Forum for all other samplers & synths such as Maschine, MVs, Akai S & Z series, Roland, Korg, OP-1, analog synths etc.
By hjolkie Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:13 pm
This thread is for those of you (like me) who were interested in purchasing a Studio. Since I read this
viewtopic.php?p=1497133#p1497133
I've gotten cold feet. Face it, it´s obvious that Nukai messed up the software. They failed to put the required amount of manpower behind it. It´s just flat out wrong to consult fanboy beta testers like JAH. Look what he wrote about the 5k. Unintentionally hilarious! He would be a great spokesperson for Kim Jong-un. Anyway. The APC´s are a different story. One APC 20 (200 bucks at Sweetwater; one-third of the price of a Studio) comes with the so-called Ableton Live 8 Akai Professional APC Edition which stands in sharp contrast to the MPC software mess. Here´s a reminder:
8 audio tracks per project
8 midi tracks per project
32-bit audio depth/192kHz resolution
2 stereo audio inputs
2 stereo audio outputs
Includes Simpler instrument for sample-based synthesis
Includes Impulse instrument for percussion sound design
23 Ableton audio effects
8 Ableton MIDI effects
8 Ableton instruments per project
8 Ableton audio effects per project
8 Ableton MIDI effects per project
4 external VST/AU instrument instances per project
4 external VST/AU effect instances per project
Effect sidechaining
Time signature changes
Session View
20 scenes per project
Multiple automation lanes
3 send and return tracks per project
Track Freeze
Clip envelopes and Follow Actions
Automatic plug-in delay compensation
Tempo Nudge
MIDI remote control instant mapping
MIDI output to hardware synths
MIDI Clock/sync
ReWire Master
ReWire Slave
Multicore/multiprocessor support
SmartPriming memory management
MP3, Ogg Vorbis, FLAC file support

The APC20´s note mode, which flips the grid buttons into a chromatic keyboard configuration is useful for working with Live’s drum racks. There are also function pages for the faders, allowing them to operate as three independent banks of ordinary MIDI faders. Both of these features enable the APC20 to behave as a generic MIDI controller. Live supports multiple APC devices at once, in what it refers to as Combination Mode. To cut a long story short, for potential buyers, I suggest this instead of the Studio.

P.S.: Live 8 includes a library of different MPC groove templates:
http://s14.directupload.net/file/d/3025 ... lr_jpg.htm
By Metatron72 Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:22 pm
I kind of see what you're saying, but it's an apple and oranges comparison really.

Ableton supplanted Reason a while back as my favorite, go to software, but let's be fair iTunes is only software on earth that's been historically as bug filled and crash prone.

You have illustrated how versatile the APC/Live combo is and the value it represents, I fully agree. I use a Launchpad and MIDI controllers to achieve a similar flow.

I think if you want to compare an APC setup to a MPC Studio (again I only see a general relation, just as sequencing environments with hands on control), you would have to add in a modded MPD or a Korg padkontrol as the APC has no velocity sensitivity and most would want larger pads.
By Clint Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:23 pm
I'm really struggling to see a point to this thread...

So I'm gonna give it the silent countdown unless you make the purpose clear.

All I'm seeing is a list of APC features over here.
By Clint Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:58 pm
clint246clint wrote:I'm really struggling to see a point to this thread...