Forum for all other samplers & synths such as Maschine, MVs, Akai S & Z series, Roland, Korg, OP-1, analog synths etc.
By numanmpc Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:35 am
i've got these banks for ensoniq samplers. How can I load them in my 32mb asr-x?

These are full cds with hundreds of mb of instruments. I have scsi but no cd rom or zip or anything. thanks
By Lampdog Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:58 am
Maybe get a.....
numanmpc wrote:cd rom or zip or anything

......so that you can load them into your machine.

You also didn't say what format the cd's are in.
By numanmpc Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:12 pm
They are Ensoniq sounds on CDs but like I said these are full cds how can I load them in a 32mb machine, I dont understand why Ensoniq made cds this big when they never had big capacity samplers. I mean, you have like 8 mb of sound in an ensoniq kb that gives you ton of patches.

I like the way the patches sound on the asr the sound is great, but there's no strings pianos and stuff like that.

If we could load the rom of say, the mr or zr or ts etc.. it would sound great in the asr!
By Lampdog Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:22 am
I bought my asr10 brand new 18 years ago, and it came with the 8 factory disks, there was some good strings in that pack. I've never had scsi in my asr10. do you even have the factory disks?
By mp3 Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:54 pm
numanmpc wrote:I dont understand why Ensoniq made cds this big

Why isn't that obvious?

Let's just say they made 32mb CDs.... What's the difference between ten of those and one 320mb CD?

By the way, how are they to know how much memory you have installed?
By 950skweezyotitties Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:47 pm
you can open the cds on your pc with chicken systems translator. its a good way to listen to the sounds before you worry about opening them on the asrx.

then you can then copy them over to media that your asrx can read

or you can convert them to a different format like .wav or convert them to a file type for a different sampler.
By numanmpc Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:46 am
mp3 wrote:
numanmpc wrote:I dont understand why Ensoniq made cds this big

Why isn't that obvious?

Let's just say they made 32mb CDs.... What's the difference between ten of those and one 320mb CD?

By the way, how are they to know how much memory you have installed?

My point was simply that the amount of MB doesn't make the sounds better. I prefer the sound of a Kurzweil with 16 mb of rom, than a 4gb vst. Because of the noboard effects, architecture, converters, programmation, etc.. of the keyboard.

I have the exp3 card in my asr-x which has around 500 presets with 24 mb of rom. I meant it would be nice to load only a couple of meg and having lots of patches.

When I load 64 or so mb of programs and samples in my mpc 4k, i only get a couple of patches. Samples are long and huge, programmation is simple. Still, it sounds awesome, but I like the way the sounds come out of ensoniq stuff.

I'd like to have the bank of the MR in my asr-x. See the exp-3 can be installed in an mr keyboard. Like you can swap soundsets from e-mu gear, it would be nice to have the mr rom set on an exp card or something
By mp3 Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:18 pm
Oh I agree bigger isnt equivalent to better. But it's just a different ball game. ROM based synths use synthesis (and professional patch programmers) to maximize the limited samples they contain. So if you want that approach then you buy a ROMpler. OTOH when a company produces a sample library it's most of the time capitalizing on the fact that you can dedicate more samples to one sound, for a totally different kind of 'good' sound. Not necessarily better just different. For example its the difference between sampling an analog synth with the filter wide open and then using the digital filters etc to create new sounds, or making bigger samples of an analog synth with the filter actually doing something to the sound. But different is what the market wants.

Also, hardware manufacturers exist to sell hardware. So they have no incentive to make it so that you have to buy less hardware. That means that making it so that the X obviates the need for the MR is like them shooting themselves in the foot.

Also ensoniq didn't make any CDs for the X. They are asr10 CDs. The 10 can only have 8 instruments loaded. so it wasn't possible to fit 128 patches into its memory even if you wanted to.