Forum for all other samplers & synths such as Maschine, MVs, Akai S & Z series, Roland, Korg, OP-1, analog synths etc.
By marrelarre Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:03 pm
As a previous post discussed I just bought a s950 to replace my old s900.

Ive now been able to mess with it and ran the RAM test, which gave the the respons
"BAD ICL1".
Does anyone know what this mean? :hmmm: Ive googled & read the manual but I dont feel any wiser.
A lot of people have the problem "Bad RAM kit DKxx", but this is something else right?

Anyone got any experience with this?

His older brother, the s900, is more than willing to donate parts if needed! (what a guy, i know!)
By master-ceo Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:14 pm
Anyone got a link to the s950 Service Manual?
By master-ceo Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:14 pm
Thanks man I'll check it out. I'll keep searching around for info on your issue.
By crossings Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:31 pm
open it up... check the RAM chips... one of them has come loose... you need to re-seat it. either push down on where the ram connects or pull them out and put them back in. i'm almost positive that will fix your problem.
By crossings Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:50 pm
the ram is soldered on the s900... i don't think it's the case with the s950. open it up and check the ram... the issue is coming from the RAM chip regardless... you may as well check it out physically. i'm convinced it's just a loose connection. if i remember correctly you can access the ram by opening up the bottom panel.
By marrelarre Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:05 pm
No thats the ram expansion, the two added RAM expansions are installed behind the bottom panel, but the original 720kb is the same as the s900, you gotta remove the voiceboard to see em, and they'll be 28 small chips, im pretty sure this is the case (not 100%, havent removed the board in the s950 yet, but i cant see how the s950 would be different from the s900)

Theres nothing under the bottom panel except 2 slots that i wish had 1.5 mb in em :|

Do you think i should remove the voiceboard and take a look at the ram? It will probably be soldered to the board :(
By master-ceo Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:10 am
I would still take a look even if soldered in. A common symptom of a bad RAM chip will be excessive heat coming from it compared to the others. I would also inspect the solder joints if applicable.

I would take crossings advice and reseat all the connections going to the RAM board and any others you have access to while taking a look inside.
By master-ceo Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:18 am
marrelarre wrote:Alright, i guess ill get started!

Why couldnt they have put the ram in the top layer? :mrgreen:

Made some beats on it last night and it seems to work fine.

:mrgreen: Well if ain't broke..... I would let it be For now if it's working fine.
By marrelarre Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:36 am
Yeah Ima take that back, i opened it up and was like "fuuck man, too many connectors and screws"

Im gonna wait for myself to find what this BAD ICL1 does before I start worrying over fixing it.

Nice to have a 100% working backlight, my s900 had a faulty LCD converter so it only gave out light half of the time.
By peterpiper Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:00 pm
marrelarre wrote:Yeah Ima take that back, i opened it up and was like "fuuck man, too many connectors and screws"

Im gonna wait for myself to find what this BAD ICL1 does before I start worrying over fixing it.

Nice to have a 100% working backlight, my s900 had a faulty LCD converter so it only gave out light half of the time.

1. When the light is only low its more the EL foil than the inverter.

2. If the RAM inside the 950 is at the same place as it is inside the 900 it looks like this

I wouldn't go for it if it doesnt really causes problems

I would try to sample a tone over the complete memory and hope that there are no clicks/pops in it or at least only in the last second of the sampletime :)

peace
By marrelarre Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:25 pm
peterpiper wrote:
marrelarre wrote:Yeah Ima take that back, i opened it up and was like "fuuck man, too many connectors and screws"

1. When the light is only low its more the EL foil than the inverter.

2. If the RAM inside the 950 is at the same place as it is inside the 900 it looks like this

I wouldn't go for it if it doesnt really causes problems

I would try to sample a tone over the complete memory and hope that there are no clicks/pops in it or at least only in the last second of the sampletime :)

peace

Well no its not the foil, its not darker, it goes off, then comes back on, etc etc. (Already comfirmed this by looking inside)

Yeah I'm happy its not a "BAD RAM kit" error, thats the one that **** the samples up, which my machine doesnt. I'll report back when/if I stumble on the problem, and hopefully I wont :wink: