Forum for all other samplers & synths such as Maschine, MVs, Akai S & Z series, Roland, Korg, OP-1, analog synths etc.
By Fanu Wed May 25, 2016 10:42 pm
Coz wrote:
Fanu wrote:https://www.instagram.com/p/BFzC7geC8nk/?taken-by=jannehatula

"Had to do it"
;-)

Did you run out of money for cables? :mrgreen:

Haha nah. Just placed them on the living room coffee table for show.
By Cockdiesel Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:34 am
Think these will ever come down on price?

Love the emax I got even though it does show its age. I heard there’s a sp for sale locally but it has some issues. Mix out is broken as well as a worn pad and or slider. The ones on eBay/ reverb have been on there for months, they don’t seem to sell and for 4000.00 I can see why.

I haven’t checked it out yet, it’s about an hour from me at a shop. My friend said they were asking $ 2000.00.

This is the lowest I’ve seen one in a long time but considering it has issues, it worries me.

Anyone have any thoughts?
By Coz Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:45 am
Cockdiesel wrote:Think these will ever come down on price?

No, not unless they're re-released at a sensible price.
By richie Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:55 am
Yeah $2000 for an SP1200 with problems of any sort is still too high. It should be priced as "Parts Only" unless you know for certain how much it will cost to repair.

Also, you have to ask yourself what it is that you'd intend on doing with the SP1200 and why you'd want one. Is it for how it sounds? Do you like the subtle off timing of the sequencer? Is it just so you can post about it on instagram and get likes? The thing with buying gear is that it gets to the point of just buying it to have it, and never actually using it. (well at least that is how it is for me with half my pieces unfortunately).
By Cockdiesel Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:37 am
I’ve always wanted one, I remember when they were under a grand but I was young and couldn’t afford it. I stopped paying attention after while and it seems these just jump in price.

I can get the sound that is similar from the emax, but I just resample stuff into it. The interface is really limited and I can see why the sp is prized. Having more than one slider would be awesome. Lol. It would be a work horse for me, the sound of the sp is what got me into music. No social media props, or anything like that.

Ideally I can rid myself of the stuff I got collecting dust and use the sp with my mpc. However with the mix out not working, I’d have to use the other outputs. So I’d need another mixer or some other work around.

I’m assuming that sending it out to be serviced might run into 1000 or more range with shipping. So I’d be at where ones on the internet are selling at... it’s functioning just not the greatest.

Its a black one but I don’t know to many other details other than what was mentioned. 2000 is about the limit I would spend on one piece of gear, and not sure if I will ever see an sp this low again. Even if it has to be sent off for repairs, in a few years the ones up at 7000 might be the norm. Which is insane.
By Coz Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:57 am
Cockdiesel wrote:2000 is about the limit I would spend on one piece of gear, and not sure if I will ever see an sp this low again.

That's the conundrum...

I bought the SP-12 as a curiosity piece and really enjoyed using it for the few years I had it, and especially liked flipping it for double the price I paid for it. I honestly don't miss it though. They're just too limited for modern production IMO.
By richie Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:45 am
Keep in mind that there are different revisions of the SP1200 too. I believe the 1998 reissue didn't use the SSM filter IC that was used in the 1980's revisions which is said to affect the sound. If the individual outs are working and the mix out isn't, then it could be something as simple as a cracked solder joint which is something one can easily reflow. The problem is that if it is something else, paying to ship that machine across the country to get serviced can inflate the cost significantly. I will say, since you're in this game, you should already have a mixer to be able to handle tasks like this though man. Have a look at getting a Mackie 1604 or even a 1402 to handle the 8 outs and possibly your emax if you were to use them together.

These eBay prices are for those weirdo dudes in Europe and Japan that like being marks at the end of the day. I believe half of the ones that sell are shill bids. What they do is, they post it for whatever they want, use a second eBay account to buy it now or bid on it. Once the auction is completed, the second eBay account can request a cancellation to which the primary one can accept so no fees are incurred. Now when people do a search for sold or completed listings, it still shows the sale was successful which gives some false credence to what sh*t "should" go for.

If you think the SP1200 workflow will do you right, have you considered looking for an SP12 instead? You could find a base one, spend about $35 to do the Turbo upgrade to give yourself some more sample time (I could send you the upgrade myself), only difference is that the SP12 Turbo has a couple seconds less sample time and the sample rate is slightly different - not enough to notice or let alone complain about.
By Cockdiesel Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:08 am
I actually have a mackie mixer, and Can get by in the short term. If it’s something I want to go forward with i would want somthing to track it out on. Allen and Heath Qu-Pac comes to mind, but I’m not sure if it’s just for live setups or what. It’s essentially a standalone daw. The rme you have mentioned previously does as well, but I’m not sure I’d want to dedicate it to just the sp.

That’s my concern with the issues. If its something simple, I caught a deal. If not I’m basically a mark who had to waste time and money getting it serviced.

Sp 12 would be fine as well but I haven’t seen any under 2000 for awhile.

I will put some thought into it and maybe give the place a call before anything. I’m really in no rush, and was planning on clearing out gear not getting more. It’s just nice to see people’s thoughts on this stuff.
By vout Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:35 am
If you really want an SP then this is probably your best shot. All the faults mentioned are easy to fix as long as everything else is working ok - replacement sliders and pads are available and if the individual outs are still working then the mix out is probably just a broken jack or blown opamp - any tech can fix that cheap. SP bargains are getting very hard to find these days, someone else is sure to grab it if you don't.
By Cockdiesel Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:03 am
Yea, I made some calls today.

Seems actually more solid than I thought. 200 bucks was the estimate for the repair if I wanted to send it out. I got the vibe it was something probably simple. Shipping to forat was like 65 bucks each way but that’s without insurance included. I just wanted a rough ideas. Forat got back to me in less than a half hour.
By Cockdiesel Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:24 am
Checked this out tonight. It was shady. They didn’t have the os disk and when I looked it over it was obviously missing the fuse in the back. It wasn’t a reissue, just had a reissue face plate. The missing fuse and no way to test the machine was no deal. I asked them how it powered on without the fuse and they just talking about thier tech who was just using it....

Watch out folks, not sure what that was all about but it didn’t feel like a spot to be dropping two grand.. I’m no expert but it was a Frankenstein piece in ruff shape. It turned on but I don’t think it’s worth checking out again. Thinking I might flip more of my gear and get the real deal but not for awhile.
By FromthePantoL.A. Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:31 pm
"Checked this out tonight. It was shady. They didn’t have the os disk and when I looked it over it was obviously missing the fuse in the back."

Looks like you've found an SP 1200 already. I was just about to downsize my set up as I will be moving soon and I still have an sp 1200 that I may sell or trade for another mpc3000 ( preferably an LE ) plus $
It looks perfect as I've had it in the original box and haven't ever touched it -true story I had a back up and , as u can see ,plenty of other stuff.
Everything the machine came with is there.
I've seen the prices on reverb and eBay. Some are pretty crazy and when you couple in some of the work many of them need...I guess it just depends on how bad you want or need the machine.