Forum for all other samplers & synths such as Maschine, MVs, Akai S & Z series, Roland, Korg, OP-1, analog synths etc.
By forknspoon Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:02 am
just curious how people have them set up together... midi, line out etc...

any suggestions good... was thinking about adding one to the collection... thanks!
By crossings Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:18 am
lately, rather than actually sampling into it, i've just been using the 303 as an effects box for the MPC... i run outputs numbers 3 & 4 of the MPC into the SP303's inputs and then the 303's outputs go into my mixer... i turn the EXT SOURCE button on and just run audio through it's effects in real time... it can give the MPC a lo-fi sound within seconds. :mrgreen:
By forknspoon Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:28 am
crossings wrote:lately, rather than actually sampling into it, i've just been using the 303 as an effects box for the MPC... i run outputs numbers 3 & 4 of the MPC into the SP303's inputs and then the 303's outputs go into my mixer... i turn the EXT SOURCE button on and just run audio through it's effects in real time... it can give the MPC a lo-fi sound within seconds. :mrgreen:

awesome, that is the exact response I was looking for
By jonestown massacre Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:01 am
DJ mixer Outputs--->SP-303 Stereo In
Digi 003R Mono Out--->SP-303 Mic In
SP-303 Outputs--->Digi 003R Ins
MPC2KXL Midi Out--->SP-303 Midi In

Same idea as crossings, except midi control from XL, and direct feed from DJ mixer AND MPC/interface so that I can add pre or post effects. **** gotta have options, lol. Wanted to cop a second 303, but this set-up is a cheaper option.
By Ill-Green Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:55 pm
crossings wrote:lately, rather than actually sampling into it, i've just been using the 303 as an effects box for the MPC... i run outputs numbers 3 & 4 of the MPC into the SP303's inputs and then the 303's outputs go into my mixer... i turn the EXT SOURCE button on and just run audio through it's effects in real time... it can give the MPC a lo-fi sound within seconds. :mrgreen:

Thats how I use my three oh three with my Five Hundred and Em Vee.

Sure the Em Vee got effects, but they're not like the es pee three oh lord three.
By Ill-Green Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:04 am
I just wanted to add that also I usually sample sequences from the 500 into the 303 and add effects after. Sometimes split a sequence's tracks among the 303 pads and give effects to certain tracks.

Thats what I love about the 303s sequencer. Its like an 8 track tape recorder with everlasting overdub.

I also wanted to add that if you get an OG 404, you can hot swap the CF card with a MPC500, 1000, 2500 and any other MPC with a card reader for that digital to digital conversion without going through the analog inputs. That way you'll be able to sample and lay effects on the 404 and hot swap it to the MPC1000 to be sequenced or vice-versa however you like.
By dryad-66 Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:20 am
Ill-Green wrote:.

I also wanted to add that if you get an OG 404, you can hot swap the CF card with a MPC500, 1000, 2500 and any other MPC with a card reader for that digital to digital conversion without going through the analog inputs. That way you'll be able to sample and lay effects on the 404 and hot swap it to the MPC1000 to be sequenced or vice-versa however you like.

Wow,good info.There a 404 OG available in my area for 100 inglish.Got pad 1 broke.Can it be fixed or is it any problem apart from missing a sample place?cheers.
By Ill-Green Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:31 am
dryad-66 wrote:
Ill-Green wrote:.

Wow,good info.There a 404 OG available in my area for 100 inglish.Got pad 1 broke.Can it be fixed or is it any problem apart from missing a sample place?cheers.

You can still get the parts from Roland. I've heard people buying the sensor sheet for the 404SX and it worked on the OG and the 303. But with the 303, you have to carefully cut it to size.
By jonestown massacre Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:31 am
Haven't had to take mine apart (knock on wood.) for $100, just use the external input function and do it live, it will still be a steal (and on the OG 404, most mpcs with cf are a straight swap..)

Bong bong
By Ill-Green Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:57 am
The SP505 came out first, then came the 303 months later. The 303 is basically the 505 in an SP202 form. They were advertised for different genres like the 505 for DnB heads and the 303 for Hip Hop heads and they were advertised as the 505 being the in-house studio sampler and the 303 for live performances and DJ use because you can hot swap the smartmedia cards on those too. So what you worked on the 505 at home, can be played on the 303 on stage.
By damien907 Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:33 am
this thread is amazing.

ill green: when you record your seprate tracks from a sequence into the sp's do they line back up perfectly with one and other? or do you have to midi sync it?
are all the samples on the mpc when you do this?
By abc Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:13 pm
Been thinking about getting a 303 or 404sx primarily as an effects and filtering unit & also to record samples into my 2500 through. Along with that it looks like it'd bee a fun new toy. I'm liking that the 404 has the option of batteries and the the cf reader but I'm wondering if the lofi setting compares to the natural sound of the 303? Also I understand that the 404's internal memory depends entirely on how much space is on the card, I'm wondering if that is the same case for the 303?
By mr_debauch Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:43 pm
abc wrote:Also I understand that the 404's internal memory depends entirely on how much space is on the card, I'm wondering if that is the same case for the 303?

yeah.. it isn't about ram, it is about space on the card.... which equals to hours on low settings and many many minutes on the highest quality with stereo. Essentially there are 3 quality settings, the lowest one isn't always great, the middle one is pretty good...

You have to sample to pads so you will run out of pads to put things on (in all the banks) before you run out of sample time.

the thing to consider too is that you don't save anything, you just turn off the machine and turn it back on and everything is still assigned. That is why I have quite a few cards so I can assign different things on different cards. I don't think there is a way to save multiple programs on a card and load different things on the card to the pads.