Forum for all other samplers & synths such as Maschine, MVs, Akai S & Z series, Roland, Korg, OP-1, analog synths etc.
By szr Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:41 pm
What's even better is to throw out the HD & floppy, replace with a pcd50b & pcmcia to cf adapter.
.....The 1000hd has all the cabling needed for a straight swap with the above.

The acard 7720 plus ide cf drive also work.... but you need to hack a cable for that.... as you'll req. two power connectors.

I assume the 1000hd has the same 540mb or thereabouts size limit as the 1100.
By v00d00ppl Mon Dec 24, 2012 5:10 pm
szr wrote:Unless I'm mistaken a *balanced* 1/4 jack cable should be equiv. to an XLR.

Thanks. I caved in and made a bid on an s1000HD with 4MB of ram. Original owner from 1989. It looks minty. If I win I am picking it up locally on the 12/26. Merry Christmas to me. :-D

If you need professional grade cables on the cheap prices go to monoprice.com
By v00d00ppl Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:37 am
szr wrote:Cool, let us know how it goes

After the auction ended I drove to do a local pick up. Item was damn near mint. It came with the original box, 4MB upgrade, and a lot of professional sample discs. I saw the pricetag of the item originally and it said 6900.00 and the original box for the additional ram upgrade was for 999.00. Manual wasn't even touched. Not a bad deal for 230 dollars. I have to now read the manual to see how to find out what the capacity of the HD is.
By szr Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:54 pm
Wow, so the s1000hd cost around the same as the 1100... interesting, thanks for that info.
I was told a while ago that a s1100 with 32mb ram cost at least 10,000$
...I guess 3-4k just for the full RAM upgrade.

The HD should be 30/40MB, the 1000HD has a fan in the back, which helps distribute alot of dust all over the inside, might want to take the top off and blow out all the dust with some compressed air.
Will help the hard drive last longer & the sampler in general.
By mattian Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:25 pm
jibber wrote:The big shock for me was the 2KXL to be honest. I would have never thought this would sound so bad, but it does. There's no better word than "thin" to describe the sound. It lacks in stereo image, quality, bass... you name it.

Try to record it using individual outputs... to me sounds quite good in that way... the problem is it sums very bad, so the L-R out sounds very collapsed
By AntonPD Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:51 pm
mattian wrote:
jibber wrote:The big shock for me was the 2KXL to be honest. I would have never thought this would sound so bad, but it does. There's no better word than "thin" to describe the sound. It lacks in stereo image, quality, bass... you name it.

Try to record it using individual outputs... to me sounds quite good in that way... the problem is it sums very bad, so the L-R out sounds very collapsed

could you explain that a bit more?
By v00d00ppl Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:08 am
mattian wrote:

Can you post a sound demo of this ? We would be very interested in hearing this.

Thanks
By tapedeck Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:07 am
AntonPD wrote:
mattian wrote:

could you explain that a bit more?

hes saying the internal mixing of the xl is the culprit and so if you use the 8 outs and mix externally, it sounds better.

i cannot confirm nor deny this but there is your explanation. :mrgreen:

i definitely prefer mixing externally.
By mattian Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:28 am
look man, is a thing I noticed many times... I use just the Left output during production.. and sounds more "processed", when you produce don't care about anything, so I prefer using just one mono out because I have 8 in in my interface, so I have more channel free...

But when I track, I use all the MPC outs and everything sound more detailed and more defined, there's more space between tracks

That's what I'm hear and the explanation I give myself is that mixing everything inside the machine will have more "glue" but that glue is the MPC that cannot sum internally very well...

Even if you put everything inside a Boss pedal everything will sound more glued, but you also lose tons of sound

I think that's the reason why there are 8 outs, I noticed this even with the s3000xl

The fact I heard over this board the L-R is 18 bit instead 16 of the individual... I think is to leave a bit more headroom for overshoots.. which are quite frequent if the master bus has to handle all sounds together

So, the 2 bits more are totally useless on the individual outs

All this meaning, L-R impress more because sound more in your face... but they also kill transients, detail and separation between tracks.. after noticing this I've done many tests in the past all confirmed that