Forum for all other samplers & synths such as Maschine, MVs, Akai S & Z series, Roland, Korg, OP-1, analog synths etc.
By NLAlston Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:17 pm
When I went to purchase my MK2, recently, I had wanted the black one. It turned out that they (Guitar Center) had the white, and the Limited Edition Gold one available. I had bought the white one, but had to return it due to the lack of software being included. So, I came home with the gold one. I am not real partial to the gold - especially on the business side (top) of my unit - and considered getting a black faceplate. However, in looking at such offerings on Amazon, there was notice that the face plates were only for the white, or black MK2's. I am led to wonder, now, if there are any other differences between the Limited Edition MK2's, outside of that 'face plate changing' limitation. Googling, didn't produce any information on this, and I just wonder if anyone, here, knows of anything.

But, man, I sure would have LOVED to have been able to put a black face plate, with matching black knobs, on my new friend.
By NLAlston Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:23 pm
**** wrote:Can you lift off the gold faceplate?

I JUST attempted that, and it did lift up a bit. So, by that, I assume that I should be good to go. I am left with a lack of understanding why Amazon.com's description - for EACH of the face plates - gave notice that they were for the white, or black MK2's.

Oh well, It's now about me heading back there to order one. I had wanted a black face plate, but feel that a black one may not be offered. On Amazon's site, the darkest I had found was the 'smoked' plate. But that one may have to work.

Thanks.
By NLAlston Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:49 pm
Just done some more searching around, and have concluded that a black face plate just isn't available. At Sweetwater, I was able to see a larger image of the 'smoked' plate, and was left with the determination that it wasn't for me. Actually, though, it isn't the gold plate - in and of itself - that I have distaste for, but the color of those nine knobs. I would love to take them off, and spray them with some black plastiKote. Having that done would (to me) be a visual improvement. And that brings me to a question to ask:

What would be the best alternative tool to use (seeing as how I don't have the specialized knob removal tool) by which to SAFELY remove these knobs?

Advanced thanks.
By NLAlston Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:24 pm
**** wrote:You just pull them off. No tool required.

OK. Good enough.

I'd asked only because of having learned that the face plates came with a special tool for removing the knobs. I am very particular about my gear, and don't want even the slightest scratch it :). But, with just pulling them off being enough, that won't be a worry.

Again, thanks.