Forum for all other samplers & synths such as Maschine, MVs, Akai S & Z series, Roland, Korg, OP-1, analog synths etc.
By Cicatrix Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:41 am
Just got done, yay. Here is some pics of my new custom asr x pro.

It isn't exactly how I wanted it but oh well.
By crossings Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:03 am
what don't you like? 'cause that looks dope to me... you don't see one of those customized very often. 8)
By Cicatrix Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:39 am
Hey thanks for the kind words! Nah I like it it's just that I came up with a last minute design that I was going to put over the front panel. Sort of like a ghost image. Not an actual boo ghost, but a transparent type effect.
By mp3 Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:49 am
Where did you get it done?
By Prah_860_ Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:47 pm
really digging that
By Funkydrops Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:17 pm
:o D R O :o O L I N ' :o

Cicatrix wrote:Just got done, yay. Here is some pics of my new custom asr x pro.

It isn't exactly how I wanted it but oh well.
By Lampdog Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:36 pm
Yeah don't see any of those custom, that looks nice.
By Lampdog Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:24 pm
There have been MANY days I wish I had never sold my ASR X PRO (lookin at that pic, today, is one of those days).

There have been MANY days I'm glad I sold it and replaced it with my orange 2kxlse2. Not as powerful a machine but so user friendly it's ridiculous.
By JUKE 179r Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:49 pm
That's bad azz right there!!!!
By mp3 Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:54 pm
Lampdog wrote:There have been MANY days I wish I had never sold my ASR X PRO (lookin at that pic, today, is one of those days).

There have been MANY days I'm glad I sold it and replaced it with my orange 2kxlse2. Not as powerful a machine but so user friendly it's ridiculous.

Yeah I hear you. I play with the notion of picking up another one every now and then (crazy what $150 can buy nowadays). The X was the sampler I really cut my teeth on. And there are things I still prefer about it over every other sampler. Like the fact that it has a dedicated sampling button and scratch pad on the front panel...

What killed it in the end for me was the one parameter at a time display, the fact that you couldn't get at the transwave function (without the chickensys editor), and the fact that they left the crossfade looping out. If it had a better display, I could live without the crossfade and transwaves. If it had the crossfade and transwaves, I could live with that display... I miss the effects too, but you can make do with one of the DP units.

Its a fantastic companion to any MPC though, and even given its weaknesses, its almost still worth it. I'm just on my minimalist ish right now...

Anyway, to all my X heads, here's a trick for an instant dirty bass sound. Sample nothing (basically sample the noise floor), normalize it, and then filter it out. You end up with a dirty 60hz (in the US) sine wave with some grit and character - its up to you how much dirt to filter out/leave in. Tune it, loop it, ADSR it, EQ it, etc., and then assign it to an empty track and you got a killer bass sound spread out over all your pads. Theoretically this should work with any sampler, but I will admit I've never tried it with any other machine besides this one. And I think that's key about the X, it just inspires you to do sh1t you normally wouldn't do. Its an out-the-box box.
By Lampdog Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:50 pm
mp3 wrote:I'm just on my minimalist ish right now...

Me too, only 2 things that create music in my room and the interface is about it.
By Cicatrix Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:36 pm
mp3 wrote:
Lampdog wrote:There have been MANY days I wish I had never sold my ASR X PRO (lookin at that pic, today, is one of those days).

Yeah I hear you. I play with the notion of picking up another one every now and then (crazy what $150 can buy nowadays). The X was the sampler I really cut my teeth on. And there are things I still prefer about it over every other sampler. Like the fact that it has a dedicated sampling button and scratch pad on the front panel...

What killed it in the end for me was the one parameter at a time display, the fact that you couldn't get at the transwave function (without the chickensys editor), and the fact that they left the crossfade looping out. If it had a better display, I could live without the crossfade and transwaves. If it had the crossfade and transwaves, I could live with that display... I miss the effects too, but you can make do with one of the DP units.

Its a fantastic companion to any MPC though, and even given its weaknesses, its almost still worth it. I'm just on my minimalist ish right now...

Anyway, to all my X heads, here's a trick for an instant dirty bass sound. Sample nothing (basically sample the noise floor), normalize it, and then filter it out. You end up with a dirty 60hz (in the US) sine wave with some grit and character - its up to you how much dirt to filter out/leave in. Tune it, loop it, ADSR it, EQ it, etc., and then assign it to an empty track and you got a killer bass sound spread out over all your pads. Theoretically this should work with any sampler, but I will admit I've never tried it with any other machine besides this one. And I think that's key about the X, it just inspires you to do sh1t you normally wouldn't do. Its an out-the-box box.

excellent tips man. Thanks for this!
By mp3 Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:47 pm
Cicatrix wrote:excellent tips man. Thanks for this!

Yeah no doubt. I stubled upon that bass sound trick because the X has a auto-normalize function and one day I didn't have stuff routed correctly (at the time I was using an RME interface to move signals around the lab - powerful but confusing) so I was thinking I was sampling something and I wasn't... The mad genius machine straight up! :lol:

Any time you assign a raw sample to a track, it gets assigned chromatically, and a lot of people sleep on that. Stumbled on that one too. But the real trick is if you assign that same sample to one pad of a RAMkit on a separate track, then you can fully tweak out the sample. Then switch back to the chromatic track and play the tweaked sample across the whole keyboard! Its a partial workaround for the limited editing, but you still can't layer/keymap samples like you can on the ASR10. But at least you can get one sample across all the keys...