Forum for all other samplers & synths such as Maschine, MVs, Akai S & Z series, Roland, Korg, OP-1, analog synths etc.
By distortedtekno Sat Dec 20, 2014 4:27 pm
JVC wrote:
enotide wrote:The First Expansion pack is to be released this friday (the19th) TR-707 and TR 727 plus a few extra 808 and 909 bits.

https://contentstore.roland.com/aira/?_ ... 1418395614

They charge this for $95? It sounds a bit too high.

All of Roland's plugins (plug outs) are very expensive. The System-1 plug outs cost even more. I know a lot of people would agree that the price is too high. But to have a synth and a drum machine be expandable with their new technology seems worth it to me, from all I've seen. Back in the day, memory cartridges with sound expansions were just as costly when comparing inflation. Seems fair to me, and the technology is better. I hope to see more from Roland with the Tr-8 and the System 1.
By fooddude Sat Dec 20, 2014 5:43 pm
distortedtekno wrote:Back in the day, memory cartridges with sound expansions were just as costly when comparing inflation. Seems fair to me, and the technology is better. I hope to see more from Roland with the Tr-8 and the System 1.

One difference between those old hardware cartridges and sound expansions (ie: jv80 cards, dx7 cards, sample pack floppies, etc.) and these new software plug-outs and other types of software firmware mods, is that at least you can purchase the hardware carts/expansion-cards second-hand for much cheaper than retail (say on CL or eBay 5, 10, 15 years from now). Software mods and plug-outs, if I'm not mistaken, can only be bought brand new, only at retail price and only can be registered/used by a single user/customer/machine. And, what happens if Roland ceases to exist 30 years from now or stops supporting "plug-outs" at one point? ..We would have no way to acquire them any longer on the used market, unlike hardware cartridges and cards.

Regardless...I am really diggin and attracted to this TR-8 and its' future plug-out potential and releases. Sounds excellent and beats spending a few hours sampling into my 60, the old school way, only to be left with static (though punchy and crispy as heck ;)), non-tweakable drums.
Last edited by fooddude on Sat Dec 20, 2014 5:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.
By Ian Canefire Sat Dec 20, 2014 5:56 pm
THe mc909 can be had for $200 - $300 and it has the 707 and 727 in it. THose are also in the DR880. THat is what I meant by it being in other gear. Plus it is digital so you can easily get the sound online and put it in an mpc. Not sure in this day and age if itis worth it to buy those particular sounds.
People in hear can probably give you those sounds for free.

I guess for $50 it is worth it. But for no dollars you can get samples.
Peace
IAn
By fluxsta Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:56 pm
I own tha entire aira range and what people don't realise is that this is surprisingly cheap. It's not a plug in but effectively an entire update and like buying a brand new drum machine. In today's freebie culture I think people forget that businesses need to make money and the ability to modify one sound via hardware in a hands on approach simply doesn't provide as much satisfaction as mouse clicking a .wav file of a cowbell. I love working with all to them and will be purchasing the sounds
By mr_debauch Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:16 pm
isn't it possible to make your own patches? I mean, maybe these plug outs are a virtual synth generated live, but with 7x7 modelling? That would be different that static samples.... however it still would be nice to make your own custom patches with any sounds you want, including all the X0X samples everyone has in their collection.