Forum for all other samplers & synths such as Maschine, MVs, Akai S & Z series, Roland, Korg, OP-1, analog synths etc.
By soundtech Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:17 pm
rs7000

what do you all think? don't expect it to sound like a vintage sampler or whatever naught

anyone tried it? think its a nice beatbox especially for sequencing sampler boxes or even synths. it has midi and audio effects. it looks good on paper

also, unlike mp's in terms of pattern based sequencing you can run a 16 bar sequence along a 4 bar sequence, along a 1 bar loop and so on, much like ableton session view

has anyone tried this out?
By psr Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:08 am
I had one in my possession for about a week. the effects from what I can remember were great. lots of flexibility there. I didn't have it long enough to learn to use it. I picked it up for a friend in Chicago who found it on Craigslist in Cali near me. I can tell you that my friend raves about it and he even shared some cool youtube vids of a cat that lives by it for hiphop and boombap. not my cup of tea, the rs7000, but its cool depending on what you are looking to do.
By soundtech Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:08 pm
cheers for posting. i heard the fx are good too

it has midi offset and midi effects which is cool

for sequencing synths i think its very good and for manipulating samples. quite a different workflow from an mpc, you can only tell once you tried it out thats why i was asking has anyone tried
By faze1 Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:17 am
The rs7000 was my first sampler. Due to its limitations (sampling wise), I went the mpc route. The rs7000 is a dope machine. Its strength lies in its sequencer. As a beginner it was super easy to learn. Nice fx as well. Again, I went mpc because of the lack of sample editing features and the cost to upgrade with the multi output board. Once I desired to multitrack out my music, I knew io needed something different. nice machine, but I needed different for the direction in which I wanted to go.
By Ian Canefire Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:55 pm
Soundtech
RS7000 is nice but has a few major drawbacks. The biggest one being the storage method. It uses the outdated and expensive smart media card.
The other problem is that it is a slow load.

I was in your boat and did a lot of research on this and the MPC4000. I ended up getting the 4000 instead.

Yamaha makes great equipment but they are always complex. They are just starting to get the idea of simplicity. Once you figure it out you are fine but before you will be scratching your head. Which in the end is cool because they are not designing things with "the soft bigotry of low expectations".
They expect you to think and dive in.

The RS7000 is an upgraded RM1X which is an upgraded SU700 or QY700. Like many things the first version is always the beloved and most fun. The second version adds a few things and almost gets it right. Then the third version is like WTF. The RS has a good sampler which makes it better than the RM1X(no sampling). The SU700 is fun pure and simple (very slow loading).

The RS7000 has a great pattern sequencing flow that is different than all other machines. However, it is more complex to at first, wrap your head around. If you are used to the RM1x and the SU you will get it.

The MPC4000 got the sequencing thing perfect so you will understand it much faster than the time it will take to get the RS. The RS7000 does not have the amount of midi ports as an mpc also.

The RS7000 has good midi timing so you don't have to worry about that.

In my experience, you will get an RS7000 like it and get over it. Then maybe lament it. However the MPC4000 and Roland MC909 is the greatest combination since peanut butter and jelly.

I know two users that are crazy about the RS7000. Look up adekoyote (koyotemohn) on youtube he is an all hardware guy that uses the RS7000 still and did not get into the Akai way of doing things. He will convince you of why you should love it above all other machines.

I rest,

Cheers,
Ian
By psr Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:39 pm
Ian Canefire wrote:Soundtech
RS7000 is nice but has a few major drawbacks. The biggest one being the storage method. It uses the outdated and expensive smart media card.

I was in your boat and did a lot of research on this and the MPC4000. I ended up getting the 4000 instead.

Yamaha makes great equipment but they are always complex. They are just starting to get the idea of simplicity. Once you figure it out you are fine but before you will be scratching your head. Which in the end is cool because they are not designing things with "the soft bigotry of low expectations".

The RS7000 is an upgraded RM1X which is an upgraded SU700 or QY700. Like many things the first version is always the beloved and most fun. The second version adds a few things and almost gets it right. Then the third version is like WTF. The RS has a good sampler which makes it better than the RM1X(no sampling). The SU700 is fun pure and simple (very slow loading).

The RS7000 has a great pattern sequencing flow that is different than all other machines. However, it is more complex to at first, wrap your head around. If you are used to the RM1x and the SU you will get it.

The MPC4000 got the sequencing thing perfect so you will understand it much faster than the time it will take to get the RS. The RS7000 does not have the amount of midi ports as an mpc also.

In my experience, you will get an RS7000 like it and get over it. Then maybe lament it. However the MPC4000 and Roland MC909 is the greatest combination since peanut butter and jelly.

I know two users that are crazy about the RS7000. Look up adekoyote (koyotemohn) on youtube he is an all hardware guy that uses the RS7000 still and did not get into the Akai way of doing things. He will convince you of why you should love it above all other machines.

I rest,

Cheers,
Ian

mad informative and well thought out reply.

.... yes! what he said.
By soundtech Sat Dec 21, 2013 1:59 am
Ian Canefire wrote:Soundtech

I rest,

Cheers,
Ian

Cheers for the detailed explanation. i was in doubt about certain features. the manual seems quite complex. i still believe is a great machine i'd only buy for sequencing only.

Also like you, i have been looking into a 4000 as well and i think researching for as long as you have before you bought was a very good thing to do

I feel a lot better on mpcs but still open to try other boxes

I use 60/3000 here and am very happy with sequencing

If i got my hands on a 4000 i;m confident i'd feel very comfortable with it too

i still havent rulled the rs7000 out as a sequencer. you said you reckon it is good for that and i agree, also good timing, i don't mind two midi outs that is good enough for me.

things like poor storage options or slow loading times you can only come across by trying it out or researching good enough

so thanks for pointing those out
By Coz Sat Dec 21, 2013 3:02 am
Ian Canefire wrote:The RS7000 has good midi timing so you don't have to worry about that.

The timing between the two boxes sounds pretty flakey to me.

By Ian Canefire Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:54 pm
@Coz,
That's a good video to see. I don't know what was going on in that video. That was sounding off beat at times.
There are so many parameters that can be controlled who knows what he's got going on.

I am no RS7000 expert by any stretch of the imagination. I have not performed with it live or anything. People I know that have gotten deep into it have told me it works fine (midi timing wise)and their music was the proof.

After noticing jitter in the Fantom S (when it is the master and you track out to the roland vs) I became paranoid about gear with funky timing. (a whole topic in itself)

Cheers,
Ian

PS My list (personal knowledge) of gear with inaccurate time in some form or other:

Roland Fantom S keyboard
Yamaha RM1X with the old chips
Boss RC-50
Yamaha motif rack (not to be confused with the excellent timing of the Motif rack es)
By Headphones Sat May 13, 2017 3:39 am
Yeah, it's quite a beast! You might want to make sure you have a bit of room in your studio for it. It's probably about the size of the MPC 4000! You can upgrade its outputs in the back if you get that one hard to find card Yamaha used to sell for it's Motif keyboards (if you really need it). It's got plenty of filters, effects, compression, and it's probably about as close to Ableton Live you can get in hardware form.

It's built in synths, pianos, guitars, drums, pads, etc are decent. You can sequence your external synths, drum machines, samplers with ease. It's sampler is similar to a A3000, and I was able to turn a Al Green track into a funky house track with a bit of practice.

However! It takes a bit of learning to know it inside/out. You're going to need to print out its manual at your local library or Kinkos. It can sequence midi files, but only can load/save them from smart media cards. (Which are hard to find) They made this before the Internet age, and the Smart Media quickly dated this unit.

I had to sell it when I hit hard times, and I miss it sometimes. Would I want another? Only if I saw a better deal than I bought it originally. But I'd love to try out a Roland MC909 & compare them side by side. But it would be cumbersome to own both unless my room were bigger.

Would I recommend one? Depends on what you think you need/want it for. If you need everything it has to offer, and you're willing to put up with its steep learning curve, then yeah, get one. If you are doing fine with your chosen MPC, but want to toss in some synths & effects, you might just want to shop around for some cheap used rackmount synths/effects that will take up much less space. It's really up to you.
By Wormhelmet Sat Jun 03, 2017 11:27 pm
First major sampler/sequencer was SU700. Always wanted an RS7000 as it was the SU700 + RM1x in the same box with better sample RAM capacity.

Got my mv8800 now but almost went rs7000 when I stopped the pc ITB studio work. SU700 had a sequencer bug that was fixed with EEPROM upgrade. Forgot which version fixed it. I think 1.22, but could be wrong on that. I had my SU700 maxed with 8 out card and zip drive, plus max RAM

Beast of a sampler. I did everything with it. Sampled tv, my guitar, my synths, any source I could, then synced it with my hardware synths and an mc303. Back when I was younger and more creative...
By seriousgroove Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:58 pm
Its a very straight forward worflow. Every parameter at hand. No menu diving. Excellent for live performance. FX are very good! Could be very well one of the best remixers hardware out there. I'd take it over any MPC except the MPC60. One of these gems that never got much attention...