Forum for all other samplers & synths such as Maschine, MVs, Akai S & Z series, Roland, Korg, OP-1, analog synths etc.
By JAH Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:26 pm
Maschine's hardware can't really be compared to any highend MPC. NI is still playing catchup coming up with a design that can match MPCs created a decade ago.

Its software is like having an MV-8000 but dumbed down the MIDI sequencing capabilities..dumbed down the sampling/sample editing capabilities....and dumbed down the programming capabilities...and said: you don't need these anyway...buy one or more of our software instruments and run them inside Maschine.

So I expect NI to design a new Maschine that has a more advanced controller but they should probably outsource the design as all of their products have low cost designs that I don't care for personally..but are light and portable. I expect further integration of their product line...perhaps giving Maschine Battery-like cells and easier sample layering. They will eventually add timestrecth and pitchshifting which will probably be realtime..which I am not sure if any of their current products can do this. As far as the sequencer, they need to outsource it as well. It its not tracked based, I can like it, but will never fall in love with it.

That's my two cents.
By JAH Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:56 am
emptysea wrote:
damien907 wrote:midi import/export

MIDI export is already there. NI said MIDI import is coming.

How do you export MIDI on Maschine?
By JAH Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:22 am
emptysea wrote:
JAH wrote:How do you export MIDI on Maschine?

Drag and drop.

So after you drag and drop it...can you save it as a MIDI 0 or 1 file?
By JAH Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:52 am
Ok. I will answer my own question. You can't. MIDI in Maschine is so crippled. You have to silly things such as select your drag mode, then drag-n-drop into a DAW or desk top. But can't drag-n-drop it back in. Sorry. This is not a very good function.
By cyrus Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:08 am
JAH wrote:Ok. I will answer my own question. You can't. MIDI in Maschine is so crippled. You have to silly things such as select your drag mode, then drag-n-drop into a DAW or desk top. But can't drag-n-drop it back in. Sorry. This is not a very good function.

yeah it is pretty lame. I wanted to import alot of sequences from my mpc2500 that i saved as standard midi.

I figured i could just drag them into maschine or atleast import them via a menu. but no, instead I had to load maschine up as a vst and drag them into my daw, then record them into maschine. (about 80 midi clips). pain in the ass. I ended up doing it because I use these frequently (my favorite drum patterns).
By JAH Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:13 am
emptysea wrote:
JAH wrote:But can't drag-n-drop it back in.

:roll: That's because there's no MIDI import yet as already mentioned, *******. I'm talking about MIDI export.

Why be so upset? I know what Maschine can do. I just wanted you to take the bait and you bit hook-line-sinker. You know Maschine is a complete MIDI product. It is very primitive in this regard.
By Mistamixx Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:24 pm
JAH wrote:
emptysea wrote:
JAH wrote:But can't drag-n-drop it back in.

:roll: That's because there's no MIDI import yet as already mentioned, *******. I'm talking about MIDI export.

Why be so upset? I know what Maschine can do. I just wanted you to take the bait and you bit hook-line-sinker. You know Maschine is a complete MIDI product. It is very primitive in this regard.

The list of things Maschine can do that the so called high end mpc's can't do is more inportant to me, such as vst hosting, and akai should be the one to out source there software! It's easer for Native Instruments to come up with a new controller than it is for akai to create a solid os. Akai can't compete with Native Instruments when it comes to software.
By Explicit- Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:06 pm
JAH wrote:Maschine's hardware can't really be compared to any highend MPC. NI is still playing catchup coming up with a design that can match MPCs created a decade ago.

Its software is like having an MV-8000 but dumbed down the MIDI sequencing capabilities..dumbed down the sampling/sample editing capabilities....and dumbed down the programming capabilities...and said: you don't need these anyway...buy one or more of our software instruments and run them inside Maschine.

So I expect NI to design a new Maschine that has a more advanced controller but they should probably outsource the design as all of their products have low cost designs that I don't care for personally..but are light and portable. I expect further integration of their product line...perhaps giving Maschine Battery-like cells and easier sample layering. They will eventually add timestrecth and pitchshifting which will probably be realtime..which I am not sure if any of their current products can do this. As far as the sequencer, they need to outsource it as well. It its not tracked based, I can like it, but will never fall in love with it.

That's my two cents.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

NI is not playing catch up. Its clearly obvious that Akai is behind on times.
By JAH Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:50 pm
Explicit- wrote: :lol: :lol: :lol:

NI is not playing catch up. Its clearly obvious that Akai is behind on times.

NI is still working on time stretch and pitch shifting, MIDI import, ability to use all MIDI outs/channels independantly, Stop button to stop all samples from playing, split slice mode where you can choose the numer of slices, savinng a samples and its program to one file/folder, higher sequencer resolution, a channel mixer, browsing hard disk via controller without having to tag files, track based recording, etc.

You know very well that these are among the functions that NI Forum members want the most in an OS2. So I take it you are laughing because they will finally add these features. Great. My Maschine is waiting to be juiced up on roids.
By damien907 Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:47 am
emptysea wrote:MIDI export is already there. NI said MIDI import is coming.

yeah i know they said import is coming, its pretty ridiculous its not there yet though. it should have been there by 1.7 at least.
i think all the features should have been there since day 1, but live and learn i guess.
NI does have a pretty good update/consumer feedback track record so far, but some things have been ignored for a few updates too long.
i would have kept my maschine if it had the features that i listed earlier.

i agree that its gonna be good for us that akai and NI are gonna be competing for the top spot.
By cyrus Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:05 pm
damien907 wrote:1. global choke groups
2. mute/ panic button
3. timestretching
4. midi import/export

yup, just ran into needing #1 today. I had some samples in seperate groups i wanted to mute eachother....forced to rearrange some things. global choke would have been nice, especially since you arel imited by 16 pads per goup.

although i think youd have to be able to specify global or not, or it be sperate setting, not the same setting otherwise i could see it going the other way too!
By cyrus Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:11 pm
lordrockwell wrote:Cyrus, you're bang on. This competition will definitely benefit us users. Whatever the success of these MPC models, just by them being announced, NI will need to respond in the next year and I'm sure they will.

There's already been a lot of chatter about some big things happening behind the scenes to make much more of maschine and traktor together and enhance the live performance. These new MPCs should mean that they don't forget to keep their game strong in a production enviroment.

for sure. I hope maschine users don't have to wait until the mpc ren drops. Would be nice to get an update NOW, and they continue to push things to have something even nicer around august.

I'm for sure going to get one of these new mpcs and keep my maschine too. So hopefully it will be a win win.