Forum for all other samplers & synths such as Maschine, MVs, Akai S & Z series, Roland, Korg, OP-1, analog synths etc.
By tosfalma Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:41 pm
what do you guys think of the sound of the ymaha su10? im asking because i heard that the samples are actually compressed in that machine so they take up less memory. i was thinking of leaving it in record mode and use it as an fx when tracking out my beats so they take a 90s sound, but i dont know if this "compression" will destroy the samples quality in a way i cant actually hear (lack of experience, im not an engineer)
By thx Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:08 pm
tapedeck wrote:i will say the sp303 is pretty dope if you can get it for cheap.
decent even just as an fx box so that's cool.

yes, good to have another fx processor

tapedeck wrote:feedback on that thing is out of this world.

what do you mean?
delay feedback?
By tapedeck Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:58 pm
tosfalma wrote:i was thinking of leaving it in record mode and use it as an fx when tracking out my beats so they take a 90s sound, but i dont know if this "compression" will destroy the samples quality in a way i cant actually hear (lack of experience, im not an engineer)

i doubt much 'compression' is going on while you are just passing the audio in to the audio out. the compression probably happens when you save the sample. and it might be a lossless compression which means by definition there is no quality change.

thx wrote:what do you mean?
delay feedback?

i mean setting it up to feedback on itself.
By jonestown massacre Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:50 pm
+1,000,000 on the sp303. They are only about $200, and much more versatile than most samplers.

However, you can find an sp12 for around $400, shopping around. If you like sp12 drums, get an sp12. They arent really in the MPC3000/SP1200 price range....Just think about all the different things you can do with an sp303 over the sp12, though!
By ArKyve-31 Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:53 pm
jonestown massacre wrote:+1,000,000 on the sp303. They are only about $200, and much more versatile than most samplers.

However, you can find an sp12 for around $400, shopping around. If you like sp12 drums, get an sp12. They arent really in the MPC3000/SP1200 price range....Just think about all the different things you can do with an sp303 over the sp12, though!

were are you finding sp12's for 400 :?:
By Borat Sun Dec 11, 2011 12:01 pm
Thanks for all the answers! The SP12 or SP12 turbo go for about 600-700 euros here, so it's quite expensive. I think I will get the ST 224.
By JVC Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:51 pm
I would get a bass overdrive guitar pedals. (yes it is one channel, but SP12 and SP1200 are mono samplers.) Basically, you want to color sound of your sampled sounds, correct? with guitar pedals, you can tweak parameters. And you do get analog filters this way!
12 bitrate has not much to do why SP-1200 sounds that way. On SP-1200, there are a lot of discreet component used for audio signal (there are analog low-pass filters in there too), and DA/AD converters used in SP are very unique.
I've been thinking about getting effects, but nowadays you can use computer as effects as well (I've never done it, but it is amazing how powerful computer has become.)
By Borat Sun Dec 11, 2011 5:01 pm
I sometimes use distortion VST's on my snares , and it can add some character. I still have a cheap guitar multi effects(Digitech rp3), I used to sample my drums through it sometimes when I didn't have a computer :lol:

I actually got a few good results, but the sound was dirty and noisy(not really in a good way).
By thx Sun Dec 11, 2011 6:15 pm
i copped the sp303 today
very useful tool for sampling and processing samples with effects on the fly and from external source
and it is really fast and easy to learn how to sample loop etc etc
controls are easy to access
haven't tried the resampling function but seems cool
thanks again for the help and the knowledge you all dropped here in this topic
peace
By jonestown massacre Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:28 pm
ArKyve-31 wrote:
jonestown massacre wrote:+1,000,000 on the sp303. They are only about $200, and much more versatile than most samplers.

were are you finding sp12's for 400 :?:

2 years ago I had 2 or 3 different ones I was looking at. They ranged from $350-$600. I tried one out and felt it didnt live up to the hype....Its definitely no SP1200. :wink:

Good cop on the sp303, THX. Its so easy to jump into, but it can get pretty deep, too. Im not really feelin the sequencer on it though, but for under $200..... :P
By thx Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:45 pm
jonestown massacre wrote:Good cop on the sp303, THX. Its so easy to jump into, but it can get pretty deep, too.

for real
By Ill-Green Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:46 pm
The BOSS/Roland SPs got the power to mimic the sound of a SP-12, but only the 303, 505, and 606. Use the Lo-Fi effect and turn the knob to 12-bits and adjust the frequency until its grimey enough. Not exact but 90% close.
By Borat Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:16 pm
I just copped a Zoom ST, sold with a 3 way DJ mixer(Gemini UMX9) for 90 euros .
I think it's a pretty good deal :D