Forum for all other samplers & synths such as Maschine, MVs, Akai S & Z series, Roland, Korg, OP-1, analog synths etc.
By cyrus Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:12 am
Okay, so for all you mpc and maschine users out there.....

lets speculate on what NI is cooking up for maschine and what you want to see on the second generation Maschine or software 2.0 (in light of the new mpc line).

This fella brings up a good point about friendly competition.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7U5C8MIVbI

I think maschine vs mpc will be a good thing for the consumer. Both companies will hopefully listen to thier users, try to make a superior product and in the process really push thier gear in a good direction.

But with that said. What better place to outline what you want in maschine than here?!
By JAH Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:32 am
Maschine's hardware is adequate. When I have people come over to my place, the first thing they ask is "What is that?" pointing to th MPC.....not Machine. Its 20012...put an easy to read adjustable LCD screen on it. I know NI is going after portable...but make a more robust version to use in the studio. This is what II like about Akai's new direction.

Maschine's sequencer. There is no reason I see that NI needed to re-invent the wheel. Every leading DAW has a track-based sequencer for a reason. You don't need to tamper with a standard that has been established since Ray Charles got his fiirst 8 track. Patterns and scenes are not anjoyable way to work.

Sample Editing. I only ask that it do something samplers since the lates 90s can do. You guys already know.
By Explicit- Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:57 am
Right now Maschine is the best thing out.

The only thing I miss from my MPC is the workflow. Not sure if its better but I sure got used to it.

Sequencing on Maschine is beautiful. I love arranging beats on there as well.

The only thing I want on Maschine is a STOP button and TimeStretch and Im set.
By cyrus Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:16 am
Explicit- wrote:Right now Maschine is the best thing out.

The only thing I miss from my MPC is the workflow. Not sure if its better but I sure got used to it.

I think im in the same boat as you. for me if they add the STOP button (double press stop button to kill all audio), and timestretch I'd pretty much be satisfied.

Some other things I would like to see, but not make it or break it for me:

1.ability to have differant tempos per pattern/scene (not sure how they'd actuallky acomplish this smoothly like i know mpc ren will)
2.differant time signatures per pattern/scene (not sure how they'd actuallky acomplish this smoothly like i know mpc ren will)
3.drag and drop standard midi files to patterns
4.tabs for each layer in sample mapping window
5.instead of drop down in software to each pads params, id like to see left and right arrows just like the hardware to page through.
6.adjustable zoom knob speed (or curve or whatever) or using additional knobs for the slow zoom instead of holding shift.
Last edited by cyrus on Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
By cyrus Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:26 am
JAH wrote:Maschine's hardware is adequate. When I have people come over to my place, the first thing they ask is "What is that?" pointing to th MPC.....not Machine. Its 20012...put an easy to read adjustable LCD screen on it. I know NI is going after portable...but make a more robust version to use in the studio. This is what II like about Akai's new direction.

Maschine's sequencer. There is no reason I see that NI needed to re-invent the wheel. Every leading DAW has a track-based sequencer for a reason. You don't need to tamper with a standard that has been established since Ray Charles got his fiirst 8 track. Patterns and scenes are not anjoyable way to work.

Sample Editing. I only ask that it do something samplers since the lates 90s can do. You guys already know.

I can see that. A more robust version of the controller, more like the mpc ren (tilt screen, maybe interface?) but I do still like the small footprint and overall its UI and menu layout is pretty darn good.

From an mpc state of mind, I agree that I dont like the scene/pattern paradigm, but I can say its not entirely bad, I'd say that its 'differant'. Isn't fruity loops pattern based, differance being is how they handle song mode?
By Explicit- Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:36 am
cyrus wrote:

I think im in the same boat as you. for me if they add the STOP button (double press stop button to kill all audio), and timestretch I'd pretty much be satisfied.

Some other things I would like to see, but not make it or break it for me:

1.ability to have differant tempos per pattern/scene (not sure how they'd actuallky acomplish this smoothly like i know mpc ren will)
2.differant time signatures per pattern/scene (not sure how they'd actuallky acomplish this smoothly like i know mpc ren will)
3.drag and drop standard midi files to patterns
4.tabs for each layer in sample mapping window
5.instead of drop down in software to each pads params, id like to see left and right arrows just like the hardware to page through.
6.adjustable zoom knob speed (or curve or whatever) or using additional knobs for the slow zoom instead of holding shift.

I like some of those ideas.

Oh and I would also like the bar to follow like "Screen Scroll" as the beat plays.
By damien907 Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:45 pm
1. global choke groups
2. mute/ panic button
3. timestretching
4. midi import/export
By evil A Sulli Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:46 pm
To me Akai covered all areas and for machine to catch up is going to be a up-hill battle. 2.0 sounds nice but how could it be better than all Akai old and new stuff. I guess we must wait and see.
By rookie Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:05 pm

don't worry AKAI got you covered in those area's :lol:
By konc3pt Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:14 pm
maschine definately need tilt screen and stop button,...I always thought I was overlooking the stop button feature but I guess that shit was never there to begin with
By Mistamixx Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:36 pm

I agree! i like the way things are done on a mpc, maybe because i've been using them for 20 years lol, but maschine is the best thing out right now. Maschine 2.0 contoller 4midi outs, 2midi ins, and a built in audio interface would be cool. On the software side, give me elastic time stretching like ableton and im good! I'm keeping Maschine, but im still gonna get the Ren lol...
By Mistamixx Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:43 pm
evil A Sulli wrote:To me Akai covered all areas and for machine to catch up is going to be a up-hill battle. 2.0 sounds nice but how could it be better than all Akai old and new stuff. I guess we must wait and see.
At the moment Akai is the one playing catch up. Akai's problem might be the stability of it's software. Maschine's software is pretty solid!
By lordrockwell Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:28 pm
Cyrus, you're bang on. This competition will definitely benefit us users. Whatever the success of these MPC models, just by them being announced, NI will need to respond in the next year and I'm sure they will.

There's already been a lot of chatter about some big things happening behind the scenes to make much more of maschine and traktor together and enhance the live performance. These new MPCs should mean that they don't forget to keep their game strong in a production enviroment.
By Explicit- Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:34 pm
rookie wrote:

don't worry AKAI got you covered in those area's :lol:

But can they do it with a stable software?

Because the Maschine software is on point. 8)