Forum for all other samplers & synths such as Maschine, MVs, Akai S & Z series, Roland, Korg, OP-1, analog synths etc.
By FatGyver Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:09 pm
Discovered something dope with an Akai s1000 last night. I'm not saying it sounds like the ringmod-type SP sound but something a bit similar.

The technique isn't new either: sample a break at +12 semitones into the sampler at 10K, then pitch it back down by -12 semitones and play it. Sounds marvelous.
The key is definitely sampling at 10K and not 20K…as the latter sounds way too clean and perfect. The difference is huge.

Really dope sound.
By peterpiper Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:04 am
typical behaviour IMO. The higher you pitch before sampling and the lower the samplerate -> the more aliasing artifacts you get cause the converter can't handle these high frequencies. It even gets nastier if you sample in with a high rec gain cause the overtones that the (slightly) overdriven signal produce creates even more aliasing.
Of course it always depends how the sampler works. Some got good aliasing filter build in so the effect won't be as raw as on other samplers.

peace
By mr_debauch Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:36 am
just so happens daydream posted a vid today comparing the sp1200, mirage, eps classic, and the s950.. showing tr-808 snare and kick samples.. same one sampled into each machine, then pitching them down to show a bit of aliasing.

By jimmie Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:18 am
FatGyver wrote:Discovered something dope with an Akai s1000 last night. I'm not saying it sounds like the ringmod-type SP sound but something a bit similar.

The technique isn't new either: sample a break at +12 semitones into the sampler at 10K, then pitch it back down by -12 semitones and play it. Sounds marvelous.
The key is definitely sampling at 10K and not 20K…as the latter sounds way too clean and perfect. The difference is huge.

Really dope sound.

I love the S1000 sound. Especially when you re-pitch samples. It doesn't do aliasing artefacts like the SP but it pitches beautifully, retaining a lot of the definition and frequency range of the sample, sounding crunchy crisp and detailed. It doesn't get muddy, smeary and muted like so many other samplers do when you pitch down. It sounds like a slowed-down record, not muffled.