Forum for all other samplers & synths such as Maschine, MVs, Akai S & Z series, Roland, Korg, OP-1, analog synths etc.
By vout Tue Feb 09, 2016 3:50 pm
All the info is on this page -

http://hxc2001.free.fr/floppy_drive_emulator/

go to the part that says "USB Stick STM32 HxC Floppy Emulator (beta):" - you need a Gotek drive, a cheap usb serial programmer (£2 on ebay) and a 10 euro licence to reflash the drive online. Follow the instructions and it works, any problems and the HxC guy is very helpful. Once you have flashed the drive you prepare your usb stick using the HxC software for use with the S950 (or any supported device), just like you would for a normal HxC drive.

The 10 euro payment includes any further updates to the firmware using a usb stick.
By hok-2 Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:59 pm
There was some Cat selling those Gotek Emulators a while back for S950' and all that on ebay.
So I think it's possible
Ive got a Gotek floppy Emulator in my Mpc 2000 instead of a floppy Drive and I've tried it on my Akai S3000i
It doesent work on any of the jumper settings I tried.
But you've got to props to these guys who addapt these things
Those Goteks are suplied with a disk in Japanese and instructions for operating a industrial sewing machine, so big up to those who dug deeper.
Byanon59df43 Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:27 am
Random question: does anyone know if you can put a Gotek in the S950, S3000 and MPC3000 - and then transfer files between these machines with the USB?
I’ve done this surprisingly often with floppy discs between these 3 machines (it only works going S950 to S3000 to MPC3000). It’s a handy work around – eg, if I run out of memory on the S950, or want to normalize an S950 sample.
Losing this option is the main thing that has delayed me in replacing my floppy drives...
By tapedeck Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:56 pm
steviequorn wrote:Random question: does anyone know if you can put a Gotek in the S950, S3000 and MPC3000 - and then transfer files between these machines with the USB?
I’ve done this surprisingly often with floppy discs between these 3 machines (it only works going S950 to S3000 to MPC3000). It’s a handy work around – eg, if I run out of memory on the S950, or want to normalize an S950 sample.
Losing this option is the main thing that has delayed me in replacing my floppy drives...

i would think in theory this would be possible, as the files are just disk images, but i dont have one to test.

i will say tho, i'm glad folks are having luck with the gotek but i'll always put my money on the actual hxc hardware working smoother since it is designed to work with the hxc software. the goteks always seem kind of like a hack to me.
Byanon59df43 Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:05 pm
Thanks for your thoughts Tapedeck. I'm interested to hear that you think that the HXC is the better option. Its always put me off when reading other forum posts because it sounds like there can be issues relating to a 'resistor mod' and fitting the actual drive in place of the old floppy drive. Perhaps I've got the wrong end of the stick? Can you elaborate a bit on why you prefer the HXC?

Its also good to know you think swapping images between the S950/ S3000/ MPC would work in theory. Itd be great to know if anyone out there has tried it.
By tapedeck Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:22 pm
steviequorn wrote:Thanks for your thoughts Tapedeck. I'm interested to hear that you think that the HXC is the better option. Its always put me off when reading other forum posts because it sounds like there can be issues relating to a 'resistor mod' and fitting the actual drive in place of the old floppy drive. Perhaps I've got the wrong end of the stick? Can you elaborate a bit on why you prefer the HXC?

Its also good to know you think swapping images between the S950/ S3000/ MPC would work in theory. Itd be great to know if anyone out there has tried it.

mostly because the software and the hardware were designed for each other. the goteks seem to be cheap hardware with the good hxc software hacked to work in them. so i'm just saying i tend to favor the official method over the hack.
i also prefer the sd card way over the usb stick method...personal preference.
i have two hxc devices and never had a problem with resistor mods. i can't comment on the drive not fitting because i got mine without that case. having said that...how hard can it really be? the floppy drive size is a standard and i'm sure they did their best to match it. sure there will be some slight differences but no more than from floppy drive to floppy drive. sounds like internet grumbling.
take all that with a grain of salt tho as i said, the ones i used did not have a case.

i will admit that my first impression of the goteks came before they had hacked the hxc software into them, and the way their software worked seemed ridiculous compared to hxc. could be a non-issue now.
good luck...i'd say get one and try it...physically install it in both devices one at a time and see what happens.