Forum for all other samplers & synths such as Maschine, MVs, Akai S & Z series, Roland, Korg, OP-1, analog synths etc.
By Business Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:14 am
Hi guys, I'm new around here and have been reading on the forums for quite some time. I own an MPC1000 and S950 as of recently, which I'm having trouble with.

I've tried formatting the floppy disk (have tried DD, HD and 2HD disks), the little dots go on until the end, then nothing, it still reads total free: 0% and I can't do any floppy-related task. I've also tried formatting with AkaiDisk with no luck.
Is my floppy drive broken, or am I doing something wrong?

UPDATE

So I changed my S950 floppy with a S900 floppy, but the faceplate doesn't fit anymore. TEAC FD-235HF A259 seems the way to go. Are there any other alternatives?

Thanks
Last edited by Business on Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By crossings Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:13 am
sounds like your floppy drive is broken... when my s900 had a broken drive it would also still format disks all the way through without any error screens... but then it wouldn't allow me to do anything else with the disk.
By Business Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:19 am
Great!

I have 2 spare non-working S900
Would the S900 floppies fit in the S950 ?

Thanks
By crossings Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:28 am
that would probably work, but just keep in mind that those s900 drives will be double density whereas the s950 uses high density...
By crossings Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:35 am
it might... kinda hard to know. but i suppose it couldn't hurt to have a floppy drive cleaning kit around the studio regardless... give it a shot.
By Business Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:42 pm
I just took out my S900 floppy

Anybody know how to install it in the S950, jumper settings and everything?

Thanks!
By Business Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:05 pm
So I changed my S950 floppy with a S900 floppy. The S900 floppy has 4 jumper settings (0, 1, 2, 3); I left it at the "0" position. When I insert a disk and try to format it, I get the "write-protection enabled" message. Obviously my disks aren't write-protected. I tried Maxell MF2-DD disks, which are supposed to be DSDD, but when I format them on computer, they have 1.35 Mb capacity, which is really weird. Any help appreciated!
By crossings Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:21 pm
peterpiper wrote:How did you fit the 900 drive into the 950? they are complete different drives with different measures.
peace

i've had a few different S900s over the years, and while most of them did have a larger floppy drive [which took up the entire drive slot], the one i currently have came with a regular sized floppy and a bit of plastic casing around the floppy drive to fill in the space... it seems that both types of drives are commonly seen on the used market...

the kind i'm speaking of looks like this here...

By Business Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:36 pm
peterpiper wrote:How did you fit the 900 drive into the 950? they are complete different drives with different measures.
peace

Crap!

It fitted in the slot, but I hadn't put the faceplate back on... faceplate doesn't fit :(

Is there any way to cure this floppy?

TEAC FD-235HF A259 seems the way to go. Are there any other alternatives?

Thanks
By peterpiper Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:34 pm
Yes. ALPS DFP blabla (forgot the number but I got it somewhere in my ebay search since 2009 and never got an email that tell me someone is selling it :)

There are other alternatives but AFAIK on most of them you need to modify the drive (not only jumper settings but solder some things).

Another great alternative is the HcX floppy emulator.

@crossings: Ok, I see. I got a 900 with a replaced floppy too but its a Chinon FZ drive that is bigger than pc drives too. Never saw "slim" drives in a 900 before.

peace