Forum for all other samplers & synths such as Maschine, MVs, Akai S & Z series, Roland, Korg, OP-1, analog synths etc.
By Fanu Sun Oct 05, 2014 5:35 pm

Just to give something back to the community…the bass-loving community!

This goes out to the producers who discuss music production stuff with me every day, whether it be thru emails, on forums, via this page, via my Twitter account…
Truth be told, I’ve always been a little bit of a teacher by nature, and I like it.

In addition to all the producer/DJ/artist/record-label stuff I do as a main hustle, I give electronic music tuition in Helsinki, but also, I give production advice, tips and discuss relevant stuff with the online community as well whenever I have time.
I think we’re all nicely feeding off of each other’s vibes, so here’s something back as a thank-you.

I put together a pack of bass sounds I’ve recorded from my analog Microbrute synth. It’s a small, monophonic beast that creates some pretty hefty bass sounds.
The sounds in the pack are not anything super dirty, but they have nice (over)tones that will cut nicely thru your mix, and also, they should be something you can sculpt into many different shapes yourself.

TO DOWNLOAD THE PACK: go to my official website at www.fanumusic.com

Happy producing…and feel free to share!
By jibber Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:28 pm
Fanu wrote: I give electronic music tuition in Helsinki

How did you start this and how does it work if you don't mind me asking?

I've been thinking about doing this maybe, not for money, just voluntary. I've been told by several people i'd be a good teacher, but have no idea how to offer this. I'm not an expert either, i think of it as giving my knowledge about sample based music to beginners who are lost with all this stuff at the beginning.

Would be nice to hear your input / thoughts / experiences with this.

Peace.

PS: Nice of you to give back to the community, props!
By Fanu Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:08 pm
jibber wrote:

Well, I put a few things together: I graduated from the uni (MA, English + teaching + translation) in 2009, and I've been making electronic music for over 20 years.
I've done quite a bit of teaching…and I used to do private English teaching, too, but at some point I dropped that as it didn't feel rewarding in any way.

I initiated the idea of giving Ableton tuition two+ years ago, posting about it on local forums to see if anyone'd be into it. Somebody saw it and hired me to do a 2-day workshop at a school, and that felt pretty natural. Kept posting about it on forums (still do), and it spreads slowly and people hit you up.

I guess being "out there" as an established artist helps a bit, as people know you've been making music. I don't do it superduper much as there isn't THAT much demand here, but every once in a while somebody hits me up and wants private tuition.
It's a side-hustle, and a nice one, too, and as music is my passion, I like teaching it to others (whereas giving private English teaching to students who were not into the subject that much really didn't feel worth my time).

Haha, I got booked to do a little private MPC 2500 workshop next week; a women wants that for his husband who hasn't even taken his MPC out of the box…lol.
By 313 studio tricks Tue Oct 07, 2014 5:01 am
jibber wrote:

I've been thinking about doing this maybe, not for money, just voluntary. I've been told by several people i'd be a good teacher, but have no idea how to offer this. I'm not an expert either, i think of it as giving my knowledge about sample based music to beginners who are lost with all this stuff at the beginning.

Peace.

will you school me jibber? on stuff like which is the best drum machine, and how to make hip hop an stuff? i wanna know about sample based music, what do you need to make it? is talent required? wait, are you 'out there'? why should i hire you? are you an actual produca? ok nvrmnd
By Fanu Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:23 am
313 studio tricks wrote:
jibber wrote:

Peace.

will you school me jibber? on stuff like which is the best drum machine, and how to make hip hop an stuff? i wanna know about sample based music, what do you need to make it? is talent required? wait, are you 'out there'? why should i hire you? are you an actual produca? ok nvrmnd

Yes, I can do it – but not for free.

And as for being out there: http://www.discogs.com/artist/168523-Fanu

EDIT: Uh, you were talking to him, not me. Sorry!
By jibber Wed Oct 08, 2014 7:42 am
Fanu,

He's just upset with me from another thread where he felt offended by what i said. He doesn't actually want tuition from anybody.

Thanks a lot for sharing your experience!

Peace.
By distortedtekno Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:16 am
Lets keep the e-beef in the Off-Topic forum.

Fanu, thanks for sharing those samples. The MicroBrute is a fun little synth. I bought one and returned it a few months ago. The music store I ordered it from had a batch of defective units. I might consider buying a MicroBrute SE eventually. I miss the sound of those filters.
By Fanu Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:00 pm
distortedtekno wrote:Lets keep the e-beef in the Off-Topic forum.

Fanu, thanks for sharing those samples. The MicroBrute is a fun little synth. I bought one and returned it a few months ago. The music store I ordered it from had a batch of defective units. I might consider buying a MicroBrute SE eventually. I miss the sound of those filters.

Was the pitch wheel defective? I had that. There's been many of those…it can be fixed by firmware updating the device (the app is for PC only).
By distortedtekno Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:24 pm
The first unit that arrived had the pitch wheel problem. I did update the firmware at the time. But it didn't help. So I returned it and got a replacement. The replacement had a defective potentiometer in the filter section and the keys were all at uneven heights. So I returned that replacement and had another one shipped out to me. This one had the pitch wheel defect just like the first one. I felt like I had no choice but to send it back and get a refund, as it was costing me a lot of time and the music store a lot of money in shipping. I wish these issues didn't exist since I really enjoyed creating sounds with the MicroBrute. Hopefully they improved their Quality Control within the past 6 months, since these issues have been reported by quite a few people on Arturia's web forum. I'd like to buy a MiniBrute SE since the keys are bigger and seem to have a better build quality. At the time I returned the MicroBrute, I didn't have the extra $300 for the MiniBrute SE. So I bought an SP-404SX for exactly the same price as the MicroBrute. I have no regrets buying the 404SX. I love it, and I'm looking forward to load up some of the samples you shared. But I still miss the MicroBrute.