Forum for all other samplers & synths such as Maschine, MVs, Akai S & Z series, Roland, Korg, OP-1, analog synths etc.
By belzrebuth Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:39 pm
Hi all,
i recently got a S1100 but i can't find any way of chopping a sample just like my S2800 or 3000xl.A workaround involves copying the sample multiple times and trimming it but is that really the way it's supposed to be done or am i missing something?
I looked at the manual too but no luck.
By phineus Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:10 pm
Yeah you have to name/copy samples. it's the oldskool akai way, the pre 3000 era way, there's no 'extracting' 10 samples out of 1 thingie.
By peterpiper Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:31 pm
Welcome to old school chopping.
Don't worry. After a few days/weeks this process will be burned into your brain and your hands will be in a kind of "auto-mode"

:)

peace
By Clint Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:46 am
belzrebuth wrote:i recently got a S1100 but i can't find any way of chopping a sample just like my S2800 or 3000xl.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks.
By peterpiper Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:03 am
Clint wrote:
belzrebuth wrote:i recently got a S1100 but i can't find any way of chopping a sample just like my S2800 or 3000xl.

there are some old dogs that have learnd new tricks

TX16w
MPC1000

but yes, s1100 is not that kind of dog

:)

peace
By amenphetamine Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:00 pm
Clint wrote:

Just if your name isn't Roger or Rohan :lol:
By belzrebuth Sat Oct 18, 2014 7:02 pm
I just thought of letting you guys know that I'm now very comfortable chopping samples the "old-way".I used the S1100 exclusively since I started this thread so now the process seems very natural.
The only thing that sucks in terms or accuracy is the waveform display which is really terrible with the tiny dots etc but I found my way around this too. :nod:
I also noticed that the fastest and best sounding way of transfering samples is just recording directly into the Akai instead of trying to burn converting samples,burning floppies and whatnot!I messed with SCSI midi and floppy transfer in the past but nowadays I find it easier to record straight in.It seems tedious but it's simpler than the other ways IMO.
By belzrebuth Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:39 pm
You can actually get interesting results (especially on breaks) when chopping like this.
Less precise but way more interesting.
I tend to cut chops starting with snares or kicks carefully and others more loosely so most times I don't know exactly what I'll get when sequencing from my DAW.
It's a hassle but I like the sound and feel of it.