Forum for all other samplers & synths such as Maschine, MVs, Akai S & Z series, Roland, Korg, OP-1, analog synths etc.
By Coru Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:33 pm
I'm very unfamiliar with rackmount samplers. But several times now i've read that something like an s2000/s3000 makes a good combo with an MPC. I understand these units have certain sound characteristics that people find appealing.

I don't really understand how the two units work together. Does the mpc "control" the rackmount sampler. How would this effect the work flow of making a beat? (my setup is mpc1000+a small mixer)
By Ian Canefire Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:10 am
You would be using the mpc to sequence the rack mounted sampler. Most rack samplers do not have sequencers inside them...they just store sounds. The really good ones have a synth in them as well, or the ability to morph and reshape the sample into another sound. So now you need a sequencer to have sounds played at specific times.
I suggest you do much research before you spend on old samplers..many are great and even more of them are a bit old and fiddly now. most have good and bad points.
cheers,
Ian
By Coru Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:00 pm
thanks guys!

In the initial post I mentioned that these samplers are known to have their own distinct sound. Say if I were to transfer a bunch of samples into an s1000 (via SCSI) would it sound different or would I actually have to sample with the s1000 to get these unique sound characteristics? (i hope that makes sense)
By Ian Canefire Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:42 pm
What Crossings said. Unless you are simply using the sampler as an effects box. In which case you are simply having the sound go into the sampler, have an effect added and then recording or playing live what comes out of the sampler.

I use 2 Yamaha A4000's in the way described above. Yamaha has great sounding effects in those samplers. Obviously I can still use them to sample but I don't very much since I bought an akai z4. The Z4 has many nice tricks up its sleeve but the effects are not as great to me.
While doing your research on rack samplers make sure you define for yourself what your needs are. Some people want the old school sound of the akai 900 or 950. Some like the cleaner sound of the 24bit Z series. Note that nowadays lots of gear has a way to take the sample and make it sound lofi (older). The Yamaha's do this well. So does Roland though some people say they don't like it so much. Some of the older samplers only record sounds in 12 bit and they have older converters throughout. So that old sound is natural instead of a process making a new sound sound old. Yah Dig?
Before you drop a big amount on an old rack sampler just note that some keyboards and synth sample really well also. Like the Roland V-synth - it is a great sampler.
cheers,
Ian
PS read up on vintage synth explorer's website.
By Coru Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:19 am
Thanks for the help. hmmm....well my main criteria is something that will add a little character to my drums. i wouldn't mind some additional FX, but it is not integral. I did find somebody willing to part with an s1100 in my town, but im not sure its the right sampler for me because im not sure how much of that old school flavor it will provide compared to an s1000/s9xx