Forum for all other samplers & synths such as Maschine, MVs, Akai S & Z series, Roland, Korg, OP-1, analog synths etc.
By breakz Fri Sep 26, 2014 2:53 pm
so,in case the floppy is not working what's the best alternative ?

Iomega zip drive ? cf card reader? or do I need to have the floppy working ?

I am particularly interested for the S3200 model,does it boot on its own or does it need to boot from a floppy drive? and it can boot also from an alternative like zip drive or cf?

prices for a floppy drive ? I have a floppy from my old pc are those compatible ?

thanks.
By jibber Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:15 pm
Nah, it doesn't need a disk to boot up. You can try the old floppy you have from the PC, it might work (jumper settings are crucial).

You might have to try a few different ones until you find one that works. I'm not sure where to direct you to find more information on what models will work... SimonInAustralia might be able to help.
By SimonInAustralia Thu Oct 09, 2014 1:40 am
I have not had any experience with S3200s.

Maybe pull the floppy drive out that is in there, and replace it with the PC floppy drive you have.

If the PC floppy drive doesn't work right away, find a manual or jumper settings for the particular make/model floppy drive that you pulled out of the S3200, see what the jumpers on it are set to, find a manual or jumper settings for your PC floppy drive make/model, and set it the same.

Other options might be to add an internal SCSI card reader or Zip drive (Zip not very reliable, so not recommended), or some sort of USB floppy emulator to replace the floppy drive (if you don't need an actual floppy drive in it).

There is the larger slot to the left of the floppy drive bay, so you can add some sort of drive/reader in there, and still keep a floppy drive or floppy emulator in the floppy drive bay.