Forum for all other samplers & synths such as Maschine, MVs, Akai S & Z series, Roland, Korg, OP-1, analog synths etc.
By manji Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:38 pm
Hey guys, I was thinkinga bout snagging a korg emx for some pretty simple sequencing, and having it drive my z8. I've had an emx before and I remember them really well, but can I sequence chords from a controller hooked up to the emx and have those chords go to the z8?

I know the synth parts are monophonic, and those "parts" are where I'd be sequencing my non-drum stuff, so I just wanted to make sure itw as JUST the synth that was monophonic, and not the emx sequencer as well. Thanks.
By Deck Lazer Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:47 pm
emx have indeed only monophonic sequencers.
however you can set all of the parts for on 1 channel and have five poly voices.
not ideat tho but can be interesting.
also maybe there is a midibox out there that converts a one note trigger into a chord like the ableton midi devices.

actually the mono parts is something i miss from the mx.
it makes you work on the basic idea harder and work against the quantized steps.
as usual the limitations are also the strengths.
i miss the emx. rock solid imo.

one other possibility for similar sequencer is getting a volca keys and modding the midi out. (amazingmachines sells a kit)
i believe you get three notes poly.
By THE ADVERSARY Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:05 pm
Download the manual and see if the sequencer has the ability to accomplish exactly what you want to try.
Short-cutting on your sequencer usually just leads to headaches instead of creativity.
By Lau Fri Nov 28, 2014 4:10 pm
Yep old post but I was testing Emx with Z8 (in fact mpc4k sampler, it's the same)
I don't use the synth part on the z8 (but with other synth it's okay) monophonic only as said Deck Lazer
Just useful to know if someone want to sequence Drum with part drum :
There is only one channel for every pads on this part... you must deal with notes on the same channel.

If you want a correspondance between drum part potentionmeter per pads and mpc .. the korg send nrpn......the Z8, I guess is alos identical to mpc4K sampler on this point , don't receive it.. you need a midi converter to translate it in CC ..

Ok on this pont for synth parts because it's translate cc ..

If i see something else or made a mistake i will re post
By innovine Mon Dec 08, 2014 7:08 am
Doesn't sequence chords. But as mentioned you can send from several parts to one midi channel.

Th part mutes are sent as nrpm messages which might confuse othr gear.

Secuence wise, the emx is excellent for cc's, you chn assign most cc's to knobs and record and overwrite the cc messages really easily. And you have that ribbon/slider thing for sequencing monophonic lines. So it is really good for these, and not much else.
By T-Virus Mon Dec 08, 2014 5:02 pm
I just got one and I use it in ABLETON with the external istrument works great. But I've had some midi issues. Just ordered new vacuum tubes. There is a VST that controls the emx.