Forum for all other samplers & synths such as Maschine, MVs, Akai S & Z series, Roland, Korg, OP-1, analog synths etc.
By Ian Canefire Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:01 pm
I just watched the sonic state videos. I doubt I will be buying the TB3 or the 808/909 clone. I already have all of those sounds in various gear. I did not watch the keyboard video yet. I still want the original 909 someday, but I don't think it is worth $2000 so it looks like I am still good with m old faithful stuff.

cheers,
Ian
By distortedtekno Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:29 pm
These look like fun, even though I see some of their shortcomings...

Copying patterns from bank 1 to bank 2 on the TR-08 doesn't work.
The TB-3 doesn't have dedicated knobs for Envelope and Decay (but those parameters can be adjusted on the touch screen).
The System 1 synth has no velocity.

I'm sure there's a few more things to add to that list, and hopefully some of those issues can be fixed with a firmware update. Regardless of any issues, I'd still love to try them all out, and I hope they set up some demo units at the Guitar Center near me (they never set up shit anymore). A few fixes for the TR-8 and the System 1 would be cool. I'll pass on the TB-3, since I own a x0xb0x (and I'm extremely picky about 303 clones).
By Ian Canefire Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:15 pm
System 1 questions, how many models will they create and will it be any better than the roland samples that i have in the mpc 4000? Cool concept.

Question regarding the TB what is the difference between it and the TB sounds in the DR 880, the MC909, the v-synth and the fantom series? If it is the same TB sounds then is it just a small dimensioned one trick pony box?

The TR machine, I think it is great that it has both 808 and 909, but again if it is the same sounds that are in the Fantom, the srx cards, the DR 880, the sonic cell and the MC909, then is it a two trick pony?

The vocal unit is that the same as the BOSS VE-20, the vocal card in the V-synth XT (& the actual VC-2 card that is rare) and the vocal effects cards in the Roland VS recorders? It seems that way.

It appears that if you are just getting into the buying game then you are in luck because you will have new knobs to twiddle. However if you already own Roland and Boss gear then the benefits are minimal.

Then again some of the old gear had bugs or unfinished OS. I was hoping for multiple outputs at least. The old TR's had multiple outputs as did the old yamaha drum machines.

Not sure if I should laugh or cry.

I think an executive needs to be guillotined over there.

Ian

PS In case I am asked well what would you have done differently
3 oscillators at least one analog (or one analog and one pcm voice, or just one analog voice or maybe half an analog voice pretty please)
multiple outs
loop points that can overlap
kick ass polyphony for layering and layering and layering
sampling maybe in the TR ( my goodness we got by with 5mb in the old days)
last but not least the ability to have a drum beat in a sequence switch on the fly from a 4/4 to a different time signature.
Last edited by Ian Canefire on Sat Feb 15, 2014 3:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Coz Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:39 pm
I quite like the look and feature set of the drum machine. I imagine it's the best sounding 808/909 'recreation' they've made to date.

The audio interface also makes it appealing for DAW users.
By psr Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:02 pm
Looks like good price under $600 for an 808 clone by the originators of the 808 but honestly the pattern deal gives me a headache, "you dont save the pattern you edit it?" am i hearing that right? oh well. cool to hear about the new technology so carefully modeled and recreated. Word has it that its a "dead ringer"

about that synth... is this just another roland analog modeling synth or is it really something new? havent finished the sonic state vids yet.
By psr Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:09 pm
Ahhhh digging the plug out deal. even though it wont host none roland plug ins but it will be cool to see all the new roland classics as plug ins. Imagine having a roland Juno 106 and a sh101 actual roland plugins in a hybrid controller..... SICK

looks like they are staring down Arturia like we shall rival you and your V collection / keylab controllers

Imwatching the damn show down like :popcorn:
By SimonInAustralia Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:21 pm
distortedtekno wrote:These look like fun, even though I see some of their shortcomings...

Copying patterns from bank 1 to bank 2 on the TR-08 doesn't work.
The TB-3 doesn't have dedicated knobs for Envelope and Decay (but those parameters can be adjusted on the touch screen).
The System 1 synth has no velocity.

TR-8 seems to only have 16 patterns, and it seems to have no chaining of patterns into songs.

And it seems that without having a save option, anything you change in the sequence, or the sound parameters, seems to be automatically saved when you change it.

Coz wrote:The audio interface also makes it appealing for DAW users.

Will have to see how it integrates with non-Aira audio interface drivers, and with multiple Aira audio interfaces hooked up at once.

psr wrote:Ahhhh digging the plug out deal. even though it wont host none roland plug ins but it will be cool to see all the new roland classics as plug ins. Imagine having a roland Juno 106 and a sh101 actual roland plugins in a hybrid controller..... SICK

looks like they are staring down Arturia like we shall rival you and your V collection / keylab controllers

After the Varios module only getting 2 extra algorithm cards released, the VC-1 D-50 and VC-2 Vocal Designer cards, I am a little skeptical of how many additional System-1 synth models we will actually get.

Though, it seems that the System-1 shares algorithms somehow with equivalent Roland DAW plugin instruments, so those forthcoming Roland plugin synth products, and the low price of the Aira boxes, might make the market large enough to support a longer actual ongoing synth model development.

Maybe they will offer larger plug-out synth models in the future, more similar to their vintage polysynths in size, and offering more processing power for higher polyphony.
By Blue Haze Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:27 am

Even though I have tons of samples along with virtura synths, i always wanted
a drum synth machine. Over here the 808 and 909s are at least 1500 to 2000 without the midi mod on 808s. To me at least in the land of Rolands and Yamahas it is a no brainer I will get one plus I like it`s integration with my DAWs.
By Ian Canefire Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:00 am
I am definitely buying the system 1. I really like the sounds, and the specs. Can't wait to give it a real test. If it truly has no stepping that is awesome.

I want that super square.
peace
ian

EDIT
PS "I may have just changed my mind again. lol"
Last edited by Ian Canefire on Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
By Coz Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:46 am
I have to admit that I don't really get the System 1. Being standalone and upgradeable is cool, as is having some kind of integration with the computer.

A 2 octave keyboard with no velocity and 4 note poly is not so cool on a VA synth though. I think if it takes off it's destined to be upgraded to the System 2 in a few years, leaving System 1 owners with an inferior controller. I'm yet to be convinced.
By psr Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:56 am
Coz wrote:Even from a **** youtube vid you can hear the filters sound harsh. They sound virtually identical to the Gaia.

I thought the same from the dance fair show thing video from sonicstate featuring the system1. didnt dig the digi sounding presets that cat played. kind of leaves a bad taste in my mouth. but i still am curious to see the plug out emus develop. like a keys version of the receptor sort of... save processor or disconnect totally still playing a plug. dope concept. interested to see how that sounds

Blue Haze wrote:

most intriguing demo of the aira tr8 and tb3 nice. :nod: :nod: