp series are much cleaner, the other samplers mentioned here are much higher bit depth then the sp 12. What really makes a sp 12 sound the way the do is the A/D boards used in them. So really nothing is ever going to sound like one exactly

Yeah I know I won't have exactly the SP 12 sound, but just something close to it. I thought the SP303 was a quite clean sampler, but I heard it has good effects. But it's quite hard to find in France and quite expensive(150-200 euros).

The ST 224 seems to be really nice and very cheap, and I think that most of the people who tried both prefer the ST to the SP 303.I think I will get this one!
By THE ADVERSARY Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:16 pm
Nothing mentioned sounds anything lie the SP, what they offer is a lower grade sampling sound compared to most typical more modern samplers.

In hardware the closest you can get to a SP is a SP, with that said the next choice would be the Emax I.
Unfortunately the Emax requires a lot of work to get it sounding like the SP.
More work than most are willing or capable of putting in.

As far as the SP202/303 or Sampletrak they don't sound like the Sp, but the good thing is you will find they have a sound all their own.
It's a pretty useable sound and those units give you a lot of features to use.
The SP202/303 LoFi sound setting can give a good old school sound to a sample but their realtime pitch is too nice to pass up on.

If you are trying to sound like the SP then it's a fail.
If you are after the sound of a lower bit rate sampler then either of the 3 will get you there.
By mp3 Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:41 pm
EMAX. Shop around and you can get one under 300. It doesn't sound exactly like the SP (most notably, it has less aliasing), but on the upside the filters are 100% adjustable, as opposed to the set-in-stone filters of the SP. And its dead easy to use - the manual is on the front panel...
By Borat Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:30 pm
That's a nice find! I think they are cheaper in the US. Here in France, they go for about 400-500 euros(600$)
By mp3 Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:03 pm
They're certainly cheaper in the US. I'll tell you what, you buy me an Akai VX600 (cheaper in the eurozone, rare and expensive over here) and I'll buy you an EMAX. Deal???
By THE ADVERSARY Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:22 pm
mp3 wrote:EMAX. Shop around and you can get one under 300. It doesn't sound exactly like the SP (most notably, it has less aliasing), but on the upside the filters are 100% adjustable, as opposed to the set-in-stone filters of the SP. And its dead easy to use - the manual is on the front panel...

The problem with the Emax I is the SE is the on that has the additional features that allow you to do certain things that get it to the realm of the SP and the better editing.
By mp3 Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:15 am
THE ADVERSARY wrote:
mp3 wrote:EMAX. Shop around and you can get one under 300. It doesn't sound exactly like the SP (most notably, it has less aliasing), but on the upside the filters are 100% adjustable, as opposed to the set-in-stone filters of the SP. And its dead easy to use - the manual is on the front panel...

The problem with the Emax I is the SE is the on that has the additional features that allow you to do certain things that get it to the realm of the SP and the better editing.

I'd guess you are talking about sample rate conversion? That doesn't make it sound more SPish. And anyway, you can just lower your sample rate when you're sampling. Same difference...

Anyway, any Emax can be upgraded to the SE: http://www.silveriafamily.com/emax/emax_repair.html