Forum for all other samplers & synths such as Maschine, MVs, Akai S & Z series, Roland, Korg, OP-1, analog synths etc.
By Rokgod Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:39 am
Nice piece of gear, good sounds, pads are ok, but I've come to realize working with software AND hardware at the same time, SLOWS my work flow down CRAZYYYY, it's nuts, software is cool, but I don't think drum machines should run off software, software has too many shortcuts heirarchys etcss anything that can be done in the blink of an eye on an mpc takes 5 times longer on the machine even after you know what you're doing, the software hiccups now and then and there are bugs here and there, software isn't my thing, i think I will pass on the Ren and go for a 2500 with JJOS. Latency, even at the most minimal is still bad, and even if you have 2gb ram you're computer is gonna slow down real quick, i have a new macbook with an i7 2.8 ghz, please akai, check all that BS the machine is doing and just improve on it, and PLEASE keep the workflow exactly the same, once you veer towards the machines workflow style of things, everything is slowed down. I have used fruity loops, mpc1000, mpc2500 and now machine, the mpcs all kicked these products in the butt even with no pre loaded samples, kits, etc...my opinion also I'm working with machine 1.7, i don't know how people can work so much with software except Protools, thats the only software I never had a problem with.
By GodDevilWhatever Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:05 am
Right. It's basically been agreed upon inside of the real Hip Hop heads that the MPC Renaissance is basically useless without it being able to be completely independent and have the ability to make music without having another 1000 dollar computer when you already paid 1200 for a controller.

Maschine's workflow may not be the fastest but you better get used to it, as MPC's new software is not going to be that much faster.
By jpeg Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:14 am
InspectahEX wrote:Nice piece of gear, good sounds, pads are ok, but I've come to realize working with software AND hardware at the same time, SLOWS my work flow down CRAZYYYY, it's nuts, software is cool, but I don't think drum machines should run off software, software has too many shortcuts heirarchys etcss anything that can be done in the blink of an eye on an mpc takes 5 times longer on the machine even after you know what you're doing, the software hiccups now and then and there are bugs here and there, software isn't my thing, i think I will pass on the Ren and go for a 2500 with JJOS. Latency, even at the most minimal is still bad, and even if you have 2gb ram you're computer is gonna slow down real quick, i have a new macbook with an i7 2.8 ghz, please akai, check all that BS the machine is doing and just improve on it, and PLEASE keep the workflow exactly the same, once you veer towards the machines workflow style of things, everything is slowed down. I have used fruity loops, mpc1000, mpc2500 and now machine, the mpcs all kicked these products in the butt even with no pre loaded samples, kits, etc...my opinion also I'm working with machine 1.7, i don't know how people can work so much with software except Protools, thats the only software I never had a problem with.

the thing is its already been stated that the ren workflow is percisely the same as any other mpc the only difference is no floppy drives of flash drives.

but sounds like u have not become acustom to the maschine workflow because the beautry of maschine is u dont have to the mouse while making a beat u can do everything from the controller.
By JAH Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:33 am
InspectahEX wrote:Nice piece of gear, good sounds, pads are ok, but I've come to realize working with software AND hardware at the same time, SLOWS my work flow down CRAZYYYY, it's nuts, software is cool, but I don't think drum machines should run off software, software has too many shortcuts heirarchys etcss anything that can be done in the blink of an eye on an mpc takes 5 times longer on the machine even after you know what you're doing, the software hiccups now and then and there are bugs here and there, software isn't my thing, i think I will pass on the Ren and go for a 2500 with JJOS. Latency, even at the most minimal is still bad, and even if you have 2gb ram you're computer is gonna slow down real quick, i have a new macbook with an i7 2.8 ghz, please akai, check all that BS the machine is doing and just improve on it, and PLEASE keep the workflow exactly the same, once you veer towards the machines workflow style of things, everything is slowed down. I have used fruity loops, mpc1000, mpc2500 and now machine, the mpcs all kicked these products in the butt even with no pre loaded samples, kits, etc...my opinion also I'm working with machine 1.7, i don't know how people can work so much with software except Protools, thats the only software I never had a problem with.

Against my better judgement...lol

Even with an i7 2.8 gHz Mac...if you don't have a sound card that has low latency drivers..you will run into issues. That is not a Maschine issue. Its an issue you will find with any software to include Pro Tools. The MPC Ren is different as it has its own sound card built in. Dan stated Akai's goal is under 5 ms of latency and he has been getting around 2 ms of latency with his Mac Book.

Once you get familar with Maschine, you will be able to use it as fast or faster than an MPC. It really is simple to use..just different than an MPC.
By JAH Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:56 am
I don't mind hearing emptysea's take on things. Because most of his arguments for Maschine applies to the MPC Ren.
By Lampdog Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:40 pm
Wait for it.... wait for it.......
By dazastah Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:42 pm
i have the macbook pro i7 2.7 13 inch(just before the latest release 2.8) but i have rme fire face uc... i have no hiccups with maschine wats so ever. i get stable performance running 8 groups at 128 samples(not sure what the latency is i'm guessing around 2 to 5 ms roundtrip??) although as soon as i start adding fx and vat plugs it starts to chug...../hiccup...

I think workflow speeds for the end product between jjos mpc1000 and maschine are at par..... Certain speed differences at certain tasks are too minimal to have a great factor....
By mastasteez Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:44 pm
I've recently got Maschine too and I don't run VST's and rarely need more than 4/5 groups. I have a 3 year old laptop with alright spec and experience no latency at all, I've used Reason in the past with the same laptop and experienced latency so I think Maschine is excellent in that respect.

Workflow is a lot quicker, for me at least, then when I was using the 500.

Stick with it (at least until the MPC hybrids drop)
By evil A Sulli Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:11 pm
InspectahEX wrote:Nice piece of gear, good sounds, pads are ok, but I've come to realize working with software AND hardware at the same time, SLOWS my work flow down CRAZYYYY, it's nuts, software is cool, but I don't think drum machines should run off software...PLEASE keep the workflow exactly the same

The reason for the slowdown is because you are looking at two totally different screens. Jah came up with a good idea; here is the link: viewtopic.php?f=36&t=153683

If Akai saw the poll Jah did chances are they will not even bother with the MPC screen on the computer screen. Without the MPC readout on the computer screen it will cause some confusion because there is noting to relate to right away.

Sometimes a good idea gets bashed really bad, and the one Jah did was one of them.

InspectahEX wrote: i think I will pass on the Ren and go for a 2500 with JJOS.

Passing on the Ren is a big mistake, trust me--it's the past, present and the future of all music production.

I don't know if Akai (cause it works in their favor) planned this but to maximize your full potential you are going to need the Ren and a standalone MPC--because the JJOS is simply remakable.
By DJ Hellfire Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:25 pm
InspectahEX wrote:Nice piece of gear, good sounds, pads are ok,

1. but I've come to realize working with software AND hardware at the same time, SLOWS my work flow down CRAZYYYY, it's nuts, software is cool, but I don't think drum machines should run off software, software has too many shortcuts heirarchys etcss anything that can be done in the blink of an eye on an mpc takes 5 times longer on the machine even after you know what you're doing,

2. the software hiccups now and then and there are bugs here and there, software isn't my thing, i think I will pass on the Ren and go for a 2500 with JJOS. Latency, even at the most minimal is still bad, and even if you have 2gb ram you're computer is gonna slow down real quick, i have a new macbook with an i7 2.8 ghz,

3. please akai, check all that BS the machine is doing and just improve on it, and PLEASE keep the workflow exactly the same, once you veer towards the machines workflow style of things, everything is slowed down. I have used fruity loops, mpc1000, mpc2500 and now machine, the mpcs all kicked these products in the butt even with no pre loaded samples, kits, etc...my opinion also I'm working with machine 1.7, i don't know how people can work so much with software except Protools, thats the only software I never had a problem with.

It seems most these kinds of beefs with software are more based off of lack of knowledge than anything. So let me address each of your points.

1. It's not software that is slowing down your workflow. This makes no sense in regards to Maschine, as just about everything can be done on the controller. What's slowing down your workflow is the fact that it's a new piece of gear. I've been using Maschine since last October and only the past couple of months have been able to move around it nearly as quickly as an MPC. It takes time. You're not just going to jump into a completely new piece of gear and have the same workflow as what you had on something you've been using for years. That's just common sense. You just have to stick with it and learn it. Memorize the feature locations and modes. This is the only way to improve your workflow. I know from experience that you can't possibly be 100% fluent on the Maschine yet. You need to be patient and just use the thing and learn it. There isn't really much that can be done faster on an MPC than Maschine. Just about every comparable function can be executed faster on Maschine. And guys that have been on Maschine for years have crazy work flows.

2. First, 2GB ain't shit for a music rig. Most modern OS's use 1.5GB just to operate. Secondly, as for the Latency, this is dependent on your buffer setting and your interface. Set it to the 128 or lower and you will see an immediate improvement. You should also have an adequate interface with up to date drivers, not the MBP's built in sound card. Third, everything has bugs. My 2500 froze plenty of times. The midi notes stuck plenty of times, both resulting in the machine needing to be rebooted. To reduce glitches in Maschine, close all background apps while running it. I run my Maschine on a Core2Quad and it runs great and I browse the internet while making beats. So it should be even better on your MBP with the i7. I suggest upgrading the ram on your MBP as well. I just got a MBP a couple of weeks ago and found that the stock 4GB ram is inadequate for my needs, and I haven't even installed Maschine yet. I installed 8GB and it took a tremendous load off my memory ratio consumption.

3. Again, the key is to master the software and develop the workflow. It's the only way. The same applies to an MPC. When I first got my MPC 2000XL, I had a slow workflow until I mastered the machine. 8 years later when I got my 2500, my workflow slowed down a bit due to the different mode accessing method and learning all the new features and such. But after using it for a while, my workflow improved. Just have to get comfortable with it. It you have to think twice about where a function is, your workflow is going to be terrible.
By MONSTA Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:40 pm
does anyone know if they fixed the sample chop mode in ni maschine .. every time i to trim the sample .. it jumps every were .. then i have to start all over again .. so i just gave up using maschine .. i hope this does not happen in mpc ren ..
By DJ Hellfire Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:06 pm
MONSTA wrote:does anyone know if they fixed the sample chop mode in ni maschine .. every time i to trim the sample .. it jumps every were .. then i have to start all over again .. so i just gave up using maschine .. i hope this does not happen in mpc ren ..

Mine never did this, but Jah said he had that problem too. I actually haven't had any problems with the software, bug wise. It does lack a few basic features I would like, but it's been very reliable for me, on two different computers. Have you tried using it on the latest software version?
By strugglebuggiemusic Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:18 pm

Comparing mASS-CHINE to 'the RENNY Renaissance" is like comparing McDonalds to Red Lobster...weve been telling you it wasnt gunna satisfy you... 8)
By MPCWeapon1 Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:19 pm

Logic is incredible, but it slows my work flow down tremendously. That's why I like to use my MPC 1K for software beats. With JJOS I can use Logic as a Sound Module. When I'm done convert the midi channels into audio tracks and have all the sounds on my MP.

JJ's a genius.