Forum for all other samplers & synths such as Maschine, MVs, Akai S & Z series, Roland, Korg, OP-1, analog synths etc.
By Lampdog Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:51 pm
reeloy wrote:we don't need simulations in plasticboxes...we need the real thing.....

JUKE 179r wrote: :popcorn:

I know right! :lol:

Icwutudidthar!

LAMP 179r wrote: :popcorn:
By psr Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:25 pm
v00d00ppl wrote:I smell fully digital drum machine like a machinedrum or Arturia spark knock off

yeah not thinking hybrid. Roland may not see analog as economical anymore. wouldnt hold my breath on analog unfirtunately these boys are digeeetall
By psr Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:18 pm
SimonInAustralia wrote:Not necessarily a bad thing, could end being a really good drum machine in it's own right, doesn't really have to be a analogue clone of the 808 and 909.

great point. I wouldnt doubt that it may be dope but when you name it along the lines with a classic you know what folks expect.

I think Akai Pro did a good thing by not naming the 5000 the 3500 in that regard. folks would expect something else. problem was saying 5000 with lesser specs than the 4000 wasnt so great either. but anyway I digress.

good point. it may be great. but why dick around with that particular beloved name.
By Coz Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:59 am
psr wrote:but why dick around with that particular beloved name.

Roland have got form when it comes to dredging up the names of their previous classics (Juno, Jupiter etc) and coming out with something completely different.

A modelled 808/909 is one thing, but I can't imagine a completely digital 303/101. :hmmm:

Looking forward to finding out a bit more, although the Sub 37 may finally convince me to get a Moog this year. :smoker:
By Coz Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:06 am
I love the 303 sound but I don't know how it'd fit into the stuff I do. If I ever have £400 burning a hole in my pocket I'll pick up the TT-303. It sounds close enough to me.
By Unfolding Machines Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:22 am
[rant]If that OP-1 forum fella's right about Roland wanting a low (ie AFFORDABLE) price on this thing then of course they're gonna go digital! The Aira's got TEN drum parts on it. That's TEN analog oscillators they need per instrument if it's to play like the old 808 (which has 12 drum parts & 12 voice polyphony). Korg's Volca Beats has 3 oscillators spread over 10 parts. That's taking the cheap road 'cause it can only play 3 sounds at once. Who'd honestly want a severely crippled analog oscillator 808 over a fully functional digital oscialltor 808?

What the sh*t is the deal with the 'NEEDS TO BE ANALOG OR ELSE FAIL' attitude? Its narrow minded & boring.

We all know our samplers are digital, right? Just like most amplifiers, mics, recording gear, mastering gear & playback mediums (CDs, MP3s etc). Hell the vast majority of modern records are digitally recorded and mastered, meaning they only sound a little better than a CD when compared to a virgin quality record from 1970.

As an argument its at most null or at least lame because in getting that analog warmth to your ears it will be affected by digital processing somewhere along the line. What's turned digital will always have a digital character, that's how 1s and 0s work. Don't forget that an objectively good sound engineer should be able to get a subjectively good recording & master of anything put in front of them, regardless of the gear used. As Simon said (hands on your head!) a digital TR might not be a bad thing if Roland gets it sounding nice.

If anyone's gonna keep moaning about analog vs digital, go burn all your musical equipment, records, tapes & CDs made after 1980 then make angry love to Steve Albini. Or better yet: give it to me & I'll appreciate it.[/rant]
By Coz Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:20 pm
^^ Subjectively speaking, you sound pretty clueless. :lol:

Roland drumming up hype by milking their analogue heyday is no different to the overhyped and under-delivered Ren/Studio from Akai.

A cheap VA/SuperNatural/digitally modelled 808 might be a huge success at the right price. I'll wait to hear it and find out how they have "evolved" the concept before I draw any conclusions.
By SimonInAustralia Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:49 am
Unfolding Machines wrote:[rant]We all know our samplers are digital, right? Just like most amplifiers, mics, recording gear, mastering gear & playback mediums (CDs, MP3s etc).

Nah...some samplers have analogue filters. Some amps are digital, a lot are analogue. All mics are analogue. Mic preamps are analogue, non-ITB compressors/limiters/EQ mostly analogue. Real mastering engineers often master in analogue.

Unfolding Machines wrote:[morerant]As an argument its at most null or at least lame because in getting that analog warmth to your ears it will be affected by digital processing somewhere along the line. What's turned digital will always have a digital character, that's how 1s and 0s work.

Nah...a large part of the 808 sound is the interaction between analogue components, even when recording to a digital format, you are recording the result of those analogue component interactions.

As you get to higher sample rates, and with good quality equipment, you get more close to what goes in sounding the same as what goes out.
By reeloy Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:56 am
...it's not the next story of analog is so warm n stuff....

it's about raw expression....about instant tweakability...

and about the fact that we all have thousands and thousands 808 kiks in our libs...

make the 808 kik sing in realtime is what we need these days.....

check a monotribe on a big soundsystem and then we're talking....

if roland would go for something state of the art in that direction, take a monotribe as a starting point, they would have a big seller for sure.....

but the aira series is just some blinking lights for teenager birthdays and x mas trees....i'm afraid....and that's a sad thing...
poor roland.....they just don't get it....the true analog factor is the main reason for korgs new success....

and who needs a 303 if you can get one of the best true analog synth ever, brand new and for under 300 bucks....a 303 aciiiid line is easy peasy for arturias micro brute....
another big succes by the way....hey roland, wake up....

but for sure, it will be full digital and still cost over 400 bucks....go and die.....
By Coz Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:55 pm
reeloy wrote:go and die

You were doing really well until you got to this bit. :lol:

The best 'cheap' analogue I've heard recently is the Pulse 2. The range of sounds you can get out of it is impressive, so I'm hoping they'll release a keyboard version soon. :popcorn: